Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Unpopular Opinions
  Previous  1  2  3   16  17  18  Next

happymom123

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 5:19 pm
Since you brought up the pom pom hats, which I think are adorable, I need to get on my ribbed sets soapbox. Babies and toddlers do not look extra cute when they're squashed like a sausage into these knit and ribbed sets! Give them room to breathe!

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 5:37 pm
My unpopular opinion is "Who cares what the Cohens wear, do, think? We do our thing, we wear what we like, we think for ourselves and we are proud of it. NO, I WILL NOT GO WITH THE FLOW.... even though I've been told by others that it's about time I do that.

smileforamile

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 5:40 pm
My unpopular opinion: Don't wear it because it's in style, wear it because it looks good on you! If it's in style but isn't flattering, you look stupid trying to be stylish. Wear what is flattering on you.

Last edited by smileforamile on Fri, Jul 12 2019, 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total

keym

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 5:41 pm
And my opinion is that I don't like the short overall romper sets with tights for boys. For girls I'm fine with it. But on boys, I can't handle.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 5:42 pm
keym wrote:
And my opinion is that I don't like the short overall romper sets with tights for boys. For girls I'm fine with it. But on boys, I can't handle.
I hate the whole idea of shorts in the winter , period. I don't care if it's worn with tights. Poor kids!

sub

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 5:44 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
My unpopular opinion:

I think pom pom hats (especially on newborns) look stupid. There I said it!

Ah no they are cute however pompom hats on adult women Scratching Head Confused

NovelConcept

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 5:45 pm
My current thoughts which are unpopular:

*All-white kitchens didn't look good "then" and they don't look good now. (White counter tops though, get a big thumbs up!)

*Wedges are coolest shoes ever.

*Summer is the worst season!

*Bugaboo hoods do NOT have to be in style. Don't even get me started on the Bugaboo itself...

Ravenclaw

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 5:46 pm
gingertop wrote:
Pretty much everywhere. Only exception I can think of from recent books I've read is the Daniel Silva mossad thrillers.

Someone once told me that you canโ€™t find a non-jewish book that doesnโ€™t have some relation to the 3 cardinal sins. Sheโ€™s kinda right. And I am saying this as a person in love with literature.

Emotional

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 5:47 pm
I'm scared to say it, but I'll say it anyway.
Obese people are not beautiful. Stop telling them they are. If they were, there wouldn't be a whole industry out there trying to convince them how gorgeous they would be if they were thin.
Signed,
An obese woman who hates mirrors (and struggles terribly with self-acceptance -in case you couldn't tell!๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿค๐Ÿคโ˜บ)

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 5:50 pm
Emotional wrote:
Obese people are not beautiful. Stop telling them they are. If they were, there wouldn't be a whole industry out there trying to convince them how gorgeous they would be if they were thin.
Signed,
An obese woman who hates mirrors (and struggles terribly with self-acceptance -in case you couldn't tell!๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜ถ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿค๐Ÿคโ˜บ)

Can I respectfully disagree? There are beautiful obese women. Or perhaps, beautiful curvy, voluptuous , and pleasantly plump women.

tweek

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 5:51 pm
Parenting classes for regular, healthy parents (meaning no mental health issues or no background of childhood abuse) are unnecessary and can even get in the way of good, intuitive parenting.

(Good thing we aren't able to post anonymously here cuz I think I would have!)

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 5:53 pm
tweek wrote:
Parenting classes for regular, healthy parents (meaning no mental health issues or no background of childhood abuse) are unnecessary and can even get in the way of good, intuitive parenting.

(Good thing we aren't able to post anonymously here cuz I think I would have!)

Can you elaborate as to why you feel this way? I happen to not go for the parenting class thing either and started one years ago , it didn't click with me at all.

Emotional

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 5:54 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Can I respectfully disagree? There are beautiful obese women. Or perhaps, beautiful curvy, voluptuous , and pleasantly plump women.

I think that's the difference. I know many women who are overweight and curvaceous, and they're gorgeous. But not obese.

Ravenclaw

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 6:03 pm
I am scared to admit this, because itโ€™s really really unpopular but... I believe in magic. And that some creatures that we know today as magical myths are based on truth. Mermaids (not the Disney kind though), werewolves, a Phoenix, dwarves, a griffin, unicorns... these are seen in literature of almost ever culture going back thousands of years. There wasnโ€™t internet or widespread pop culture then, so if it had no basis in truth then how did so many of these legends overlap? Also quite a few are mentioned in Torah literature.
But itโ€™s not like I believe in fairies, vampires or zombies... Iโ€™m not stupid ; )

simcha2

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 6:04 pm
Here are mine,

-Kids over the age 6 or 7 in matching outfits are freaky looking.

- there is never a reason to spend~$1000 on a stroller let than to keep up with the Cohens.

- piercing an infant's ears is cruel and they look funny.

Ravenclaw

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 6:05 pm
Also itโ€™s not like I think they are still around or anything. I believe they have been extinct for centuries at least, and also that they are quite different than how they are portrayed in media today.
Okay I am just digging myself into a deeper hole here...

tweek

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 6:06 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Can you elaborate as to why you feel this way? I happen to not go for the parenting class thing either and started one years ago , it didn't click with me at all.

Sure. Barring any other factors (such as mental health issues or abuse), I believe that parents have an innate wisdom from Hashem who gave them their children, to know how to deal with them.

Bombarding parents and spoon feeding them with exact methods of how to deal with every aspect of parenting gets in the way and causes children to parented in cookie cutter ways. There is also a lot of unnecessary guilt and unrealistic expectations that come from parenting classes that also gets in the way.

If there is a specific issue, parents can and should solicit advice for thosat specific issues and then chose the advice that resonates with them and their child, but the detailed breaking down of one specific way to deal with each little exact issue that comes up doesn't seem right.

Fox

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 6:07 pm
Well, beauty is a subjective thing. You can find cultures in the world where all kinds of things are considered "beautiful" that would be repellent to us.

The problem is that "body positivity" is a good idea that got taken too far. When it meant "women can be healthy and attractive without looking like photoshopped swimsuit models," it was a good thing.

But, of course, a few people always have to take it too far. So now we have people insisting that Western standards of beauty be changed to accommodate the fact that they'd like to be beautiful but aren't.

Or "fit at any size." When that means, "it's better to be fat and active than fat and sedentary," well, yeah. But taken literally, no. You cannot be morbidly obese and be as healthy as you would at a lower weight.

Of course, the craziest story was the obese activist who stripped to a bikini in Times Square. I'm not going to go searching for the link, but some of you may have seen it. I think she was trying to prove something about her rejection of Western beauty standards. Well, she discovered that there's a significant minority of men who are really into obese women, and quite a few of them made suggestive remarks, propositioned her, and generally behaved like dogs. So then she got upset about being objectified. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I've fought obesity much of my life, and right now, it's planning to recount ballots until it wins. I keep fighting, but I agree with you, Emotional. It's not beautiful, and it makes me unattractive. Those are simply facts, and they mean I need to work on my personality and try to be more beautiful from the inside out. Though a good handbag doesn't hurt the effort.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 6:11 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
Also itโ€™s not like I think they are still around or anything. I believe they have been extinct for centuries at least, and also that they are quite different than how they are portrayed in media today.
Okay I am just digging myself into a deeper hole here...

I believe in it too. The Gemara definitely talks about mermaids. I just donโ€™t think they looked like Ariel. I believe there is mention of a unicorn as well. And there definitely was magic.

sub

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 6:12 pm
Emotional wrote:
Signed,

Youโ€™re body might not be beautiful (as you stated ) but you as a person , a human being with a yiddishe neshama are beautiful.

Last edited by sub on Tue, Nov 13 2018, 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 18   Previous  1  2  3   16  17  18  Next Recent Topics