Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Child in hospital- can't find the cause (Allergy?? cramps??)
Previous  1  2

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 4:04 am
amother wrote:
Asked dh, he said he wouldn't normally expect a fever. Also a reminder, he hasn't examined dd, so not medical advice. Maybe make an appointment with your gp/ pediatrician for follow up advice.

Yeh, I do understand that this is not a diagnosis. Its just good to have people give their opinions that if it ever happens again then I know the questions to ask. The fever could be unrelated just happens to be after this incident.
Thank you very much to you and your DH for the advice

rydys

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 5:34 am
You definitely need to have this looked further into. If she were my patient, I would have her seen by neurology, cardiology and GI. Workup for intussusception as mentioned above is also a good idea.

NovelConcept

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 5:37 am
My first thought was also to rule out intussusception. My second thought was to question you about her bowel movements in general. I see she has had trouble in the past. Any weird yellow stool? Any vomiting episodes? Any diarrhea? Does she usually go several days without moving her bowels? If yes, the blacking out may be tied in to those ongoing issues, and you may want to look into FPIES. Chronic, not acute.

In regard to her rash, what king of "shampoo" did the doctor give you, may I ask?

bunchagirlies

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:32 am
my daughter had similar story as a baby. She would have bouts of hysterical screaming, throwing herself around, litteraly flipping in tumblesauces on my lap. She then would go limp, pale, sweating profusely.
My pediatrician mentioned milk allergy a couple of times, but since She had been fine on milk formula, and this started a month after I put her on regular milk, it was dismissed. She was in the hospital 3 times over a month to rule out intussusception, and check for other causes. She also had interesting pale yellow stool.
In the end, it WAS milk allergy!

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:09 pm
NovelConcept wrote:
My first thought was also to rule out intussusception. My second thought was to question you about her bowel movements in general. I see she has had trouble in the past. Any weird yellow stool? Any vomiting episodes? Any diarrhea? Does she usually go several days without moving her bowels? If yes, the blacking out may be tied in to those ongoing issues, and you may want to look into FPIES. Chronic, not acute.

In regard to her rash, what king of "shampoo" did the doctor give you, may I ask?

For the sensitive skin, she was given dermol 500 lotion to bath with and apply after the bath.
Her history of bowel movements hasn't been great, as a 2 week old I was at the doctor because she didn't have a bowel movement for 5 days and was screaming in pain- it was terrible to watch, we were told that the 1 bottle a day that I give her I should water down more (was told amounts) then she was an extremely gassy baby and screamed so much that there were times that I thought that she was going to pass out and we found out that she had a tongue tie (also struggled with BF) she had it cut and it wasn't magic but eventually settled. she then went through a period of constipation- having a BM once a day but they were rock hard- if she didn't have a BM 1 day then she used to scream, once it got so bad that we had to use a glycerin suppository to help her. we were prescribed Lactulose which she was on for months and then we on and off every 2-3 weeks. She has had many stomach bugs-diarrhoea vomiting and twice she had such bad stomach pains, not wanting eat...that I thought she swallowed something. Since she is young I have had days that I say that it sounds like on her cry something is blocked but then she has weeks that everything is perfect. They always say as long as she is putting on weight everything is fine (at some point me and her babysitter thought that she lost weight but the doc laughed and said he is so heavy-which he was but had definitely changed.
With Intussusception I read that there is nothing that a doc can see after it corrects itself so I guess that they anyway won't see anything.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:20 pm
Uy hope you can get to the bottom of it.

When were her last shots?

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:28 pm
amother wrote:
Uy hope you can get to the bottom of it.

When were her last shots?

Mid October

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 4:56 pm
When did these episodes start?

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 5:06 pm
amother wrote:
When did these episodes start?

The long post that I wrote is since he was a baby but this specific episode of insane pain was on Monday. The hospital put her on antibiotics (they were expecting to find an infection)but all blood tests were clear so now we have to complete it orally Sad
Does anyone know if someone that has Intussusception, are they at more risk of it happening again?

NovelConcept

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 5:15 pm
Based on what you are telling me, I would recommend finding an allergist that is trained in both IgE-mediated allergies, as well as FPIES and EoE.

My gut is telling me that this may be a case of chronic FPIES, but that is something you'd have to confirm with a doctor trained in allergy diseases.

FPIES is an allergic reaction that is believed to be a T-cell mediated response and does not show up on standardized RAST testings or skin-prick testings. IgE allergies usually do show up on those.

There are doctors at CHOP that are knowledgeable in FPIES, and a doctor at Mt. Sinai, Dr. Nowak-Wegzryn.

There are two forms of FPIES, chronic and acute. Chronic has less severe symptoms, but ongoing. Check out the FPIES Foundation for more info. Just Google it.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 7:46 pm
My son had similar issue, but not same.
As a toddler he would suddenly throw himself onto floor and roll around in pain and then it was gone.

Two observations now that he is a preteen.
1.he is lactose sensitive, he was never tested for milk allergies
2.we have struggled with soiling and wetting accidents over the years. Our most revealing understanding finally came from the video on YouTube called “the poo in you”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SgBj7Mc_4sc

We used enemas for a week to fully clear him out, then every other day and slowly weaned it off. Today at the beginning of any trouble we use an enema and Baruch Hashem its all clear.

May your child had a refuah Shleimah

amother
Red

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:52 pm
Op I understand you're in the UK and the NHS system is very messed up . There's an organization called MARS that helps with all medical concerns and problems . Maybe it's worth to give them a call, discuss the symptoms and they can tell u how to proceed . It's all free of charge , strictly confidential and very professional .02033228586
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics