Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What does bedtime look like in your house?
Previous  1  2

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 3:01 pm
I think it's a big task to put everyone to bed at the same time. When mine were all little we staggered it with everyone reading downstairs or playing quietly while I or dh took them to bed one at a time. A 20 min stagger or so was enough.
Now I have a 6 and 8 yr old and big ones. Baths are offered if they want or need about 6.30. They then come down and play. Computer time is sttaight after school till dinner (half hr usually) so no screens now. They both are in their room 7.30 for reading, drawing or puzzles etx. As long as they are in their room and winding down. This is the time for snacks and water and toilet etc. We sometimes sit and interact sometimes not depending on the night. My dh will read with one or I will do a sticker book with one or neither. At 8 the 6 yr old says shema with me and lights out. She usually stays in bed...occasionally asks for more to eat or another drink. Depending on how late it is I may allow. The older one age 8 reads in her bed till 8.30 then shema and lights out. She stays in her bed np.
My older ones (sigh - much easier when u can physically put them to shower and to bed!) 13 yr old aims for lights out 9.30 but doesn't often happen till 10. I don't really go up to her. I'm.in bed myself. My other older ones. 15 and 17 go to bed around 11...which I find late but they seem ok. Occasion ally if they are tired in day we discuss trying to go to bed earlier. Etc.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 3:09 pm
amother wrote:
When do you start?
Do you have a routine - and do you stick to it?
Do your kids actually stay in bed? If yes is it bec there will be consequences/a reward/ you'll get angry/you sit there till they fall asleep?
Do they constantly come out of bed for a drink, or to eat something?
Are you able to put to put two kids sleep in the same room at the same time? or do they talk and keep each other up? (if yes, do you give different bedtimes, put one in another room and transfer them later or sit there till their asleep?)
Do your teens go to sleep whenever they want? What age do you stop being on top of their bedtime?
And mainly - on most nights to you manage to do bedtime without getting angry or threatening anyone?
Be honest!

Bh bedtime in our house has really settled into a great routine. Kids ranging 3-15. I will take out the 15 year old because he goes to bed on his own when he decides. Waaaaay after me.

3 yr old and 6 yr old start going up at 6:30. They have a routine they follow every night. Baths, brush teeth, clothes in hamper, drinks, bathroom, pack up briefcase for the next day... at around 6:50 3 year old gets special time with mommy. We Shmooze, read stories, say Shema. They savor this time with me! I tuck them in with kisses and say good night. If they come out of bed they get a reminder that tomorrow they won’t get to have special time with mommy if they come out. 99% of the time they stay in bed and fall asleep quickly!
7:00/ 7:15 is special time for 6 year old. (Depends how on time I’m running with 3 year old) I usually do this in my room so I give 3 yr old time to fall asleep. We do the same. Shmooze, read stories... hugs, kisses. Bh goes right in and goes to sleep.

10 year old starts his routine at 8:30, at 9:00 he gets special time with me. (About 10 min). We shmooze or play a quick card game. He’s ready for bed and goes Straight to sleep. 13 year old same thing. Starts getting ready and taking care of night routine at 9:15, we have shmooze time at 9:45. In bed by 10.

I find the kids love this time with me and it’s a great motivator for them to get ready and to stay in bed. I have to say there were crazy times in life where I wasn’t able to be as on top of things and available to them and bed time did not go smoothly. I try really hard to be consistent about it and Bh it works for us.

Coffee Addict

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 3:54 pm
Flowerpower, you cracked me up!! Best post of the day!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics