Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Unpopular Opinions
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 16  17  18  Next

PassionFruit

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:09 pm
1. wearing thin nude tights for tznious is idiotic
2. fair, blonde people need make up to look alive
3. the natural looking shaitle thing is way out of hand
4. most people in the world should be in therapy
5. most parents in the world should take parenting classes and/or do a lot of home reading because todays generation is so different than we were raised
6. get OT, PT, ST for any kid that needs (or boarder line needs) it as early as possible
7. people should make a big effort to relax many times every single day
8. packaged food should be kept to an absolute minimum
9. the standard school system is killing the natural drive a child is born with to learn
10. a mother's gut feeling is more important than anything else in the entire world.
11. a flowy skirt should never be paired with a flowy top
12. israel is still galus. there is a lot wrong with life over there. for many people, america is just as good or better of a place to be.
13. most kids do better if they are home with their mothers the first few years of life.

I'm ducking for cover, don't jump on me. thats what the threads about!

oneofakind

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:16 pm
PassionFruit: Applause

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:20 pm
keym wrote:
And my opinion is that I don't like the short overall romper sets with tights for boys. For girls I'm fine with it. But on boys, I can't handle.

That was what I wanted to say. I know it’s very in now... but still can’t get myself to put it on a child.

oneofakind

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:29 pm
I think they look ridiculous on boys but not loving it on girls either. I love having the opportunity to say here whatever I think and not keep my mouth sealed like I normally have to in order not to offend my nearest and dearest who are entitled to do whatever they like without me commenting.

honeymoon

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:50 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
Haha that may be, but the pom hat has become so ubiquitous I'm starting to think they'll be adding it to the typical newborn stats questionnaire:

How big was your baby at birth?

C-section or v-ginal?

What color pompom?

LOL

A woman was leaving the hospital with her newborn after giving birth. As she was leaving, a nurse asked her, "That sweet hat with the pom pom, is it a religious thing? and do the more religious ones wear the bigger ones?" Smile

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:58 pm
honeymoon wrote:
A woman was leaving the hospital with her newborn after giving birth. As she was leaving, a nurse asked her, "That sweet hat with the pom pom, is it a religious thing? and do the more religious ones wear the bigger ones?" Smile

Pom Pom hats are sold in every non Jewish store. I'm not sure why people think the look is exclusive to the jews.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 9:02 pm
My unpopular as a foodie opinion is that cilantro tastes like soap and raw celery not that much better.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 9:05 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
I am scared to admit this, because it’s really really unpopular but... I believe in magic. And that some creatures that we know today as magical myths are based on truth. Mermaids (not the Disney kind though), werewolves, a Phoenix, dwarves, a griffin, unicorns... these are seen in literature of almost ever culture going back thousands of years. There wasn’t internet or widespread pop culture then, so if it had no basis in truth then how did so many of these legends overlap? Also quite a few are mentioned in Torah literature.
But it’s not like I believe in fairies, vampires or zombies... I’m not stupid ; )

Kishuf= magic.
I think there are many Torah sources for mythical creatures. There was actually a book written about this topic (now banned for some reason) but I’ve read it too long ago.
I just heard a medrish in parshas bereishis about a bird who would live for a thousand years and then get reborn (the Phoenix), but I’m having trouble remembering where. Anyone know what I’m referring to?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 9:07 pm
ra_mom wrote:
My unpopular as a foodie opinion is that cilantro tastes like soap and raw celery not that much better.
lol. Me thinks the same!

tigerwife

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 9:10 pm
My unpopular opinion is that fashion is an acceptable creative hobby. It doesn’t make you shallow or a blind follower any more than cooking or art does. And following fashion is not the same as following every trend and keeping up with the Joneses.

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 9:15 pm
My unpopular opinion is that frum families today are ruining their boys. Stop telling them to sit and learn, even if they are one of the brightest in the class. Make sure they go and get a degree so that they can get a job.

I don't know why it's our fault (by "our" I mean women) that you get more self-esteem by having a Rebbe tell you you're awesome instead of finding out that us Jews aren't the smartest in the class after all.

If all the boys went to work, and it stopped being a "You're A Good Boy IF" thing to not attend a single college course, then all these BY girls would marry men with a capability to support their family.

mommyla

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 9:17 pm
The Doona is a stupid stroller. Good concept, poor execution. It’s too short, too heavy, won’t fit in a shopping cart (I always feel bad for the moms shlepping them in the supermarket while pushing the cart with the other hand). And so expensive!

I also don’t like earrings on babies, and I’m on the fence about pompom hats. On one hand, they look ridiculous, but on the other hand, they crack me up.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 9:20 pm
ra_mom wrote:

I can't believe I have the same opinion as the venerated ra_mom!
What's your take on cilantro?

NovelConcept

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 9:24 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I don't know if I have the exact source, but I have something saved on my computer (dd loves mermaids). PM during the day if I forget to post back here.
I do remember that Rashi talks about Dolfinin which he describes as half body human and half body fish.

Oh, this is interesting. It is probably some kind of sea animal that is related to the dolphin, with a name like "dolfinin." I wonder though, does the human part of the body signify limbs, specifically, or perhaps... the brain, as in IQ and EQ?

Dolphins are supposed to rank very close to humans in EQ and extremely high in IQ...

Cheiny

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 9:26 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
My unpopular opinion:

I think pom pom hats (especially on newborns) look stupid. There I said it!

I think they look much stupider on women! I can not believe people fall for this craziness, as Long as they think it’s in they’ll get it no matter how bad or stupid it looks on them.

Ravenclaw

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 9:26 pm
OutATowner wrote:
Fascinating. Can you ask him where in the gemara? Or a source I can look up?
Eta: not because I doubt you, because I am super interested!

מסכת בכורות דף ח’ עמוד א’: הדולפנין פרין ורבין כבני אדם מאי דולפנין אמר רב יהודה בני ימא.

רש"י ד"ה בני ימא: בני ימא - דגים יש בים שחציין צורת אדם וחציין צורת דג ובלע"ז שריינ"א. (כל מי שיש לו בבית תלמוד בבלי מוזמן לפתוח שם, סוגייא מאוד מעניינת..)

masechtes bechoires daf 8a

sushilover

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 9:27 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Kishuf= magic.
I think there are many Torah sources for mythical creatures. There was actually a book written about this topic (now banned for some reason) but I’ve read it too long ago.
I just heard a medrish in parshas bereishis about a bird who would live for a thousand years and then get reborn (the Phoenix), but I’m having trouble remembering where. Anyone know what I’m referring to?

The book was Mysterious Creatures. Fascinating read.

The pheonix is called the chol and Rashi says that it didn't eat from the eitz hadaas , so it will never die.

NovelConcept

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 9:28 pm
Just found this:
https://dafyomi.co.il/bechoros.....8.htm

And this:
https://www.hidabroot.com/arti.....daism

mammale

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 9:34 pm
Emotional wrote:
I'm scared to say it, but I'll say it anyway.
Obese people are not beautiful. Stop telling them they are. If they were, there wouldn't be a whole industry out there trying to convince them how gorgeous they would be if they were thin.
Signed,
An obese woman who hates mirrors (and struggles terribly with self-acceptance -in case you couldn't tell!😶😶😉😉😉😉🤐🤐☺)

I couldn't let this post go by without commenting.
I agree that thin is beautiful, but that is not the *only* thing. I have friends that are heavy, but still gorgeous. Pretty facial features, excellent taste in dress, and most importantly beautiful middos that shine through and make them seem even more beautiful.
I am sorry that you are feeling so down about your looks!
Hugs Hug

sky

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 9:37 pm
mommyla wrote:
The Doona is a stupid stroller. Good concept, poor execution. It’s too short, too heavy, won’t fit in a shopping cart (I always feel bad for the moms shlepping them in the supermarket while pushing the cart with the other hand). And so expensive!

Yes! Someone who is struggling financially told me she will buy this for her daughter. And I was like please don’t. She lives 3 flights up. Babysitter will be down a flight of steps. She may not even be taking a car to the babysitter. Can’t go shopping normally. Babies out grow so quickly. It’s heavy and a few people have told me they hate the tires. I was saying please save your money for a carriage she can use for years.

Another my own opinion: graco carriages are great. They can be both a snap and go (some weight the same, same fold) and then can become a car carriage. And you have a toddler and infant you can switch off. I used mine for years. And they are cheap!
Double schwinns are amazing walking strollers. They can hold lots of kids. Lasts years. But because it’s so cheap people are scared off.
Page 4 of 18   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics