Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Fermented foods to boost immunity?

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 4:56 pm
I've been reading about some of the benefits of fermented foods & was wondering if anyone has actual experience in giving it to kids.

Particularly I'd like to know how much to give? (preschool age kids) I understand you have to start slowly and then build up the amount each day?

Is the juice itself helpful? for eg. if I have fermented pickles or garlic & I child only wants to drink from the juice.

My main question- does it really boost immunity & all the talk about the probiotics in it- is it true is it worth it? kids are constantly coming down with colds etc & having an immune compromised child I need to do something to boost everyone...

Thanks in advance!

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:10 pm
For myself (as an adult), it absolutely worked. I have a condition that made me resistant to most antibiotics, so if ever get an infection it's very hard to treat. I try to take fermented foods religiously in order to build up my immunity. Food that is ideally fermented is much more powerful than any probiotics that you buy in the health food store.
Juice is helpful, but I personally take the actual things when I'm sick. Most people can't handle the strong taste of fermented garlic so they just drink the juice...

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:21 pm
cnc wrote:
For myself (as an adult), it absolutely worked. I have a condition that made me resistant to most antibiotics, so if ever get an infection it's very hard to treat. I try to take fermented foods religiously in order to build up my immunity. Food that is ideally fermented is much more powerful than any probiotics that you buy in the health food store.
Juice is helpful, but I personally take the actual things when I'm sick. Most people can't handle the strong taste of fermented garlic so they just drink the juice...

Thank you for sharing.
about the juice- for one of the kids I will have to do juice as it will go through a gtube. (have to ok with dr. though that it won't interfere with med.) so I hope it will be helpful!
For the other kids I guess I'll try pickles and see if they'll go for it. I doubt beets or garlic will go over well Smile
is any one food more beneficial then others?

trixx

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:09 pm
Sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha drinks (they are bubbly but go flat fairly quickly so it can be like a soda drink for them)

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:13 pm
Goat milk bio-yogurt is excellent. I just bought some more today. :-)

I've finally decided to make my own sauerkraut. It seems easy enough. I'll let you know how it goes. Cabbage is pretty cheap, so even if I ruin the first batch, it won't be such a tragedy.

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:15 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you for sharing.
about the juice- for one of the kids I will have to do juice as it will go through a gtube. (have to ok with dr. though that it won't interfere with med.) so I hope it will be helpful!
For the other kids I guess I'll try pickles and see if they'll go for it. I doubt beets or garlic will go over well Smile
is any one food more beneficial then others?

Garlic, sauerkraut and kimchi.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:17 pm
cnc wrote:

You're going to have to invite me to taste your homemade fermented foods cnc! Tongue Out

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:17 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You're going to have to invite me to taste your homemade fermented foods cnc! Tongue Out

You have a standing open invitation!! Very Happy
I don't ferment them myself though, I buy them from a friend that does it.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:19 pm
cnc wrote:
I'm game! I'd love to taste before I try it myself.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:36 pm
cnc wrote:

I'm curious, is the garlic salt fermented, preserved in vinegar, or does your friend use a lactic acid starter?

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 10:51 pm
CNC, how much would you say they should be having of the fermented foods each day?

NovelConcept

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 1:49 am
Do be aware that not everyone can handle fermented foods. Some people have an allergic-type reaction and develop hives, and children with autism and FPIES frequently can't handle fermented foods.
But, of course, the actual concept of fermentation is sound. Probiotics are great for those who can't handle or won't eat fermented foods.
I have a child who has been sickly for most of her life. Two weeks on Prodermix made her into a different child. Each time I miss a couple days, she relapses.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics