Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Safety in kitchen

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:14 pm
Did anyone ever use parchment paper for cooking in the oven and have it catch on fire? I heard that this can happen

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:19 pm
amother wrote:
Did anyone ever use parchment paper for cooking in the oven and have it catch on fire? I heard that this can happen

This is definitely possible in a gas oven. You have to really watch the temperature.

In an electric over, I've used it at 500 degrees F, and had the paper just turn golden and brittle at the edges.

If your oven is gas, check your recipe and see if you can use a lower temperature.

What are you cooking? If you really need high heat, use oiled tin pans instead. This is especially true if you are trying to get a flaky crust.

If you're just baking cookies, it should be fine. If you are trying to bake something sticky, you could try using the crock pot, just oil the inside of the crock, and cut pieces of paper to fit inside. Make sure they really stick to the oil before you pour the ingredients in.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:23 pm
amother wrote:

Do not use it under a broiler. Electric or gas. Otherwise, its probably alright assuming no exposed flame.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:36 pm
Granddaughter made pizza in the oven and used this parchment paper and it caught fire! BH daughter somehow stopped the fire with sink water. Its a gas oven. I told her to throw out the parchment paper! Years ago we used tin foil or pans. Thanx for the advice

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:37 pm
I use parchment paper in the broiler and nothing ever happened.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 8:39 pm
amother wrote:
I use parchment paper in the broiler and nothing ever happened.

Gas or electric? Were you standing by watching closely? Parchment paper is a real blessing, IMHO, but you do have to respect it's limits. It's just not as forgiving as foil pans.

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 5:21 am
I use parchment paper a lot and on really high temps (highest temp often, possibly also on grill) and its never caught fire. But I have an electric oven.

etky

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 5:32 am
It says quite clearly on the package (in Israel, where most people have electric ovens) that it is safe for use up to 200 degrees Celsius (about 400 Farenheit). It also says that it is not intended for use in a toaster oven or grill.
I imagine that those guidelines are stricter than they absolutely need to be and that it's still safe at slightly higher temperatures but best to exercise caution.

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 2:39 pm
If anything in an oven catches fire, just shut off the oven and leave the door closed till the fire suffocates itself. Then wait a bit to let it cool down before relighting, because hot material can reignite if you open the door and let in air.

The paper may ignite if you use too high a temp for too long. Also if you reuse the paper, the edges get a bit darker, and thus a bit burnt and easier to ignite, each time it’s used. Don’t use it once the edges are brown. ETA or trim off the brown parts and reuse the rest. The

Cut the paper to just the size you need so it doesn’t overhang the edges of the pan. If you need it overhanging for some reason, keep it away from the racks and the heating element.

Last edited by zaq on Mon, Nov 12 2018, 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

simcha2

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 2:44 pm
zaq wrote:
If anything in an oven catches fire, just shut off the oven and leave the door closed till the fire suffocates itself. Then wait a bit to let it cool down before relighting, because hot material can reignite if you open the door and let in air.

The paper may ignite if you use too high a temp for too long. Also if you reuse the paper, the edges get a bit darker, and thus a bit burnt and easier to ignite, each time it’s used. Don’t use it once the edges are brown.

Cut the paper to just the size you need so it doesn’t overhang the edges of the pan. If you need it overhanging for some reason, keep it away from the racks and the heating element.

This.

As long as you don't overhang it, it shouldn't catch fire.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics