Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Having a nutritionist for Shabbos lunch-HELP!

Aetrsnrady

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 12:21 pm
Going to eat having a Shabbos guest who is a nutritionist and I’m feeling self conscious....
We tend to like “heimish” (aka “fattening, unhealthy” Very Happy) food- chulent, kishka, potato kugel...
Aside from salads, any ideas for what to serve? I guess somewhat traditional and somewhat healthy? Thanks

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 12:28 pm
Quinoa
Green Beans
Bean salad
Salads- avacado, cucumber, anything
Water to drink

Lettuce salad with fish course

Skip the deli roll😋
But don't worry- it will be fine!!

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 12:31 pm
Nutritionists are human , they can cheat once in a while.

Tzedek Tirdof

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 12:35 pm
Aetrsnrady wrote:
Going to eat having a Shabbos guest who is a nutritionist and I’m feeling self conscious....
We tend to like “heimish” (aka “fattening, unhealthy” Very Happy) food- chulent, kishka, potato kugel...
Aside from salads, any ideas for what to serve? I guess somewhat traditional and somewhat healthy? Thanks

Why do you have to alter your usual Shabbos menu for the sake of impressing one guest? It’s not the same as accommodating somebody with an allergy/dietary lifestyle. If your guest doesn’t want to eat your kugel so be it. Just because someone is a nutritionist, it doesn’t mean they live the lifestyle they advise 24/7. And even if they do, it doesn’t mean you’re obligated to do so. Similarly, I know that not all doctors shun sugar 100% in their personal lives. I think you are all set if you make sure you have lots of healthy salads to choose in addition to your usual Shabbos food. If you drastically change the menu, don’t you have kids who might complain?

mom!

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 12:41 pm
You can do a deli salad, with dressing on the side..

Aetrsnrady

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 12:41 pm
Tzedek Tirdof wrote:
Why do you have to alter your usual Shabbos menu for the sake of impressing one guest? It’s not the same as accommodating somebody with an allergy/dietary lifestyle. If your guest doesn’t want to eat your kugel so be it. Just because someone is a nutritionist, it doesn’t mean they live the lifestyle they advise 24/7. And even if they do, it doesn’t mean you’re obligated to do so. Similarly, I know that not all doctors shun sugar 100% in their personal lives. I think you are all set if you make sure you have lots of healthy salads to choose in addition to your usual Shabbos food. If you drastically change the menu, don’t you have kids who might complain?

I just like to serve things that I know people will eat. I will add or change things on the menu based on certain tastes they may have. I don’t view this as any different than pleasing any picky eater, it’s just that I’m not so good at healthy Shabbos food and I want to be accommodating and make my guests (it’s the nutritionist’s whole family) feel comfortable and have something to eat.
You are 100% correct that my kids would not be happy so my goal is to get ideas of foods that might be a happy medium or foods that I could offer in addition to my regular fare. No way I’ll be telling the kids they must have quinoa instead of potato kugel!

Tzedek Tirdof

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 12:44 pm
Aetrsnrady wrote:
I just like to serve things that I know people will eat. I will add or change things on the menu based on certain tastes they may have. I don’t view this as any different than pleasing any picky eater, it’s just that I’m not so good at healthy Shabbos food and I want to be accommodating and make my guests (it’s the nutritionist’s whole family) feel comfortable and have something to eat.
You are 100% correct that my kids would not be happy so my goal is to get ideas of foods that might be a happy medium or foods that I could offer in addition to my regular fare. No way I’ll be telling the kids they must have quinoa instead of potato kugel!

That makes sense to accommodate both your family and your guest’s family but a lot of extra work for you!

Maybe a quinoa kugel could be a compromise. 🤣

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 12:47 pm
If eating out by other people would be a hassle for her, she probably wouldn’t do it!
She’ll probably enjoy salad, chicken, water, fruit for dessert.
I’d imagine she wouldn’t eat a lot of anything loaded with sugar and fat ... but you never know!! A healthy balance is good but don’t make yourself crazy!

tichellady

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:02 pm
Cholent, Israeli salad, potato kugel, roasted butternut squash or green beans, brownies and fruit

Now why can’t I come up with my own shabbos menu?

Teomima

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 4:15 pm
I think you should make your own menu but add a selection of roasted veggies. With just a dash of oil, a bit of salt, and nice, slow roasting times, foods like beets and butternut or spaghetti squash are delicious and sweet. Whole roasted sweet potatoes (add NOTHING) are like candy (literally. The juices caramelize and...yum!) Cauliflower with a little olive oil, salt, and balsamic vinegar is amazing, sweet and savory. You may just surprise yourself and find your kids love these healthy treats.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:28 pm
My sil is a nutritionist. She serves normal food including potato kugel and cholent. And scrambled eggs Sunday morning with lots of melted cheese.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:51 pm
Why be who you aren’t? Unless she told you what her special needs are, make and enjoy what you enjoy for shabbat. She isn’t coming to work.

We feed our guests what we eat. This week I have someone struggling with cancer coming who eats mostly as we do but has some added sensitivities. So, because she told me, we will adapt a bit, but only because she told me. I try always to accommodate those who tell me their issues, but if you say nothing, you eat what I do. Woe to any vegetarian people who don’t tell me.

If you don’t like matzah for hamotzi, don’t come to our house.

imasinger

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:25 pm
Whenever we have guests, we ask, "do you have any dietary needs or preferences?"

You can ask it here, too.

Nobody's out to critique their host's menu.

Trust me, I hosted andrea levy one time when she was visiting my area, and didn't know she was a chef! Smile

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:40 pm
imasinger wrote:
Whenever we have guests, we ask, "do you have any dietary needs or preferences?"

You can ask it here, too.

Nobody's out to critique their host's menu.

Trust me, I hosted andrea levy one time when she was visiting my area, and didn't know she was a chef! Smile

Oh my gosh! We had SUCH fun!!!!!!

SingALong

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 7:17 am
Some heath ideas she might appreciate:

Whole wheat matza
Sugar free salmon/fish
Salad with light dressing
Grilled veggies at room temperature
Grilled chicken room temperature
Fruit soup/cooked apple/pear chunks, or just fresh cut up fruit

I put my grilled chicken on top of crock pot to get it warm.

N'sMom

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 7:51 am
Make more salads than usual, and not ones that are sugary. Israeli salad, fennel salad, guacamole, roasted veggies of various kinds served cold and dressed with a bit of lemon or vinegar (they already have oil on them from the roasting). A couple of weeks ago I had a last minute need for one more salad. I roasted cut up butternut squash and apple with olive oil and cinnamon. Dressed it with a bit of balsamic vinegar right before serving. Everyone lived it.

Also, you could make a quinoa, brown rice or wild rice salad. The Internet is full of them. Again, go for one without sugary ingredients.

Finally, a fruit crisp is a healthy dessert that still tastes like a treat. Or cut up fruit and dark chocolate.

Milky

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 7:52 am
She's probably excited to have some REAL food for a change! :-)

dankbar

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:04 am
Im surprised nobody said yet, that you can add any veg kugel to your reg kugels. Broccoli kugel, cauliflower kugel, squash kugel, a kugel made from diff veg mixed. Don't put in any flour or sugar in it. Ez. Lets say for broc kugel: Just cook up broc , drain, mash, add in spices, onion soup mix, lite mayo 1/2 cup, like 3 eggs. Bake for about 40 min & voila done!

N'sMom

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:12 am
In place of onion soup mix, put in a chopped onion or some sautéed leeks. (Nothing against onion soup mix but nutritionists do not like it). I make a version of that with cauliflower almost every week and everyone adores it. It's important to bake it until the edges are good and crispy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus