Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Unpopular Opinions
  Previous  1  2  3 10  11  12 16  17  18  Next

smile12345

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:38 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
What age are you referring to? My (young) kids NEED 12 hours of sleep. They go to bed at 7 and ate certainly not awake or close to it at 4:30..

Lucky you. My five year old never sleeps more than ten. And that's max, often less.

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:52 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
My unpopular opinion: It is not better to be an extrovert than an introvert.

I find that everywhere you turn, people are encouraged to be extroverts. From job openings: "looking for upbeat, people-person" to society in general "you need to get out more" "why don't you join our n'shei watsapp group?" to imamother posts "my daughter doesn't want to go to camp".

I have yet to come across an extrovert being encouraged to become an introvert. Why is the opposite ok?

One of my students’ mother (Dang it! Now I am obsessed with apostrophes, since that post. Can’t figure this one out) ok scratch that——
My student’s mother called me to talk through the “problem” of her daughter being an introvert. I told her that her daughter seemed to be really happy—if she had been shy and bothered by the fact that she couldn’t work up the courage to talk a lot it would be one thing. But she had no issue speaking up when she wanted to, and had a couple of friends. The mother was like “but that’s not healthy!”
Why the hell not?!
I used to spend my recesses in elementary sitting alone and reading. My teachers were always encouraging me to go out and play but I honestly didn’t want to! I had friends and all, but recess was my downtime and what better way to relax then to sit alone, breathe and read?

Forrealx

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:54 pm
- Trump is a shame
- I'm not free to say openly I'm very leftwing
- I'm pro abortion and euthansai ( I mean I won't do it but I think it could be helpful for others)
- I don't think Islam is evil (I've studied religion studies)
- I don't think Arabs are evil (their leaders might be but a random Arab why would I be scared of?)
- I don't like Israel (people are mean and rude and shout)
- Mental health issues should be treated like physical health issues

Reality

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:19 pm
Forrealx wrote:
- Trump is a shame
- I'm pro abortion and euthansai ( I mean I won't do it but I think it could be helpful for others)
- I don't think Arabs are evil (their leaders might be but a random Arab why would I be scared of?)

Your opinions really are unpopular on a frum website!

I think many people are posting opinions that aren't unpopular!

hotzenplotz

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:27 pm
I admire the chasidim who look chasidish and have a solid identity. The men look chasidish

without the tight pants, pointy shoes, better shirt look and the women look chasidish without the short tight skirt, long sheitel.

hotzenplotz

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:33 pm
debsey wrote:
1) Animal prints are only attractive on animals.

2) pizza is a perfectly acceptable breakfast for kids.

3) there's no halacha that says you MUST serve milchigs on Thursday night.

4) Lakewood is not the root of all evil. Most of us are just normal people, with normal human frailties and strengths and weaknesses and most of us are nice and friendly.

Lakewook, Lakewood I feel for you. Boro Parkers used to be treated the same way.
We used to host guests and they ate, slept, and used us for all kinds of favors and badmouthed our community in front of the children.

hotzenplotz

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:39 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I agree with all except #12. Israel’s air is said to be holy, the kotel, the only remnant left of the Beit Hamikdash is there, there’s no way America is “just as good,” and certainly not better. #13 is something I’ve been touting for years. I believe it’s horrible that parents are pressured to send their newborns out to playgroup (that was done to me, by nosy neighbors who couldn’t understand why I was walking with the baby in a carriage during a weekday!) and I’m not referring to mothers who absolutely must work for parnassa (as opposed to those who just choose to work “to get out of the house.” There’s plenty of time for that when the kids start school.) A therapist told me that if parents understood how damaging it could be to have a non-Jewish nanny spending many hours with your young impressionable kids, they’d be horrified.

I dont think America is just as good as Israel. But I think that for some people their
ruchniyas is actually easier in America.
The In your face of the Sikrikim, The Peleg, the meshichistin and the na na nachman group
all that stuff is not for everyone. although most people there are just wonderful it can be
unsettling for some neshomas. and I believe that hashem has a tikkun for some us here.

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:44 pm
Forrealx wrote:
- Trump is a shame

I agree with you on the whole islamophobia thing (though must disagree about abortion). I am not afraid of Muslims and find it very offputting how racist many people are. Radical Muslims are a tiny fringe group, and most Muslims are peaceful wonderful people.
I actually have an extremely unpopular opinion on this topic... should I risk it? I think extremist/radical Islam and terrorists are a direct result of Zionism.
*running for cover*

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:46 pm
You know, this thread is really therapeutic in teaching is to air our views instead of hiding under the amother mask. And I think that’s how we have managed to stay so civil (kein ayin hora peh peh peh)

simba

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:47 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
I actually have an extremely unpopular opinion on this topic... should I risk it? I think extremist/radical Islam and terrorists are a direct result of Zionism.
*running for cover*

Wow. Your gutsy! I would throw tomatoes but mine are too good quality to waste!
Banging head Shooting Arrow shock

Milky

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:55 pm
Here's mine:

Gray hair is beautiful and distinguished. I earned every single gray strand honestly and earnestly. It is not something I'm ashamed of. I secretly wish more women over 50 would gradually switch to gray wigs. And I wish there were more gray wig options! I'm not cool enough to pull it off, but some of my friends are.

I think women over 40 in long, glamorous wigs looks ridiculous. And ages their faces.

Aging is not scary. Living a life without meaning is.

Age means wisdom, perception, and experience. I fervently believe this. And I'm still under 40.

Glad I got that out! Thanks, ginger.

Debbie

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:05 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
Thank you!!! I can’t stand when people say “my husband is babysitting.” Like what?! Did you hire him?
My husband calls it fighting for “men’s rights”

I am with you on this one Ravenclaw.
A husband is not a babysitter!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:09 pm
I'm going to unfollow because I disagree so profoundly with some posts, and don't want to spoil the party. So I'll go. I would hate my disappointment to show, there's nothing for me here, so I will disappear.

(ETA a missing word. Those of you who know, know Wink )

Last edited by PinkFridge on Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

happymom123

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:48 pm
I firmly believe that a parent should never speak disrespectfully about a child's teachers or principal in front of their child. Regardless of how wrong they may be. I know it's unpopular nowadays. But I stand by it

cuterpatooter

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:58 pm
this isn't 'unpopular', but something many don't realize. Don't tell singles 'im yirtzeh shem by you' at weddings/vorts (especially if you couple it with a shoulder-pat and knowing smile). You mean it as encouragement, but it doesn't come across like that.

Medical professionals are flawed humans also. The wrong therapist, doctor, psychiatrist, surgeon, fertility doc, even dentist etc., can be DISASTROUS. Get a referall from someone you trust. They are might (not always) be more knowledgable about their field, but you are the most knowledagble on you. I met with 4 or 5 surgeons before finding one who was AMAZING; many of the others gave very bad advice

Only YOU can do the work to solve your problem. A therapist is there to guide and advise.

If a couple is having trouble conceiving, there is a lot to do before jumping to IVF or even pills.

Most of the time, the simpler the food, the yummier it is. And easier to cook!

Undergraduate school is 85% a waste of time and money.

Schools should focus more on practical subjects. A course on budgeting, psych 101, basic Home Ec/nutrition should be standard in all high schools.

I wish I could dress like a kid sometimes! I love pom pom hats, (and wear them with pride), cute cartoon prints and bright patterns
Though I would def skip the leggings+shorts

childrens books are the best

dena613

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:06 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I remember that in 10th grade, we discussed this with our Chumash teacher. We were doing Shmos that year. She brought in some interesting midrashim on the types of animals that showed up at Makas Arov. Also, the R'em which came when the mishkan was built - it had colorful hides. We talked about whether this might be the unicorn.

Not the r'em. You mean the tachash. Oros techashim.

dena613

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:08 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
Where does the Torah mention Ayin Harah??

It's a gemara

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:15 pm
I think the shaitel industry is a huge scam. Women are raking it in and charging ridiculous prices for hair they got in China for $40. And then they put 80 pounds of hair on a woman that falls to their waist and tell them they look "amazzziing! It's like it's coming out of your head!"

No. It doesn't. No one has hair that looks like that. And that lace front? It looks weird, and all of us are staring at it.

debsey

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 10:09 pm
happymom123 wrote:
I firmly believe that a parent should never speak disrespectfully about a child's teachers or principal in front of their child. Regardless of how wrong they may be. I know it's unpopular nowadays. But I stand by it

Agree 1000000000000000% Liking wasn't enough. If you disagree with the hanhala, call them and discuss politely. Don't call your kid's principal an idiot at a public event, where my kids can hear you!

NovelConcept

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 1:33 am
Cheiny wrote:
As far as the overweight, frumpy, and not pulled together wives, do you honestly think their husbands are happy with their lack of self care? I don’t.

Cheiny, please don't go a like a bulldozer and toss out criticism at every segment of the community. There are opinions and there are insults.

Many "overweight, frumpy and not pulled together wives" make their husbands very happy in that they are kind, caring and just perhaps, do get put together at home, for him.

Also, many husbands are just happy that their wives who might be overweight and slovenly are just alive. Not everyone is just "lazy" you know. Nobody wants to be overweight or shlumpy. Many times there are health issues that complicate things.
Page 11 of 18   Previous  1  2  3 10  11  12 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics