Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Data on measles outbreak
1  2  3  Next

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:07 am
Just a question- does anyone have access to stats regarding the current outbreak?

How many children, how many adults, & how many vaxxed, how many unvaxxed, how many partially vaxxed, and how many who had the disease itself ?

How did the measles outbreak begin in the NY metropolitan area? How did it begin?

I am asking because I am concerned about attending a simcha where unvaxxed children will be. My children all vaxxed but some only partially, due to being too young for the booster shot.

Just got me thinking that I would love same actual data instead of theoreticals.

Where can I get access to the stats regarding the current measles crisis?

Thank You

Last edited by gold21 on Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Sebastian

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:09 am
68 in Monsey and 11 cases pending

11 in Lakewood in 7 pending (I heard there are more but the parents aren't taking the kid to the doctor to report it)

17 in Willy/BP with 2 babies in ICU

If your kids are older than 2 and have gotten at least 1 dose. I would bring them but ask your dr. Is there any way the anti vaxer's kids can be told to stay home?

Last edited by Sebastian on Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:11 am
Sebastian wrote:
63 in Monsey and 11 cases pending

11 in Lakewood in 7 pending (I heard there are more but the parents aren't taking the kid to the doctor to report it)

I'm not sure about Willy/BP.

Thank you, Sebastian.

Where did u get your information from? I would like to follow the same source if I can. As of now, I've been mostly hearing about it online etc, but want an actual source so I can analyze it for myself.

Thank you!

Sebastian

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:17 am
I saw an updated news article with those stats. You can probably get more exact stats from the NYC dept of health, OCDOH, RCDOH

nchr

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:21 am
gold21 wrote:
Thank you, Sebastian.

Where did u get your information from? I would like to follow the same source if I can. As of now, I've been mostly hearing about it online etc, but want an actual source so I can analyze it for myself.

Thank you!

Call DOH and/or your pediatrician.

nchr

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:21 am
Sebastian wrote:
I saw an updated news article with those stats. You can probably get more exact stats from the NYC dept of health, OCDOH, RCDOH

OCDOH has no cases so why would you call them?

Sebastian

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:26 am
nchr wrote:
OCDOH has no cases so why would you call them?

Ocean County in New Jersey. Lakewood has cases of measles.

nchr

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:26 am
I called the DOH they said that, as we've always said, for a small percentage of individuals 5-3%, immunity will not be developed even after infection with the virus and/or proper innocculation with 2 MMRs... the vast majority of immunized people and those born before 1957 have nothing to fear.

Mommy1:)

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:27 am
gold21 wrote:
Just a question- does anyone have access to stats regarding the current outbreak?

How many children, how many adults, & how many vaxxed, how many unvaxxed, how many partially vaxxed

This information would likely be harder to come across because of HIPAA and privacy laws.

nchr

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:27 am
Sebastian wrote:
Ocean County in New Jersey. Lakewood has cases of measles.

Sorry! I thought Orange County!

southernbubby

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 12:08 pm
nchr wrote:
I called the DOH they said that, as we've always said, for a small percentage of individuals 5-3%, immunity will not be developed even after infection with the virus and/or proper innocculation with 2 MMRs... the vast majority of immunized people and those born before 1957 have nothing to fear.

I really hope that we have nothing to fear.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 3:32 pm
According to my pediatrician (brooklyn): plenty of patients with measles that are hiding out at home bec they don't want doh to be notified.
she said they'll probably come in a couple of weeks to check their titers & shuin.

Sebastian

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 3:53 pm
24 cases in Brooklyn. The initial case was unvaccinated. See here: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/......page

68 cases in Rockland county. See here: http://rocklandgov.com/departm.....tion/

11 in Lakewood and 7 more case pending. See here: https://www.ochd.org/wp-conten.....8.pdf

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 4:12 pm
If pregnant is it dangerous to travel to monsey?

nchr

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 4:55 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I really hope that we have nothing to fear.

They just reiterated that since about 3% of individuals who get wild measles or 2 MMRs will not develop the necessary immunity, we could see some cases in such people. Since measles is so widespread and there are so many cases, it offers more chances for those 3% to actually be exposed to and develop the measles. Statistically when these 3% of people come down with the measles, it tends to be milder, less likely to result in complications and less infectious. Anyways, since the Orthodox community is so tight-knit and has such a large population, 3% could be a significant number.

Spring Valley has a population of about 33,000 (3% is 990)
Monsey has a population of about 20,000 (3% is 600)
Rockland County has a population of about 300,000 (3% is 9,900)

Also note that Rockland County has about a 94% vaccination rate, which means that the county has almost 20,000 who would have about a 90% chance of developing measles if they come in contact with the virus. Thankfully, out of the other 310,000, only about 9,900 would potentially develop measles if exposed.

nchr

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 4:55 pm
amother wrote:

Have you received 2 MMRs? If so, you have about a 97% chance of being fine even if exposed; however, speak to your doctor since pregnancy can also mess with your immune system.

Last edited by nchr on Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:

I'm pregnant and am not traveling to Monsey or any area that is known to be affected by the outbreak. Doctor imposed isolation for our safety...

According to the Rockland County DOH, everyone is considered exposed at this point. My doctor says it's out of the question I cannot go, even though it means missing simchos etc.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:16 pm
Do we have any actuaries on here? So for vaccinated children 3% could still not be immune. They would have to be exposed to someone else who has measles -what percentof the population is that? And using combination or permutations, what are the percent chance of those 3% meeting in close proximity to catch it from the people whof are contagious . Then most vaxxed will possibly have a milder case probably without compications. Inot my very unmathematical estimation, vaccinate children in the tristate area have a higher likelihood of lots of other very rare things. I don't think anyone should be worrying on this at all if we speak of someone vaccinated.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:35 pm
nchr wrote:
They just reiterated that since about 3% of individuals who get wild measles or 2 MMRs will not develop the necessary immunity, we could see some cases in such people. Since measles is so widespread and there are so many cases, it offers more chances for those 3% to actually be exposed to and develop the measles. Statistically when these 3% of people come down with the measles, it tends to be milder, less likely to result in complications and less infectious. Anyways, since the Orthodox community is so tight-knit and has such a large population, 3% could be a significant number.

Spring Valley has a population of about 33,000 (3% is 990)
Monsey has a population of about 20,000 (3% is 600)
Rockland County has a population of about 300,000 (3% is 9,900)

Also note that Rockland County has about a 94% vaccination rate, which means that the county has almost 20,000 who would have about a 90% chance of developing measles if they come in contact with the virus. Thankfully, out of the other 310,000, only about 9,900 would potentially develop measles if exposed.

Some are saying that my age group needs to have a titers checked because the so called immunity is based on the probability that we actually had the measles.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:02 pm
I live out west, but we are planning to attend a simcha in Lakewood on Chanukah with a recently vaxxed one year old. Reading this thread I am getting worried that it isn't safe. Thoughts?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics