Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I work in a chicken plant, ask me anything
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:05 pm
yo'ma wrote:
About how many chickens do they go through a day and about how many are kosher of those amounts?

My dh told me they used to do 500 cows a day and only about 300 were kosher. Now they do much less. Every single part gets used up because the factory is in a non kosher place and they work together somehow. Probably with chickens it's different, but is every part used up in different ways or is it all sold together?

The number of traif can vary widely. Most weeks we have maybe 100 or so traifs out of about 55,000-60,000 chickens. When the Giddin are bad, it can be hundreds or even thousands. BH, that doesn't happen often.

As I said before, we give the traif chickens to the non-jewish workers. When there are hundreds, we try to sell them, but aren't very successful. They are not as clean of feathers as from traif factories. A lot are given away to food banks or food kitchens.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:11 pm
InnerMe wrote:
Thanks for the answers!
Very interesting.
I just reminded myself.. there was a story in one of the magazines on succos about a dh that works in a chicken plant and a SIL whose jealous of his steady job, but masks her jealousy by ridiculing the job, and saying how awful it must be. But in that story the dh stays in the plant the entire week since it's far away.

Which brings to my next q: How long do you travel to the plant every day?
Did you move because of your job?
Do you ever need to stay late?

Many shochtim travel and stay away for the week. But not by us. Only 1 shochet travels and stays. The rest live here. Mashgichim too. It's 2.5 miles from my home to the plant. So it's usually 10 minutes or less to work.

No, the plant was here and so was I.

Stay late? I think I once stayed until 6pm. But most days we finish by 5. Or earlier.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 9:00 am
InnerMe wrote:
Thanks for the answers!
Very interesting.
I just reminded myself.. there was a story in one of the magazines on succos about a dh that works in a chicken plant and a SIL whose jealous of his steady job, but masks her jealousy by ridiculing the job, and saying how awful it must be. But in that story the dh stays in the plant the entire week since it's far away.

Which brings to my next q: How long do you travel to the plant every day?
Did you move because of your job?
Do you ever need to stay late?

With meat plants, they ususally stay all week or a whole season. Most plants are not near jewish communities, that I know of. Since my dh exports to Israel they have to use who the Rabanut sends and they're here for a whole season at a time, 5 months. My dh works in two plants, one is 2-2 1/2 hours away and the other is about 6-7 hours away.

samantha87

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 7:18 pm
amother wrote:
The number of traif can vary widely. Most weeks we have maybe 100 or so traifs out of about 55,000-60,000 chickens. When the Giddin are bad, it can be hundreds or even thousands. BH, that doesn't happen often.

As I said before, we give the traif chickens to the non-jewish workers. When there are hundreds, we try to sell them, but aren't very successful. They are not as clean of feathers as from traif factories. A lot are given away to food banks or food kitchens.

So, your plant shechts 1500 chickens an hour? Wow!

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 11:38 pm
samantha87 wrote:
So, your plant shechts 1500 chickens an hour? Wow!

More like 2100 an hour.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics