Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Camera Canon t6i - where to buy?

ahuva06

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:46 pm
I'd love to hear from some photographers out there - where would you recommend I buy a Canon t6i and about how much do you think it should cost?
This time of year is perfect for sales - I'd love some recommendations! Thanks in advance!

justforfun87

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:56 pm
What is your budget? Wait until Black Friday. I believe Best Buy is having a sale. T6i is a beginners camera.

ahuva06

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:59 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
What is your budget? Wait until Black Friday. I believe Best Buy is having a sale. T6i is a beginners camera.

Yes, I am a beginner in the photography world so that's what I'm looking for. I'm not sure what I should expect to pay which is why I'm asking here...

mandr

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:02 pm
Do you want to get lenses with it as well, or just the standard kit lens?

ahuva06

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:07 pm
mandr wrote:
Do you want to get lenses with it as well, or just the standard kit lens?

I think I'd like to start off with just a basic camera kit and eventually build up...
But I'm definitely open to opinions on what the smartest move would be.
(I'd like to take a course and hopefully make a career out of this...)

mandr

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:10 pm
The lens that comes with the camera is quite pathetic. Do yourself a favor and get the "nifty 50" lens to start with. A 50mm 1.8 is under $200. I like to get my cameras and lenses on 4k4less.com because they don't charge shipping to NY. Their customer service is not awesome but their prices were sooo much cheaper than everywhere else I looked.

ahuva06

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:13 pm
mandr wrote:
The lens that comes with the camera is quite pathetic. Do yourself a favor and get the "nifty 50" lens to start with. A 50mm 1.8 is under $200. I like to get my cameras and lenses on 4k4less.com because they don't charge shipping to NY. Their customer service is not awesome but their prices were sooo much cheaper than everywhere else I looked.

Thanks so much for the guidance - as you can see I'm quite clueless in this area (hopefully not for long!)
If you think of any other helpful tips or pointers, I'm all ears!

justforfun87

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:15 pm
Are you on Facebook? If so message me and I can tell you of plenty of groups to join. Making money with photography is very hard but probably easier in the frum world. I bought an expensive camera when my son was born 7 years ago and just picking it back up now. There is tons to learn and the habit can become expensive very quickly! If you live in NY go to B&H. They are the camera capital of the world.

OutATowner

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:16 pm
If you are planning on taking a course you should ask them what camera you should get. I know people who had to get a very specific camera. It's great that you're looking into it now. Someone I know bought a camera for her class and a few weeks later it was on a BF sale for $200 less.

gande

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:18 pm
Every year canon runs a rebate program if you buy a bundle u get like $350 back. You can sell the printer and you get away very cheap.

Canon sells refurbished lenses and cameras and when they have the black Friday sale you can probably get the camera with a professional lense for the same price as you would pay for a new one with a kit lense.

Most of all, you have to look around. Keep on googling and filling deal sites such as Dan's deals. This time of the year is definitely the best time to buy.

ahuva06

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:20 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
Are you on Facebook? If so message me and I can tell you of plenty of groups to join. Making money with photography is very hard but probably easier in the frum world. I bought an expensive camera when my son was born 7 years ago and just picking it back up now. There is tons to learn and the habit can become expensive very quickly! If you live in NY go to B&H. They are the camera capital of the world.

I'm not on Facebook but thanks!
I hope that I'll be able to learn enough to start trying to make a profit sooner rather than later...
I was thinking about going to B&H but I don't think I'll make it there any time soon and I figured now's the time when the sales are running...

ahuva06

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:23 pm
OutATowner wrote:
If you are planning on taking a course you should ask them what camera you should get. I know people who had to get a very specific camera. It's great that you're looking into it now. Someone I know bought a camera for her class and a few weeks later it was on a BF sale for $200 less.

I asked the person who I'd like to take a course with and she suggested the t6i. I don't want to drive her crazy with all my, "from where and how much should I spend" questions because I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to sign up with her..

ahuva06

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:24 pm
gande wrote:
Every year canon runs a rebate program if you buy a bundle u get like $350 back. You can sell the printer and you get away very cheap.

Canon sells refurbished lenses and cameras and when they have the black Friday sale you can probably get the camera with a professional lense for the same price as you would pay for a new one with a kit lense.

Most of all, you have to look around. Keep on googling and filling deal sites such as Dan's deals. This time of the year is definitely the best time to buy.

Very good to know! Is buying refurbished a good idea? I know that when it comes to phones, for example, it's a hit or miss...

mandr

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:55 pm
I get refurbished lenses sometimes as long as it’s sold directly from the manufacturer. I use Nikon and they are more expensive than canon.

The t7i is canons latest model in that line and you may find a better deal on that one because ita more available. Go to slickdeals.net and set an alert for t7i or t6i and you’ll get email notifications if a deal arises.

gande

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:08 pm
ahuva06 wrote:
Very good to know! Is buying refurbished a good idea? I know that when it comes to phones, for example, it's a hit or miss...
's
With the dslrs and expensive lenses, it should be fine. These stuff doesn't break or ruin easily. Especially if it is manufactured refurbished. BTW I only buy my phones refurbished on ebay and I have always had a good experience.

gande

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 6:10 pm
https://kollelbudget.com/133147-2/
Great deal on the t6 bundle with 2 lenses

ahuva06

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 6:14 pm
gande wrote:
https://kollelbudget.com/133147-2/
Great deal on the t6 bundle with 2 lenses

Thanks so much! I actually ordered one for the same price earlier today, from B and H!

doctorima

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 7:20 pm
That's a great deal, but just to be clear, it's for the t6, not the t6i, which is a better (and more expensive) camera.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains