Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Update on Nashville

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 8:28 am
Wanting any recent info on the Nashville community for a MO family with kids in elementary, middle and high school.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 7:37 pm
Okay, Nashville is not the center of Jewish life but does anyone have any info?

wellaways

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 7:57 pm
Not sure about Nashville...but DH and I were gifted a two night stay in a nice hotel in Chattanooga for our anniversary and when we got there I called the local Chabad for kosher restaurants/grocery and they essentially said "there's nothing why'd you come here" lol. Maybe there's more of a community in Nashville, who knows??

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:20 pm
I don't live there, but interested in the info. I found these:

https://www.jewishnashville.or.....ville

http://www.sherithisrael.com/p.....unity

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:40 pm
The one orthodox shul (other than Chabad) is very LWMO, with only maybe 10 shomer shabbos households (e.g. some are singles, retirees — not all families with kids) total in the congregation. Day school is pluralistic and only goes up to 6th grade. They’re piloting a hybrid online/supplementary Hebrew/Judaics middle school option, but I’m not sure how that’s going. All in all, you’d have to be comfortable with very reduced education options for your children and a very left-of-center orthodox community. Not a ton of peers for your kids

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:43 pm
As Seagreen mentioned, I believe that the shul, and the Rabbi there, are very LWMO. A friend of mine had to be there professionally for some period of time and was extremely uncomfortable with a number of issues that came up. Not knowing your hashkafa, I don't know if this will be an issue for you, but definitely look into it before making a major commitment to the community there.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Nov 12 2018, 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 8:12 am
Thanks for the info. Anyone out there with first-hand knowledge? (We are OOT already.)

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 8:28 am
Hi! My knowledge is firsthand. We lived there for a few years. I was also used to OOT communities (in fact, I really like them), but the constant halachic predicaments we were put in ("well, the rabbi does this, so why are you trying to be so separate from everyone..." for very, very basic things, not super right-wing chumras at all) and the lack of viable education and peer group options were too much for us.

But go visit -- it may be just your speed, and you will no doubt be warmly embraced if you're willing to go with the flow of the community. We couldn't, so we weren't, but there are some lovely people there, and they're always looking for new families.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 8:36 am
Thanks Seagreen. Can you give me specifics about what was challenging to you? Perhaps it's not worth even going to look. How about the basics? For example, is the minyan a legitimate minyan at least? Is the mikvah kosher? Is the kashrus questionable?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating