Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
"Me Before You" Amazing Romance Movie (on Amazon Prime)

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 1:25 pm
Watched it last night with dh and it was so amazing, touching and well executed.
If anyone's looking for a romance movie that's pretty clean and so poignant... this is the one.
I cried at the end for both Clark and Will.. what great realistic characters.
Anyone watched it?

simcha2

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 1:28 pm
Read the book, it's really good.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 1:53 pm
I found it disturbing.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 1:54 pm
Read the book and saw the movie. Definitely a tear jerker!

chanchy123

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 2:26 pm
I don't remember the specifics of this movie but do remember how horrified I was by the ending. It was completely the opposite of what would be moral and just and "romantic". It really was very disturbing.

gingertop

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 2:30 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
I don't remember the specifics of this movie but do remember how horrified I was by the ending. It was completely the opposite of what would be moral and just and "romantic". It really was very disturbing.

I didn't watch the movie but assisted suicide is not my idea of romantic. The whole premise disturbs me.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 2:40 pm
chanchy123 wrote:

Funny how people can have such different impressions.
I found it romantic the love they had for each other and the way she goes to be with him in his last moments even though she strongly disagrees with him, and puts her own personal feelings of love aside to be with him- which in essence is a true act of love.
I didn't see the theme as promoting assisted suicide.. but rather the story of a women who becomes connected to someone so different than her. Using her humor and charm she manages to breathe life into him.. even though it doesn't have a good ending, which I was hoping it would.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 3:03 pm
gingertop wrote:
I didn't watch the movie but assisted suicide is not my idea of romantic. The whole premise disturbs me.

Yep, also very ableist in that a disabled life is portrayed as not worth living... it’s “inspiration pr0n” for abled people to get emotional over

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 3:10 pm
I saw it in the theater. Cried but was so glad that they stuck to the book. Read the book it's amazing, shows the issue from multiple sides. At several points, Louisa goes to chat rooms for quads and hears a million different opinions. .... Also read the next two books "after you" and "still me" see what happens to Louisa's life after Will.

I think the most important thing you can get from this story is to never judge someone else... You really can't know what's it's like to be in their shoes... Or wheel chair.... Until you land in a situation remotely similar, you can't understand.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 3:20 pm
Also found the end disturbing, although some charming romantic moments.
I had to watch the stephen hawking movie right after as an antidote Very Happy

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 3:22 pm
I’ll definitely put it on my to watch list but next time please put a precautionary ‘spoiler alert’ for those of us who didn’t see it yet!!

gingertop

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 3:29 pm
amother wrote:
I’ll definitely put it on my to watch list but next time please put a precautionary ‘spoiler alert’ for those of us who didn’t see it yet!!

I was thinking of marking my post spoiler alert but tbh, all the talk about this book a few years ago was about the assisted death and the disturbing implication that being quadriplegic is a life not worth living as bigsis mentioned. So I avoided the book and movie but assumed that everyone reading or watching factored that in to their decision.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 3:32 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Yep, also very ableist in that a disabled life is portrayed as not worth living... it’s “inspiration pr0n” for abled people to get emotional over

I actually got away with the opposite.. it kind of shows how Will's thinking is flawed, but ultimately it's his decision to make. Just like a movie about religion would show how a parent cuts off ties from a non-religious child, but the movie is sympathetic to the child, and does not imply that this is the right way.. but rather the opposite.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:58 am
Watched it last night and loved it!
More recommendations please!!! Love a movie that makes me cry!

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:08 am
Please post more recommendations!

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:18 am
gingertop wrote:
I was thinking of marking my post spoiler alert but tbh, all the talk about this book a few years ago was about the assisted death and the disturbing implication that being quadriplegic is a life not worth living as bigsis mentioned. So I avoided the book and movie but assumed that everyone reading or watching factored that in to their decision.

You really should have either posted without spoilers or made a spoiler alert.

I had no idea about the movie plot and basically on here I now know that there is an assisted suicide storyline and at the end he makes that choice. Why would I watch it now? Bah.

singleagain

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:31 am
Side note:

I'm all about spoiler alerts... But this Movie came out two years ago... That's more than enough time to pass without a spoiler alert.

The thread tile says the same of the movie and give away no spoilers. If you don't want to know if it, you don't click into the thread.

When I missed new episodes of my favorite things shows, I stay far away from any website/articles/YouTube anything that might contain a spoiler.

Once a show airs or a movie is released you have to expect the online community to talk about it with spoilers.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:
You really should have either posted without spoilers or made a spoiler alert.

I had no idea about the movie plot and basically on here I now know that there is an assisted suicide storyline and at the end he makes that choice. Why would I watch it now? Bah.

Still worth watching. Well acted.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:23 pm
amother wrote:
Still worth watching. Well acted.

I watched it tonight, because of OPs post. I thought Lou was a bad actress. She is too eyebrow-y. She looks worried always, even when she is happy or neutral. I hated the ending, which is anti torah, anti morality, and anti romance. I also thought it was anti a healthy relationship and that he had a very good point that he can't give her what she needs physically. Disturbing. Next!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics