Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminary wishlist
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 11:35 am
This is my daughters wish list for Seminary for next year. This list is in order of importance.

1. Down to earth, solid, low maintenance girls
2. Bais Yaakov “light” Hashkafa.
3. Very warm atmosphere
4. A seminary that is focused a bit more on learning Lishma instead of intense academics.
5. Growth oriented and inspirational
6. Opportunity to establish strong relationships

Due to our extensive research in real life and along with the schools help we are strongly considering Ateres.

Do any other schools that you know of fit this list nicely? Although these schools weren’t recommended to my daughter, I’m wondering if she should consider applying to BYA, Kitov Sachra or Meohr. Any and all feedback is appreciated!!

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 12:17 pm
Another seminary I can think of with this description is maybe, Bnos Avigail (Rebetzin Heller's seminary)?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 1:48 pm
Thanks Chayelle!

We were also very interested in Bnos Avigayil, but have been informed that Bnos Avigayil does not typically accept girls that went to my daughters high school. Sad

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 1:52 pm
So...Ateres, I've heard, has an amazing staff. However, I've heard from two people who went there that the type of girls they get varies....some really nice girls, but some not so much. You want to make sure the Chevra is one your daughter will be happy with.

BYA - heard that it's a good, solid crowd, but not sure how "lite" the Hashkafa is.

Meohr - the girls I know who went there were more in-town, not so low on the maintenance. Might not be majority of the seminary.

I don't know about Kitov Sachra.

doctorima

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 3:09 pm
What a shame about Bnos Avigayil! I'm not currently in the seminary parsha, but a girl we know well went there recently and loved it, and your checklist sounds like everything she loved about it. Any possibility of getting in touch with them, or somebody who knows Rebbetzin Heller, to convince them to at least meet your DD and give her an interview?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 8:42 am
I wish I had the means of doing that doctorima, I really do. Over the years, I always pictured my daughter there. It's really sad that the option doesn't even seem open to her.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 9:07 am
I went to BYA. Trust me, the hashkafa there is as far from "Bais Yaakov lite" as you can get. I think they're one of the most chareidi seminaries that exists. The girls my year were mostly solid, low maintenance, good girls.

I was going to suggest Ateres based on your description.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 9:09 am
amother wrote:
I wish I had the means of doing that doctorima, I really do. Over the years, I always pictured my daughter there. It's really sad that the option doesn't even seem open to her.

Do you know why Bnos Avigayil doesn't accept from your dd's school?

I wonder... Rebbetzin Heller always seemed very open-minded and down-to-earth. My sister interviewed with her and was very open and honest. I think Rebbetzin Heller liked that.

Is there any way for your daughter to apply and explain that even though her school may not fit the mold there, she really wants to go to grow and learn?

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 10:05 am
Smileforamile, I feel your love and concern. And it really means a lot to me. Your way of handeling the situation is 100% correct if I felt there was a chance.

Friends of mine from this high school have reached out directly to the seminary in past years and it didn’t work out well.

I’m pretty convinced it’s not an option for my daughter 😞

rdmom

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:40 am
My daughter is in ateres right now.

If you want info, I can help with that.

Kitov, from what I have seen, is very chasidish

Meohr, my daughter has some friends there. Not low maintenance at all.

I think ateres fits the bill. They are a very nice mix of girls, out of town feel.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:48 am
Thanks rdmom!

Yes! I would love to know how your daughter is enjoying so far.

Is she happy with the environment?
How is the workload?
Are they served 3 meals a day?
How often does she need to find a place for Shabbos?

Thank you so much!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:59 am
And just to throw this out there, do you think it would be worth it to consider a more academic seminary as a second choice like Machon Raaya or Bnos Sara?

My daughters main criteria is to be amongst sweet, inclusive, low maintenance girls. She would rather not be inundated with work, but would be willing to do that if she is going to get everything else on her list. She is a very hard worker and has great grades BH but has to work very hard to achieve her average.

Shuly

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 12:01 pm
Lahav also sounds like a good fit.
It's half a year but there is the option to stay until Pesach which is almost the full year.

I just had 6 girls from there for a shabbos meal and I was very impressed with them.

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 6:19 pm
My daughter is in lahav this year it def sounds exactly what you are describing. She is very happy there bh.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 9:32 am
amother wrote:
And just to throw this out there, do you think it would be worth it to consider a more academic seminary as a second choice like Machon Raaya or Bnos Sara?

My daughters main criteria is to be amongst sweet, inclusive, low maintenance girls. She would rather not be inundated with work, but would be willing to do that if she is going to get everything else on her list. She is a very hard worker and has great grades BH but has to work very hard to achieve her average.

Machon Raaya has a lot of high-maintenance, in-town girls. It doesn't sound like a good fit.

I have always been impressed with the girls from Bnos Sarah. They seem like very solid, inclusive, low maintenance girls. The thing is, it is more yeshivish, and it's quite difficult. The girls who go there work very hard. If your daughter is willing to deal with that for the sake of good girls, it's an excellent choice.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 9:44 am
what about kesser chaya?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 9:49 am
Afikei Torah or Scharfmans.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:16 am
smileforamile wrote:
Machon Raaya has a lot of high-maintenance, in-town girls. It doesn't sound like a good fit.

I have always been impressed with the girls from Bnos Sarah. They seem like very solid, inclusive, low maintenance girls. The thing is, it is more yeshivish, and it's quite difficult. The girls who go there work very hard. If your daughter is willing to deal with that for the sake of good girls, it's an excellent choice.

Bnos sarah was low maintenance when I sent my first daughter there. My second is there now, and it is no longer low maintenance.

doctorima

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
Bnos sarah was low maintenance when I sent my first daughter there. My second is there now, and it is no longer low maintenance.

I've heard this as well. I had a relative who went there many years ago and loved the low-key academic vibe, but I don't know that it still attracts the same crowd that it once did.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:29 am
My daughter is in bnos Sarah this year. she is extremely low maintenance and has many friends who are similar. But there are 100+ girls so there will always be high maintenance girls in the mix. She loves it but is working hard!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics