Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Borderline shooting is the 307th mass shooting in 2018

Is the spike in shootings due to more people with mental illness or are those with mental illness more prone to violence?
More people with mental illness  
 21%  [ 12 ]
People with mental illness are more prone to violence  
 45%  [ 25 ]
Other, please explain.  
 32%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 55

Mevater

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:13 am
13 dead.

It is the 307th mass shooting in the United States this year.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u.....33831

Why the spike in shootings?

A gunman who killed 12 people at a Thousand Oaks bar was a former U.S. Marine who may have been suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder

http://www.latimes.com/local/l......html

Are there now more people with mental illness or are those with mental illness more prone to violence?

pause

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 12:11 pm
I heard a theory that it might be the anti-depressants they're taking which messes with their brains and drives them to violence.

Mevater

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 2:27 pm
pause wrote:
I heard a theory that it might be the anti-depressants they're taking which messes with their brains and drives them to violence.

That makes a lot of sense. Ive heard that, statistically, some mental conditions worsen with the meds that were meant to help.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 2:31 pm
This guy had ptsd and the city was aware of his crazy outbursts. He had an illegal gun as well. He wasn’t crazy enough to be admitted to the mental instituation. They should consider changing the guidelines asap.

happyone

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 2:31 pm
Mental illness. Med responses and above all, Access to weapons.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 4:24 am
I think it's this: https://www.redstate.com/joesq.....-era/

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 4:48 am
yo'ma wrote:

Something is wrong with us, and it’s not gun culture or the number of guns we as a nation collectively possess. It’s about the fact that we are so quick to dismiss acts of evil in favor of a political point and so willing to dismiss these acts as anything other than a mental instability that the vast, vast majority of gun owners do not have.

It’s about the fact that we are so inclined to hate each other now, and that this has been normalized by our politicians and our media. We are no longer seeking the good in people, and we are dehumanizing in order to make ourselves feel better.

The natural result of all this is that life has no value. The 134 victims of major shootings Fox named in the tweet above were not seen as people by their shooters. If life were valued and humanity respected, we wouldn’t see this.

But, instead, the hatred and division are going to continue to be pushed by our supposed betters, and people will feed off of it.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Totally agreed.

Mevater

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 6:57 am
yo'ma wrote:

I dont think the reason for the most recent California Borderline shooting is that weve become a hate filled nation. Maybe other massacres but not this one.

In this specific case, I think the shooter is one of many vets who come back from war and cant make peace with the fact that they've killed others, or they yearn for the excitement/adrenaline rush of a war-like atmosphere, and they snap.

oneofakind

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 4:05 pm
Copy cat crimes. All the coverage of one incident gives the next angry or mentally ill person with guns the brilliant idea to do the same.

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 4:42 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Copy cat crimes. All the coverage of one incident gives the next angry or mentally ill person with guns the brilliant idea to do the same.

ITA

All the publicity from mainstream media and social media gives the idiots power. I have been saying for a long time that they should stop memorializing and glorifying the killer. They shouldn't mention his name.

dancingqueen

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 5:12 pm
flowerpower wrote:
This guy had ptsd and the city was aware of his crazy outbursts. He had an illegal gun as well. He wasn’t crazy enough to be admitted to the mental instituation. They should consider changing the guidelines asap.

The article says that he bought his gun legally.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 5:20 pm
This is a very balanced and nuanced article:

https://themighty.com/2018/11/.....11-10

Teomima

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 9:35 pm
I think a lot of it comes down to impulse control. We live in a day and age where life moves so fast. Everything is about instant gratification. The internet has brought the world to our fingertips, real life war experience as well as game simulation have redefined the harsh impact of one's actions, and the human element has been eliminated; you can do all your shopping online, with meeting or talking to a single real person.

The main correlation to mental illness is that people with mental illnesses tend to have poor impulse control. Things like veterans with PTSD do add another element, but also with the Columbine shooters, they were numbed to the repercussions of their actions, overexposed to death and destruction, thanks to the violent games they'd play. Poor impulse control, lack of ability to understand the repercussions, lack of ability to empathize, these are all repetative traits we've seen among the killers and, sadly, they happen to be very common traits among those with unstable/untreated mental illnesses.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics