Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Unpopular Opinions
  Previous  1  2  3 8  9  10 16  17  18  Next

Cheiny

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:44 pm
proudmomma wrote:
My unpopular opinion is that every Jewish neshama should be accepted into Jewish school. The school has the right to go over their rules with prospective parents and mention the actions they will need to take if they aren't adhered to. But every child deserves a chance!
The elitist attitude of our schools and yeshivos must stop! I truly don't believe that they will get schar for not accepting innocent 3 year olds. Quite the contrary!
I've seen many families hashkofos take a nose dive after putting their children into more modern/ day schools, after being rejected.

So which actions do you think should be taken if the child breaks the rules, or is a very bad influence on other students, or is excessively violent, etc.?

groovy1224

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:49 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
More ...

Unless you need your kids to be up at 4:30 in the morning, putting kids to bed before 7:30 is absurd.

What age are you referring to? My (young) kids NEED 12 hours of sleep. They go to bed at 7 and ate certainly not awake or close to it at 4:30..

Cheiny

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:49 pm
PassionFruit wrote:
1. wearing thin nude tights for tznious is idiotic
2. fair, blonde people need make up to look alive
3. the natural looking shaitle thing is way out of hand
4. most people in the world should be in therapy
5. most parents in the world should take parenting classes and/or do a lot of home reading because todays generation is so different than we were raised
6. get OT, PT, ST for any kid that needs (or boarder line needs) it as early as possible
7. people should make a big effort to relax many times every single day
8. packaged food should be kept to an absolute minimum
9. the standard school system is killing the natural drive a child is born with to learn
10. a mother's gut feeling is more important than anything else in the entire world.
11. a flowy skirt should never be paired with a flowy top
12. israel is still galus. there is a lot wrong with life over there. for many people, america is just as good or better of a place to be.
13. most kids do better if they are home with their mothers the first few years of life.

I'm ducking for cover, don't jump on me. thats what the threads about!

I agree with all except #12. Israel’s air is said to be holy, the kotel, the only remnant left of the Beit Hamikdash is there, there’s no way America is “just as good,” and certainly not better. #13 is something I’ve been touting for years. I believe it’s horrible that parents are pressured to send their newborns out to playgroup (that was done to me, by nosy neighbors who couldn’t understand why I was walking with the baby in a carriage during a weekday!) and I’m not referring to mothers who absolutely must work for parnassa (as opposed to those who just choose to work “to get out of the house.” There’s plenty of time for that when the kids start school.) A therapist told me that if parents understood how damaging it could be to have a non-Jewish nanny spending many hours with your young impressionable kids, they’d be horrified.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:51 pm
ra_mom wrote:
My unpopular as a foodie opinion is that cilantro tastes like soap and raw celery not that much better.

I agree cilantro is soap but I love raw celery.

PassionFruit

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:53 pm
Back again to say I LOVE CILANTRO!

Cheiny

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:54 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I think that unattractive people have better marriages. Because they had to look past traditional Western beauty standards and get to know the person underneath.

Some of the happiest marriages I know of are with wives that are overweight, frumpy, and not pulled together. They are excellent wives and mothers, faithful, patient, and kind.

Not to say that attractive women aren't wonderful people as well, but if a bochur is smitten with the fact that you are a size 2, very trendy, and your parents can support him, how is he going to get to know the real girl underneath all the surface stuff?

I also think that the music at simchas is WAY too loud. It physically hurts my ears, wears me out, and makes me want to run away instead of staying for dessert and dancing. I can't even talk to the person who's face is one foot away from mine, even if we're both yelling. Why is this acceptable?

As far as the overweight, frumpy, and not pulled together wives, do you honestly think their husbands are happy with their lack of self care? I don’t.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:57 pm
Laiya wrote:
Homework in younger grades is not beneficial, pits parents against their kids, and we'd all be better off without it.

Agree, and think it’s even less helpful for older kids who are in school for long enough hours as it is! Let them relax and have some down time when they get home!

Cheiny

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:01 pm
Debbie wrote:
Grammar is another one: Could've, would've and should've are abbreviations for: Could have,would have and should have,and not as some seem to think; could of,would of,and should of!

Lol, I can’t stand when people don’t know when to say “you and I,” or “you and me.” You and I look alike. The baby doesn’t look like you and me.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:03 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
I don’t believe in ayin hara

Then you disagree with what the Torah says. I learned that a huge percentage of people in the cemetery are there due to ayin hara.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:05 pm
glamourmom wrote:
why do you think a woman wears it only cuz it's in style? maybe they wear it cuz they genuinely think it looks good. I know I like it, and not just cuz it's "in".

I imagine they do it only because they saw someone else wear it first. I can’t imagine that if someone had never seen a grown woman put on a Pom Pom (which previously were only seen on children) that they’d think, hey I’d look good in my child’s hat! I really think it looks ridiculous.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:08 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
That is so ridiculous. I look great in my Pom Pom hats. My husband loves the way I look. You don’t like them? That’s fine. But don’t judge my self confidence based on the hat I wear.

Might your dh’s saying he loves you in pompom hats possibly because you’ve made it clear to him how much you love the way you look in them? Perhaps he’s not stupid enough to say, “Honey, why are you wearing 2- year old Brachala’s hat?”

Cheiny

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:11 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I expressed an unpopular opinion yesterday. The thread was locked.

I take issue with that as well. Why would threads e locked just because certain people start attacking others and name calling/cursing? Shouldn’t those individuals be locked out or suspended, while everyone else who hasn’t broken any rules can continue the discussion?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:21 pm
I actually heard that Ayin Hara doesn't work if you don't believe in it. And I don't.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:23 pm
My unpopular opinion is that you should show up to a sheva brachos at the exact time the host says its called for!!!!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:24 pm
NovelConcept wrote:

5. Music is overrated.

Actually, music is Hashem's gift to humankind. And everyone should have the gift of playing an instrument.

I bought a piano before I bought a couch. That might tell you something of my opinion on music.

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:27 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I take issue with that as well. Why would threads e locked just because certain people start attacking others and name calling/cursing? Shouldn’t those individuals be locked out or suspended, while everyone else who hasn’t broken any rules can continue the discussion?

Threads are not locked because mods dont like them. They are locked when they dissolve or break forum rules. As you know, from the multiple threads you’ve started asking why threads get locked.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:27 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
I am scared to admit this, because it’s really really unpopular but... I believe in magic. And that some creatures that we know today as magical myths are based on truth. Mermaids (not the Disney kind though), werewolves, a Phoenix, dwarves, a griffin, unicorns... these are seen in literature of almost ever culture going back thousands of years. There wasn’t internet or widespread pop culture then, so if it had no basis in truth then how did so many of these legends overlap? Also quite a few are mentioned in Torah literature.
But it’s not like I believe in fairies, vampires or zombies... I’m not stupid ; )

I remember that in 10th grade, we discussed this with our Chumash teacher. We were doing Shmos that year. She brought in some interesting midrashim on the types of animals that showed up at Makas Arov. Also, the R'em which came when the mishkan was built - it had colorful hides. We talked about whether this might be the unicorn.

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:29 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Might your dh’s saying he loves you in pompom hats possibly because you’ve made it clear to him how much you love the way you look in them? Perhaps he’s not stupid enough to say, “Honey, why are you wearing 2- year old Brachala’s hat?”

Or MAYBE he likes the hat. Good grief.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:35 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Then you disagree with what the Torah says. I learned that a huge percentage of people in the cemetery are there due to ayin hara.

What does this mean, they are there due to ayin hara?

chmom

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:40 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I actually heard that Ayin Hara doesn't work if you don't believe in it. And I don't.

The entire yekkische oilem traditionally doesn‘t believe in ayin hara
Neither do I
Page 9 of 18   Previous  1  2  3 8  9  10 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics