Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why only in New York/NJ
Previous  1  2  3

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 10:21 pm
amother wrote:
Ra-mom, I started this thread because of all other threads here about fashion & how people care how they and everyone else look. So I made an observation between NY and other Jewish communities I've been to. I didn't say that I care. I actually don't. I started this conversation just for interest. Nothing personal against anyone.

I guess I missed the threads about how people care how others look.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:
Tigerwife, where do you see me writing that it bothers me when people look good?

Why do you write the bolded-

amother wrote:
Why is it that only in New York & Lakewood (that I have observed) do people people care so much about their looks & care even more about how others look??? In Israel, London, Stamdord Hill, Montreal..... everyone dresses how they like & no one cares or comments!! Am I the only one that thinks it's a New York thing?? And why is it so??

I guess I am asking if you think that people who dress well also care that others dress well? NYC is one of the fashion capitals of the world, because it is full of people who like to look good. However, there are plenty more who are not into fashion at all and nobody gives a hoot. Milan, Paris, Tel Aviv and many other fashion week host cities are the same way.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 11:20 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I live in Manhattan and in my circles no one cares. My clothes are from target and TJ maxx

Manhattan probably has more highly educated women.

I think the more highly educated one is, the less they care about clothes and they care more about educational and career pursuits.

Ive never seen a female medical doctor anywhere near as concerned with clothing and keeping up with style, as most high school grads and/or secretaries..

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 12:43 am
amother wrote:
Flowerpower, I didnt say anything is wrong with it. I just made an observation, that's it.
For example, chassidish women wearing black tights. In New York everyone makes a big deal about it & has comments galore. In Europe/Isreal no one gives a hoot about it.

Do you live iin Europe/Israel? If so, that may be the reason you don't see it, because you are used to it. I live in Williamsburg, NY. I wear whatever iI feel like and I'm totally ffine with iit. Yes, I know many many people who are materialistic enough that iit's below their dignity to talk to me and others who do as they find appropriate that also happens to be different than Oilum goilem decided is IN. All that matters is how OK you are with it. And I have a wonderful group of friends as a result BH.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics