Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Wood flooring vs Laminate

mmyy

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:33 pm
We are buying a new house, and were thinking on doing laminated floor in the upstairs bedrooms, but I see that most ppl. do wood flooring, Why? what are the pros and cons of both?

What would you recommend?

Lovemykids1

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 10:30 am
I'm in this situation now. Remodeling and want to rip out my carpet . Hardwood floor seems to be costly. Any other floor options that look and feel like hardwood but is cheaper ?

mmyy

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 10:57 am
Lovemykids1 wrote:
I'm in this situation now. Remodeling and want to rip out my carpet . Hardwood floor seems to be costly. Any other floor options that look and feel like hardwood but is cheaper ?

I'm the OP of this thread.
We ended up going with laminated flooring.
We are very happy with it, it didn't come out that much cheaper than parquet but it holds nicer and there are no scratches.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 11:28 am
Is luxury vinyl plank an option? Holds up much, much better than laminate.

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 11:29 am
mmyy wrote:
I'm the OP of this thread.
We ended up going with laminated flooring.
We are very happy with it, it didn't come out that much cheaper than parquet but it holds nicer and there are no scratches.

I suppose it depends on the use and stress the floor is put to. We did laminate of a European make with 25 years warranty 12 years ago. Our kids managed to ruin it - skate boards, roller blades, water and rocks have left their permanent traces. To be fair, parquet might also not have survived it well. Israeli house where the front door opens directly into the living room with nothing in between. But also around the chairs at our table and dh's computer chair, the upper wood optic layer has peeled away and the grey underneath material shows in large patches. Disappointed. But I realize we overtaxed it. Maybe we should have gotten tiles instead (or reinforced concrete).

mmyy

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:25 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
I suppose it depends on the use and stress the floor is put to. We did laminate of a European make with 25 years warranty 12 years ago. Our kids managed to ruin it - skate boards, roller blades, water and rocks have left their permanent traces. To be fair, parquet might also not have survived it well. Israeli house where the front door opens directly into the living room with nothing in between. But also around the chairs at our table and dh's computer chair, the upper wood optic layer has peeled away and the grey underneath material shows in large patches. Disappointed. But I realize we overtaxed it. Maybe we should have gotten tiles instead (or reinforced concrete).

Sorry, I forgot to mention, this was for upstairs, so none of the issues you mentioned.
For main floor I would recommend parquet or tiles

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 4:45 pm
The choice is really going to be dictated by your budget.

Hardwood floor is more elegant and upscale and would be expected in homes of a certain value.

Laminate is less expensive but there are still different quality grades

Wear and tear are not going to be factors in bedrooms to some extent although. guess a kid's bedroom floor could get a lot of abuse.

meme6

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 4:49 pm
I did the laminate I believe that’s what it’s called in my kitchen and dining room now . Zero regrets I hate wood floor which I have upstairs any tiny moves scratches it, it’s worse then a furniture piece. There are many different quality I would though make sure your getting good quality.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics