Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Help me throw out/where do you keep?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:00 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
What about a murphy bed?

I have guest beds and a sofa bed which is very large. I really don't need anymore beds. Though a Murphy bed is a good idea if I do a built in wall unit type of thing.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:21 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I have a 48" mattress that I keep inside my playroom closet (it's a walk in closet) , because "incase" I have extra guest and need an extra large mattress that could fit two little kids. I can't seem to part with it. I didn't need it in the last three years. I need someone to give me a push to throw it out. Because it takes up most of one wall and I want to build shelves on that wall to house my toys that are in boxes on the floor.

Get rid of it and buy a blow up for a few dollars. The only way it's worthwhile to keep is if it fits neatly under a bed and is easy to pull out and use right there.

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:24 am
The old teddy bears she didn't put into garbage she sent to charity. Every time she came she took one bag to garbage & one bag to charity

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:25 am
In my area there are no garage sales

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:27 am
What is a Murphy bed?

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:54 am
I scan all old paperwork that I think I may want one day.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 9:21 am
Teomima wrote:
I'd get rid of the college notes but file away the report cards. I've had to use my own childhood report cards to prove my US citizenship when claiming citizenship for my children so to me it makes sense as something to keep (then hand off to your children, when they're adults, to do with as they please).

You hardly need your report cards if you have a passport or birth certificate. And even if you used a report card, you wouldn't need all of them.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 9:24 am
dankbar wrote:
What is a Murphy bed?

A Murphy bed, also called a wall bed, pull down bed, or fold-down bed, is a bed that is hinged at one end to store vertically against the wall, or inside a closet or cabinet.(Wikipedia)

Old slapstick films had many visually hilarious scenes in which Murphy beds would suddenly spring up, trapping whoever was in them, or fall down, releasing whatever was in them or crushing whatever was under them.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 9:33 am
I saved "the best of the best" from my kids' school days, one folder for each child, planning to give each one his or hers when they left home. Guess what? They have no interest in their adorable preschool scrawls, the "middos award" from third grade, fourteen years of report cards, and the seventh-grade A+ report on Jonas Salk. They refused to take any of it, and I'm glad to see they're not starting married life as sentimental hoarders.

My shredder is one of my favorite appliances.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 9:42 am
zaq wrote:
You hardly need your report cards if you have a passport or birth certificate. And even if you used a report card, you wouldn't need all of them.

A passport and birth certificate says YOU are an american citizen, but for your children to become one if they were born out of the US then you have to have lived in the US for a certain number of years and need proof of that.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:07 am
If you have a perfectly good item that is taking up room, and you really don't use it, try Facebook. In the US, there are FreeCycle groups all over the country.

In Israel, there are Rehoming groups in many cities. The one in my town is super active.

It's also a really fun way to meet your neighbors!

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:30 am
What do you do with all kids crafts & artwork that they made & want ro hold onto?

sky

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:39 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I have a 48" mattress that I keep inside my playroom closet (it's a walk in closet) , because "incase" I have extra guest and need an extra large mattress that could fit two little kids. I can't seem to part with it. I didn't need it in the last three years. I need someone to give me a push to throw it out. Because it takes up most of one wall and I want to build shelves on that wall to house my toys that are in boxes on the floor.

Throw it out and by a full size air mattress. They can be cheap on sale and take up a fraction of the space.

sub

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:40 am
An organization that takes everything and picks up from you is children of israel. They have pick up dates in NY and NJ area
347-837-8256. Call and listen carefully for info in your area and follow prompts.
As for papers and a&c and awards etc. choose 2-3 items you really want and put them in sheet protectors in a loose leaf, this way you definitely will look at them once in a while. Another idea is put them on a wall, take a pic Now you have all the items in one picture And the memory is still there but with less items. As for beds we have inflatable ones that take up very little room in fact they are under my bed in a small bag.
Also a good idea is to think if I haven’t seen it touched or used it in a year then I don’t need it(except for pesach, or other yom tov items)

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 12:27 pm
How many sizes of clothes do you keep in your closet?

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 12:28 pm
For yourself

pause

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 12:54 pm
dankbar wrote:
For yourself

My thinnest sentimental clothes are in storage. Wink
Otherwise, I keep my current size and one size up/down depending on if the items are outdated or not.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 6:58 pm
When it comes to organizing it pays to get a little spiritual, as in u don't take anything with you...and then go with the other aspect of living in the moment.

So old stuff that u wud regret dumping..scanning and placing on a drive is brilliant..and clothing say goodbye to and keep only the things u will honestly wear.

Buy some new things every season..u will be surprised how successful u can be in Marshall's and burlington(if money is tight that is)

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 7:24 pm
I am going crazy from all the stuff here. I tried organizing my toy closet....but I have so much junk & not all my toys fit into the closet. I tried boxing toys that are not in use now & went to take it down to my little storage room in public bsmt. I couldnt get in, let alone put down a box.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 7:21 am
Each of my kids has a school binder where they keep report cards certificates and school pictures. I use plastic protection sheets to slide everything in and it’s nice for them to keep.
And yes definitely keep report cards since they are official proof of residency in case you need it in the future.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics