Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Data on measles outbreak
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 11:13 pm
I will say CHECK YOUR TITRES if you can get the MMR (not pregnant). My husband and I both got our titres checked, we were both not immune, and we both got the MMR vaccine. We live in Monsey and are 25-35 years old.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 11:33 pm
amother wrote:
I live out west, but we are planning to attend a simcha in Lakewood on Chanukah with a recently vaxxed one year old. Reading this thread I am getting worried that it isn't safe. Thoughts?

Check with your ped. but you'll probably be ok. we recently vaxxed our 1 yr old. ID doc wants him to get another MMR as he wills start a medication that effects immunity. said that 1 vaccine only gives 80% immunity, which is probably fine for a regular kid but can be scary for him especially that we live in an area where its widespread & will probably be so for a while.

Very upsetting to me bec of other people not vaxx. my child with weak system will need to get 2 in a very short amount of time Sad

too tired

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 4:32 pm
amother wrote:
I will say CHECK YOUR TITRES if you can get the MMR (not pregnant). My husband and I both got our titres checked, we were both not immune, and we both got the MMR vaccine. We live in Monsey and are 25-35 years old.

Please spread this. its very important:

One on the sicknesses avoided with MMR shot can cause severe life crippling birth defects for the ones that survive pregnancy.

SOLUTION: every choson kallah needs to check titers - its a very simple blood test even for people who got shots.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 5:56 pm
I’m 4 months pregnant now BH. My OB told me I had to get my titers checked. Results just came back that I’m immune BH.

I don’t live in the areas that have the outbreak but my community is close by. I’m still being careful and won’t go to those areas.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 6:02 pm
too tired wrote:
Please spread this. its very important:

One on the sicknesses avoided with MMR shot can cause severe life crippling birth defects for the ones that survive pregnancy.

SOLUTION: every choson kallah needs to check titers - its a very simple blood test even for people who got shots.

Just remember that immune for rubella isn't' always immune for measles and vice versa. You can be immune to one and not the other even though the person was vaccinated for both at the same time. Rubella apparently does more damage to the fetus than measles does.

Teacher_EW

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 8:08 am
My daughter's pediatrician is actually doing a study right now, testing the titres of all young adults (17-21) to see if there is a trend of many people losing immunity. Depending on the results he may want the CDC to recommend a booster at 17/18 before people get married and start having kids. I think checking titres before marriage is so important! And I never knew it was a thing until a few weeks ago.

outtatownmom

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:13 am
Here is some disturbing information on the current measles outbreak in the frum community and how it is being spread.

https://kolbishaerva.wordpress.....omen/

amother
Red

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:22 am
So my kid was just due for a booster or mmr. And she had had a double root canal on the day of her yearly physical. So I pushed it off. Then she got sick so I canceled that appointment. I finally got her the the shot and now I hear there has been a confirmed case in kj!
I hope I didn't give it to her too late. And I'm a nervous wreck.
I do delayed vaxxing and I wouldn't have been giving her the mmr for another 6 months for a few reasons. One of them me being pregnant and the slight chance of her "shedding" the disease and also with the delayed schedule, she really wasn't due for another 6-9 months. But with the outbreak so close by (monsey area) I figured it's the right thing to do.
So I'm pregnant and freaking she shouldn't "shed" the disease as the mmr is a partially live vaccine.
I keep on disinfecting the toilets and washing her clothing on hot cycles. And hugging her instead of kissing.

She doesn't know. But I'm still a mess. shock

I have have been fully vaccinated as of today. But I never really thought of checking my titters. Now it's too late. But I'll keep it in mind for next time iyh!

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:38 am
amother wrote:
I do delayed vaxxing and I wouldn't have been giving her the mmr for another 6 months for a few reasons. One of them me being pregnant and the slight chance of her "shedding" the disease

You can call your ob/midwife for confirmation, but the mmr does not cause shedding of the measles. This misinformation causes a lot of people to avoid protecting themselves and their families..

amother
Red

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 11:41 am
amother wrote:
You can call your ob/midwife for confirmation, but the mmr does not cause shedding of the measles. This misinformation causes a lot of people to avoid protecting themselves and their families..

You are right. I should ask my ob.

But I gave it to her anyway. I have a responsibility to her before my unborn child.

Hashem should watch over us and we should all be safe.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 11:56 am
amother wrote:
You are right. I should ask my ob.

But I gave it to her anyway. I have a responsibility to her before my unborn child.

Hashem should watch over us and we should all be safe.

Amein. I'm totally feeling your concerns, I'm also expecting, am immunosuppressed, and have been struggling with vaccine preventable disease outbreaks in my own community. I had to vaccinate my kids because I'm unable to have the vaccines myself...

I'm not judging to saying that you should have asked first - only suggesting you ask now to allay your concerns and find out if you need to be aggressively cleaning up the disinfecting out of your concerns of the vaccine causing shedding.

nchr

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 3:02 pm
amother wrote:
So my kid was just due for a booster or mmr. And she had had a double root canal on the day of her yearly physical. So I pushed it off. Then she got sick so I canceled that appointment. I finally got her the the shot and now I hear there has been a confirmed case in kj!
I hope I didn't give it to her too late. And I'm a nervous wreck.
I do delayed vaxxing and I wouldn't have been giving her the mmr for another 6 months for a few reasons. One of them me being pregnant and the slight chance of her "shedding" the disease and also with the delayed schedule, she really wasn't due for another 6-9 months. But with the outbreak so close by (monsey area) I figured it's the right thing to do.
So I'm pregnant and freaking she shouldn't "shed" the disease as the mmr is a partially live vaccine.
I keep on disinfecting the toilets and washing her clothing on hot cycles. And hugging her instead of kissing.

She doesn't know. But I'm still a mess. shock

I have have been fully vaccinated as of today. But I never really thought of checking my titters. Now it's too late. But I'll keep it in mind for next time iyh!

The measles vaccine does not shed. Also, washing clothing on hot cycles is not an effective way to protect against infection. In addition, since you've been fully vaccinated, you are 97% likely to be immune. Another good thing about KJ is their vaccination records are higher than that of Monsey, so hopefully that will help (although people do live closer together).

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 7:11 am
As of 12/12 of 91 cases in Rockland county only 3 were vaccinated and one was 62 years old.

https://www.lohud.com/story/op.....0002/

I think this speaks for the success of the vaccine alone considering it is one of the most contagious diseases known to man.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 7:40 am
amother wrote:
As of 12/12 of 91 cases in Rockland county only 3 were vaccinated and one was 62 years old.

I think this speaks for the success of the vaccine alone considering it is one of the most contagious diseases known to man.

Among the thousands of people immunized were 6 to 12 month old and small children getting second immunizations before age 4. Maybe others only had one dose during childhood and others had low titers and wanted another dose. Probably some were not immunized due to inconvenience and bringing the shots to public places made it easier. I wonder how many people who are anti-vax changed course.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 7:45 am
amother wrote:

The data u have is probably not correct since there were many undocumented cases. According to two doctors I spoke to there are probably over 300 cases in rockland.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 7:51 am
amother wrote:
The data u have is probably not correct since there were many undocumented cases. According to two doctors I spoke to there are probably over 300 cases in rockland.

That's likely speculation.
I work in an urgent care. They sent out an email recently telling us to be careful even with vaxxed patients because 5% of those who got it were immunized.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 7:59 am
amother wrote:

I'm just curious since this is the second post on this thread claiming doctors know about more cases - are doctors not required to report how many patients they know have it? Does the DOH compile this information based on voluntary input?

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 8:11 am
WhatFor wrote:
I'm just curious since this is the second post on this thread claiming doctors know about more cases - are doctors not required to report how many patients they know have it? Does the DOH compile this information based on voluntary input?

By undocumented I would assume it's the cases where the patient did not seek medical help. Many anti vaxxers did not go with their child to the doctor.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 8:19 am
But if they don’t go to the doctors, why and how are the doctors the ones who know about the undocumented cases?

A separate note, undocumented cases where they don’t go to the doctor are much more likely to be patients who were unvaccinated, that’s just logical. So if anything that skews the statistics even further toward proving that most cases were unvaccinated

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Dec 16 2018, 8:45 am
For specific info related to your situations please call your doctor, your pediatrician, your OB-GYN they can advise you best. Thats part of our hishtadlus.
My own bias is to err on the side of caution and stay away.

Wishing everyone health and happiness!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics