Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Short winter fridays.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 9:12 am
How do you all manage to get ready for shabbos when friday is so short. I work till 2 and when I get home its one big rush.

jewishmom6

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 9:16 am
Everything is prepped in advance. All I need to do cook and heat up the food. last minute clean up...
Even in the summer fridays, I try to do as much as I can in advance. I find the busier I am on friday, the harder the kids. They need me.

mom!

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 9:17 am
Starting motzai Shabbos, every night do something small. Example: open diapers, open drinks, don't save the laundry for Thursday. Some cooking can be done on Wednesday. Make desserts on Sunday. When you go sleep Thursday night, just have to stick chicken in the oven/cholent on the crock pot. Come home from work, shower, bentch licht.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 9:19 am
The only way is to have shabbos ready before leaving to work (really Thurs night). Yes it's a rush even then but a manageable erev shabbos rush. I know how hard it is and some weeks wemanage and other wigs we rush rush.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 9:23 am
Do everything Thursday. Set the table, cook everything.... that’s the only way

pesek zman

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 9:24 am
I work till 3:30

Do every single thing on Thursday night

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 9:25 am
I do everything, including set the table,Thursday, even on the summer fridays. I dont go to bed Thursday night till everything is done, no matter how late. I never regret it, it changed my fridays.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 10:50 am
amother wrote:
How do you all manage to get ready for shabbos when friday is so short. I work till 2 and when I get home its one big rush.

I work till 3:15. You prep Thursday night. I also have my cleaning lady come on Friday to clean up before Shabbos (I'm not home, obviously I have a long-standing relationship with her).

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 11:05 pm
As everyone else said, you do everything earlier in the week. I started doing absolutely everything Thursday night (if not earlier) after a friend of mine, who is a "cook-everything-Friday-after-work" kind of person, once had a major mishap and didn't get home till about 15 seconds before shkiah.

I think even if I didn't work outside the home I would still do most if not all of my prep on Thursday. You never know what kind of emergency may happen on Friday. Your power or water get shut off for repairs, your dd goes into labor and calls you to take care of her kids, you have to take somebody to the hospital or the chevra kadisha calls you to do a tahara ch"v, really anything. So much better to know that whatever else happens, your house is clean and you have food ready for Shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note