Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Child taking things from school

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:25 pm
Hi, I was wondering if this ever happened to you and what did you do to resolve it. My 4.5 year old son is bringing things from class. He knows that its not his and that these things dont belong to him. Such as gluesticks, extra candy from the teacher's desk etc... This happens pretty often and we tried talking to him, explaining to him, and of course making him give it back. Any suggestions? He once also picked up something from the pharmacy. Thank you.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:46 pm
Yes. It's quite common at this age . Make sure his teacher is aware of this as well. I worked along with the Rebbe/teacher and had my child return every item etc. The teacher spoke to him as well. I had more than one kid do this . And I stole bubble gum from the grocery store when I was four too and still remember the shame returning my half chewed up gum to the store owner and my piggy bank of pennies to pay for the gum and apologize . The shame in itself helps them stop.

loving mom

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:00 pm
Thank you so much. How long did it take to stop? Its a while by now.. 😞

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:07 pm
I was preschool teacher, interestingly it's way more common for the little boys in my class to take stuff than the girls . Parent asked me to check pockets before they leave. That helped.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:08 pm
loving mom wrote:
Thank you so much. How long did it take to stop? Its a while by now.. 😞

One of my kids stopped within a month once the teacher got involved . The other did it from around age 4-5. I checked his pockets before we left any store. I can't remember exactly, but they ALL grew out of it. The only thing they still do is raid my nosh cabinet at home 😀

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:04 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
One of my kids stopped within a month once the teacher got involved . The other did it from around age 4-5. I checked his pockets before we left any store. I can't remember exactly, but they ALL grew out of it. The only thing they still do is raid my nosh cabinet at home 😀

Stitch all pockets up, and check back packs immediately when he gets home.

Does Ds have his own little art shelf where he can keep his art supplies without his siblings getting into it and messing it up? He may have a strong artistic streak in him, and he feels that these tools to complete his creative visions. If you put together a budget and took him to a craft store, do you think that might stop the need to swipe things?

If he davka takes from the school, then that means that there is something going on that is making him feel powerless. By taking things out of the classroom, then he is in control of something, no matter how small. He needs to find appropriate ways to express his feelings, and get his needs met in the classroom, and he needs to know that stealing is not nice way of getting attention.

loving mom

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:40 am
It is not necessarily art things that he's taking. He is taking candy and once took a toy as well. The teacher says he is a pleasure to have in class and is well behaved.
Thank you for all the comments. I really appreciate it.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 1:03 pm
I was preschool teacher. I once got a frantic call from a mom with 5 yr old dgtr on line to apologize to me. Her chet? She took a rubber glove from teachers closet. (Which I was clueless about) The kid was thrown out of house one day & was told she must return to teacher & say I'm sorry, which she didn't. When she came home with it next day, without returning it, mom called me frantically, because if her hub comes home & sees that, she will be thrown out again.

I think parents really went over the top crazy about it.....girl was showing signs of depression at age 5.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 1:05 pm
I was more concerned for her emotional health than for the rubber glove😲😣
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers