Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Can't get blood from my 10 yr old!
Previous  1  2

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
What's vascular nurse /ultrasound method? It's a one time thing. I have been told for the past year to check his blood?

I just remembered that this option is only when they put in an IV first. but may be worth it to find a place that does it if your dr is considering having him sleep for blood draw.

its specially trained nurses who are guided by ultrasound in finding a good vein. its a lot easier on child because there is no tourniquet being used. Mount Sinai hospital does this. NYU not. I don't know about other NY hospitals.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 3:32 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
I just remembered that this option is only when they put in an IV first. but may be worth it to find a place that does it if your dr is considering having him sleep for blood draw.

its specially trained nurses who are guided by ultrasound in finding a good vein. its a lot easier on child because there is no tourniquet being used. Mount Sinai hospital does this. NYU not. I don't know about other NY hospitals.

Thanks. Sounds like something worth pursuing maybe...

too tired

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 10:03 am
I think drinking at least 3 cups water the night before and 3 the morning of the blood test. for me it was dehidration on top of problematic veins

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:40 pm
My vein are very thin. I went to my doctor and o need blood work. They nurse tried and couldn’t do it. So she sent me to the hospital lab. I asked the nurse there can you do it I have thin vein. She said I can do anything. And she did it on first try.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 2:26 am
Op here, Thanks everybody. If someone knows of a highly skilled phlebtomist in Boro Park/Brooklyn area, I'd appreciate the contact info. Thanks.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 3:00 am
Hugs op. I’m literally about to cry for ur son, ouch! Moms are so strong!

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 6:03 pm
amother wrote:
Hugs op. I’m literally about to cry for ur son, ouch! Moms are so strong!

Thanks for the hug! You're so right!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics