Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Why does store bought challa is not as good as homemade
Previous  1  2

nylon

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:29 pm
I have had some excellent bakery challah, and some very mediocre homemade. So it's not always.

I'm convinced that th quality of most bakeries has gone downhill. It's not just preservatives but cheaper ingredients, less care. They can also take shortcuts in the process to make it quicker to mix and rise which affects the texture.

Overall the standard for bakeries these days is more mediocre than excellent... and challah is a bread that works well in a home environment and comes out as well or better in a small batch. Some breads do better in the commercial bakery, or at least with someone who bakes frequently, like rye or sourdough. Or baguettes come out better in a professional oven. But challah was originally designed for a home baker and bakes just as well at home.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 11:51 pm
amother wrote:
They add stabilizers. You can add it too.
what's it called and where do you buy it? Is it unhealthy?

soundofsilence

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 4:16 am
my family prefers storebought.

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 5:04 am
I've never tasted a bakery challah better then homemade, but some bakeries are better then others. I've had some good ones in Israel.

I don't get it. Bakeries often make excellent bread but their challah is mediocre.

etky

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 5:22 am
You can get excellent bakery challah here in Israel, which is why I only started baking my own many years into my marriage, once the kids were somewhat older.
My family prefers my challah and it's much cheaper to bake them at home, but once in a while I don't bake and we buy bakery challah.
It's actually nice to have something slightly different for a change.
I've eaten many homemade challot at people's homes that did not taste as good as bakery challah. The two most prevalent issues are lack of salt and heaviness (especially with whole wheat).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen