Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Miami during yeshiva week

Should we attempt Miami restaurants during Yeshiva Week?
Yes  
 44%  [ 22 ]
No  
 56%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 50

Sqeesh

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:24 am
Hi all! I was wondering if anyone can tell me about Miami during yeshiva week, specifically about restaurants and food. I've heard horror stories about waiting hours to get food while overrun with tourists during yeshiva week. Are there any restaurants that handle this better? Maybe supermarkets with ready-made food that's easier than waiting in a restaurant? Thank you!

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:47 am
I'm a bit out of the loop. Can someone tell me when yeshiva week is this year? Would like to schedule a trip but dont want to end up there during that time.

Israeli

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:53 am
I wouldn't go to miami yeshiva week if you can avoid it. The kosher infrastructure there cant accommodate the amount of people that pack in that week. If you do go be prepared to wait hours to be seated, get food, get water, get bill etc. Or skip the restaurants all together

clowny

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 11:12 am
Israeli wrote:
I wouldn't go to miami yeshiva week if you can avoid it. The kosher infrastructure there cant accommodate the amount of people that pack in that week. If you do go be prepared to wait hours to be seated, get food, get water, get bill etc. Or skip the restaurants all together

This.

We were there one year during yeshiva week. (We were not aware) Reservations for restaurant have to be made 3-4 days in advance. So having to worry Monday where you will be eating dinner on Thursday is not my kind of vacation 😀. And even after you have reservations, waiting time until you get seated can take very long too.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 6:32 pm
what the heck is yeshiva week? My husband is in yeshiva and I never heard this term

confetti

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 9:32 pm
So last year we arrived on our Miami vacation without an idea bout Yeshiva week.
Came supper time and we went to Backyard Bbq smokehouse the wait was crazy. We called other restaurants and either couldn’t get through or we were told that there was no more room for that night. So we stayed at backyard and were eventually seated outside and the wait was terrible. The next morning we deciddd we’ll make reservations in advance. But we didn’t realize it was too late for that night. The restaurant weren’t accepting reservations anymore for that day.
Suppers ended up being a big deal on our vacation.
So we learnt what Yeshiva week is all about and promised never to go back that time.
I think it was in February.

erm

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 9:37 pm
yeshiva week=midwinter vacation

Zahava

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 9:43 pm
Does anyone know the dates for yeshiva week for this winter?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 12:40 pm
I'm picturing "Bochurim Gone Wild"!

Not my idea of a relaxing vacation.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 1:20 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'm picturing "Bochurim Gone Wild"!

Not my idea of a relaxing vacation.

The bochurim don't have off yeshiva week. The chareidi boys high schools aka mesivtas don't give mid-winter vacation. It's the elementary schools and some of the girls' high schools that for some reason give the kids off in February. The little ones can be entertained close to home (or even at home shock ) but it's becoming more and more the norm for the 10+ crowd to think they need to get on a plane. You're not gonna believe this FF but the parents actually take their precious darlings all over the place. So it's not "Bochurim Gone Wild" more like "Parents Gone Nuts".

Moonlight

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 11:17 pm
Jan 20 til 27.
I hope to go this year!

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 5:53 pm
We went to Florida for the first time ever last year, yeshiva week. We didn't go to the restaurants. Had a fabulous time! We're a low-key type family, and did nature stuff and nothing gashmius-oriented. It was so nice to go somewhere warm in the middle of the winter and the flights were really cheap. Usually when the kids have off it's YT and you're really busy, this was an actual vacation and was a great change of pace BH.

chulentalakiddush

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:38 pm
for those asking, Yeshiva week refers to the midwinter break that most day schools have off. This year at my kids school its jan 17-27. it usually coincides with MLK day.

My family went to Miami for Yeshiva week two years ago and like previous posters stated, the restaurants are very busy. If you can plan in advance, book your restaurants before you get there and doing dinner early helps (when in Florida) If you are staying in an apartment then you can buy pretty much anything you can get in New York. Kosherland has good take out and you can also order restaurant food to go
restaurants you shouldn't miss: Fuego, Rustiko, Levys of hollywood

have a great time!

L K

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:
but it's becoming more and more the norm for the 10+ crowd to think they need to get on a plane. You're not gonna believe this FF but the parents actually take their precious darlings all over the place. So it's not "Bochurim Gone Wild" more like "Parents Gone Nuts".

Is it 10yo+ or 10-ppl plus?

What's does taking all over the place mean? I'm just wondering if I missed some of that "all over the place" action when I went there lol.

elisheva25

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 9:03 am
It’s nice but not yeshiva week. It’s not just reastaurants, but it’s also all the tourist places that get flooded .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics