Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
We are wealthy Bh. Ask me anything
  Previous  1  2  3  12  13  14

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 6:35 am
amother wrote:
I think what some of the other posters were getting at before is that the op is very comfortable, but I would not really call her very wealthy.
Where I live, that would be middle class. I don’t know any wealthy men in my neighbourhood whose husbands drive a sienna. All the women would know the square footage of their homes.
Seems like op is the “new wealthy” which is not nearly in the same league in terms of lifestyle as real wealth.
Going anonymous for this one

Wealth is not a lifestyle.

You can have 100M of net-worth and eat wackymac and drive a honda. By American standards - you are very wealthy.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 6:40 am
amother wrote:
I think what some of the other posters were getting at before is that the op is very comfortable, but I would not really call her very wealthy.
Where I live, that would be middle class. I don’t know any wealthy men in my neighbourhood whose husbands drive a sienna. All the women would know the square footage of their homes.
Seems like op is the “new wealthy” which is not nearly in the same league in terms of lifestyle as real wealth.

Lol I’m not OP but in a similar financial situation (and with a lot of assets bH for those who were asking). We drive Fords and our house is under 2000 sqft. Being wealthy doesn’t mean you have to flaunt it! (And yes, we do enjoy and buy things, we’re just low-key kind of folks.) My neighbor has a hugely successful company and drives old beat-up cars and has a house the same size as mine. Everyone has different priorities!

Metukah

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 6:47 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
So if I have $50,000,000 but drive a sienna then I’m not wealthy?? Scratching Head

At least you're only scratching your head.

My mind is completely boggled.

I have a relative who is extremely wealthy. By all standards.

He drives a brand new top of the range car. Really, top of the range, I know that in NY it is considered ott even for wealthy people (and I know wealthy people in NY). His wife otoh, drives, not just a sienna (It's actually not a sienna but similar), it is over 20 years old and is in terrible condition. She doesn't even lock it, because the only things left inside are the seats and steering wheel. She's not even a simple person, but, she's extremely stingy. She does have an enormous beautiful house, but she probably doesn't know the square footage. I can list many more of her stingy attributes, most of which make her into a not nice person, but the most certainly don't make her not wealthy.

Amother denim, your statement was extremely narrow minded.

I know people drive fancy cars and have fancy homes but they are up to their neck in debt and they don't have millions of income. Would you call them wealthy? Rolling Eyes

Raisin

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 7:03 am
If you are very wealthy and have a bunch of kids, what luxury cars are there even available? I assume OP drives a sienna since that will fit her kids.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 8:04 am
Raisin wrote:
If you are very wealthy and have a bunch of kids, what luxury cars are there even available? I assume OP drives a sienna since that will fit her kids.

Range Rover

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 8:08 am
amother wrote:

This is such an odd post. I know many wealthy (downright wealthy, with upper millions in assets) people who drive old (OLD) cars. And if a woman is not so into details and materialism, Or just handed everything over to the architect and designer, could see her not knowing the square footage of the house.
Your post and descriptions seem to be "new wealthy/not really wealthy," as it seems like you care a lot about what others see you driving. Really wealthy people often don't care.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 6:02 am
Metukah wrote:
At least you're only scratching your head.

My mind is completely boggled.

I have a relative who is extremely wealthy. By all standards.

He drives a brand new top of the range car. Really, top of the range, I know that in NY it is considered ott even for wealthy people (and I know wealthy people in NY). His wife otoh, drives, not just a sienna (It's actually not a sienna but similar), it is over 20 years old and is in terrible condition. She doesn't even lock it, because the only things left inside are the seats and steering wheel. She's not even a simple person, but, she's extremely stingy. She does have an enormous beautiful house, but she probably doesn't know the square footage. I can list many more of her stingy attributes, most of which make her into a not nice person, but the most certainly don't make her not wealthy.

Amother denim, your statement was extremely narrow minded.

I know people drive fancy cars and have fancy homes but they are up to their neck in debt and they don't have millions of income. Would you call them wealthy? Rolling Eyes

I agree!

My Shver is very wealthy... like donates in the millions to tzedaka a year... he drives a sienna and used to drive an old beat up car till his kids leased him a sienna.. they live in an apartment and never buy the best in anything the buy. They go into a store and ask for the middle priced. They are people to learn from.

How you spend your money doesn’t determine your wealth!

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 6:10 am
allthingsblue wrote:
This is such an odd post. I know many wealthy (downright wealthy, with upper millions in assets) people who drive old (OLD) cars. And if a woman is not so into details and materialism, Or just handed everything over to the architect and designer, could see her not knowing the square footage of the house.
Your post and descriptions seem to be "new wealthy/not really wealthy," as it seems like you care a lot about what others see you driving. Really wealthy people often don't care.

Many people don't care. I don't care about cars and I am not wealthy. I do care about other things - I would probably spend a lot on having a really nice house and a lot of cleaning help to keep it nice if I were wealthy. I also am not sure of the exact square footage of our house.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 6:54 am
amother wrote:
BH, we're kind of wealthy according to this thread (just under a million/year). Wink

I think the way one raises their family is heavily influenced by where you live. We live in a small somewhat poor community in the midwest. My kids get what the other kids get, and no more.

My husband and I do have some luxuries ourselves (he drives a really nice car) but nothing major. I have some nice jewelry that most probably think is fake. We just save a lot for the future. No kosher restaurants where we live either, so really our spending is minimal. No one does fancy bar mitzvahs, etc Everything is so low key here, it would be very insensitive to stand out.

This. we don't make a ton a year, but b'h we have a nice amount invested ( over a million) we also live in a poor out of town community, where there is no rat race and no pressure. Highly, highly, highly recommended.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 7:00 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
How much money does your husband make a month?

Wow... gutsy questions here. It so disgusting to ask how much your DH makes! Never ask a man or woman how much they make. Since it was AMA, lets say people really want to know and can ask here.3 But you have the right to keep that info private and it says there is bracha in whats hidden so dont say how much you DH makes. We were young and visited in Israel and went to distant cousin and cousins asked how much my parents make....my mom thought it was very not nice....so in real life my friends dont ask this question.

My only question.is... can I have a nedava or loan?
LOL. Here is my bracha: continie wealthy and healthy and with nachas till 120 years together with your husband. And try to hide a red thread in your watch your DH watch and kids. Or in a piece of jewelry. Prefered from kever Rachel. Its known to protect from ain hara of jealowsy. People dont want to be jeallows but they can without even realizing if they are in a big financial mess or have tzoros. Im myself in a health and money problem and feel jealows at times :-( . Recently Hashem showed me a lot of open chasodim. Keep being simple like now and you are good. Its huge strenght not to overspend and it makes other feel comfortable. (Opinions differ - some say ain hara only works if the person being watched believe in it)
Thanks for sharing about you with us! Its very interesting. I dont know how you curb spending to keep low key. Im afraid I would have been an open splurger if I had.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 7:37 am
amother wrote:
Do you sleep well at night knowing there might be ppl you know who cant pau for food/therapy.....

You sound like Barak Obama lehavdil who made americans feel sorry that they are a 1st world country. I think he even said it openly. Pathetic.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 9:41 am
amother wrote:
omg! all the requests for money are so distasteful!

I hear you, but on the other hand, why is it so distasteful?
isn't if beautiful if a fellow member who has money for tzedakah, can help out a fellow imamother member who needs it? (within reason of course)
Page 14 of 14   Previous  1  2  3  12  13  14 Recent Topics