Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much did your supper cost you today
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10

simcha2

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:15 pm
Tacos

Vegetarian ground beef -$3.99
Taco shells $1.00
Cucumber, tomato, avocado cut up $3.50
Salsa, sour cream, cheese, spices $2.50

About $11
2 adults, 2 kids (teen and tween)

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:18 pm
keym wrote:
Thank you!! I'm reading these meals and can't. We are a family of 7. 2 adults, 3 preteen/teens, 2 younger. My kids do t eat lunch nicely. Not sandwich people. Sometimes they eat school lunch nicely, sometimes they pick at it.
2 nights ago, I served 1.5 lbs chopped meat as meatballs, spaghetti, 4 peppers, 4 kirbies, and 1 lb carrots. We had 1 meatball left over and by 8pm, the three older ones were rummaging for fruit, crackers, dry cereal.
Last night I made 3 lbs grilled chicken cutlets intending to freeze at least half. I also made rice and farfel as a choice and steamed broccoli. Let's just say my 11 year old ate 4 portions and wanted a fifth. But I can't complain. Its healthy. And there are those who just can't convince their kids to taste chicken or broccoli.
Many of my kids have allergies to different cheap foods so.... (Eggs, dairy, nuts, chickpeas, soy, peas, peanuts, and lentils).

I don't understand, noone said any less than you.
You are saying 1.5 lbs chopped meat for 7 people.
Posters above said 1 lb for 2 people plus a toddler. Which sounds a very lot IMHO. And I'm a big eater.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:20 pm
This whole thread makes me realize that our family must be super big eaters. I remember when I had my last child, we had people make us dinners. It was amazing, it was a huge chesed, I'm not knocking it. But what they didn't realize is that those dinners were for my husband and maybe a few kids. I had to make myself my own dinner because there just wasn't enough food. And the other kids ate what I made for myself too.

And we are all skinny, FYI.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:33 pm
I also had a while that people were making us dinner when we were in a crisis so either people sent full meal but very little from each thing or few things but too much from each.
At that time it was for 2 adults 3 little kids.
One time I got a 9×13 of baked ziti. Few pieces steamed broccoli & cauliflower & a dozen mini bought cupcakes. That was for one dinner....weird!

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:35 pm
Another time I got big huge supper 15 slices flounder. 10 blintzes....

pesek zman

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:47 pm
amother wrote:
I also had a while that people were making us dinner when we were in a crisis so either people sent full meal but very little from each thing or few things but too much from each.
At that time it was for 2 adults 3 little kids.
One time I got a 9×13 of baked ziti. Few pieces steamed broccoli & cauliflower & a dozen mini bought cupcakes. That was for one dinner....weird!

What? 9x13 ziti can easily feed 6 adults! That’s 1lb of pasta plus lots of cheese and sauce!

See serving size below, and on every other recipe for a 9x13 in the world.

https://www.joyofkosher.com/.a.....ziti/

Sebastian

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:56 pm
I would need a soup and/or salad with it to feed 6. My husband has a big appetite.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:41 pm
She sent a huge amt of ziti for our family but my hub didn't call it dinner. Just ziti is not a dinner for him. Of course we coudnt finish the entire pan at once....for my kids ziti was fine for dinner but my hub needs a real meal like fish.

The other time she sent fish for main course so then my kids didn't have what to eat ( they dont touch salmon) with it she sent a fancy pasta with herbs....they like theirs with cocoa not leaves....then THEY didnt have what to eat.

I appreciate the chesed & effort but it's hard to figure out tastes & amounts for other people.

Whenever I send for other people dinners I do a full meal with diff choices so everyone has what to eat, if you don't know their tastebuds. Someone that is picky & I am aware what they like, I try to send them what I know they would eat

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:50 pm
If you order catered food they tell you 9x13 potato kugel would serve 10-15 slices so dont know if baked ziti is considered in same category. If you figure a portion like a slice of kugel it might even feed more.
There was nothing else on menu so my kids ended up eating 2-3 bowls of baked ziti, because they are used to fuller meals.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:56 pm
Another time I got 9×13 of grilled cutlets & 9x13 grilled sweet potato which my fam likes but I couldnt even freeze leftovers as they're only good fresh. This one was a one time generous one. Other times I got so exact/little from each thing.

I am happy that I am doing my own dinner already bh. Not ez being on receiving end. Much more fun to be on giving end.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:56 pm
Mac and cheese - $1 + about $1 of cheese
Tomato bean soup - about $3
Caesar Salad $3
Total $8 for 2 adults 4 little kids

R3D

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 2:38 am
amother wrote:
this thread is making me think! funny how I dont usually think about what Im spending on supper. But to be honest, food expenses are not just meals. Its lunches to send to school, snacks for hungry teenagers etc.

last nights supper, 2 adults, 5 kids of which 2 are hungry teenage boys,
mac and cheese - 1.5 boxes pasta = $1.50
8oz shredded cheese - $3.39
scrambled eggs (14 eggs) approx $2
can of corn - 89c
8 small cucumbers sliced - $2.78
orange juice - approx $2

total = $12.56

2 nights ago, 2 adults, 5 kids of which 2 are hungry teenage boys,
ground chicken balls, (chicken was on sale at $3.99/lb) used about 2lbs, plus 2 eggs, matzomeal, one onion - total approx= $8.80
can of tomato sauce - $1.29
2 boxes near east rice mix - $3.98
1.5lb frozen string beans = $2.25
grape tomatoes - $1.79

total = $18.11

sounds very much like my family style eating. normal

Raisin

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 4:40 am
amother wrote:
She sent a huge amt of ziti for our family but my hub didn't call it dinner. Just ziti is not a dinner for him. Of course we coudnt finish the entire pan at once....for my kids ziti was fine for dinner but my hub needs a real meal like fish.

The other time she sent fish for main course so then my kids didn't have what to eat ( they dont touch salmon) with it she sent a fancy pasta with herbs....they like theirs with cocoa not leaves....then THEY didnt have what to eat.

I appreciate the chesed & effort but it's hard to figure out tastes & amounts for other people.

Whenever I send for other people dinners I do a full meal with diff choices so everyone has what to eat, if you don't know their tastebuds. Someone that is picky & I am aware what they like, I try to send them what I know they would eat

This is why I hate sending meals. My family would consider pasta and cheese a filling meal. (I usually make salmon for myself and anyone who wants it for diet reasons, not because its more filling) But who knows what other people consider normal? Some people in this thread seem to serve no vegetables at all with their meals.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 8:07 am
Moonlight wrote:
Mac and cheese - $1 + about $1 of cheese
Tomato bean soup - about $3
Caesar Salad $3
Total $8 for 2 adults 4 little kids

When I make mac and cheese, I use at least $5 worth of cheese, sometimes $6. That's what I pay for the standard 8 ounce package of shredded cheese; I don't find that it is any cheaper if I buy a block and grate it myself. $1 for the pasta. Usually, I make baked ziti, so there's also the sauce, for $2 when I get it on sale. So at least $8. The trouble is that this is basically three teenage servings when supplemented with lots of fruits, vegetables, and milk. And fruits and vegetables are not cheap.

When you think about the fat and carb content of that size serving of mac and cheese or baked ziti, it is a really bad value nutritionally. So I almost always opt to do much more expensive chicken or ground beef or fish for dinner, and reserve pasta dishes for the nine days or other times when there is no choice.

acemom

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 10:07 am
amother wrote:
If you order catered food they tell you 9x13 potato kugel would serve 10-15 slices so dont know if baked ziti is considered in same category. If you figure a portion like a slice of kugel it might even feed more.
There was nothing else on menu so my kids ended up eating 2-3 bowls of baked ziti, because they are used to fuller meals.

10-15 slices potato kugel does not equal 10-15 full meals. It's just 10-15 servings of a side.
Maybe baked ziti is more filling than kugel bit I would definitely not consider a slice a full serving/meal.
As I said before, we are probably big eaters ( I know I am embarrassed )

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 11:11 am
acemom wrote:
10-15 slices potato kugel does not equal 10-15 full meals. It's just 10-15 servings of a side.
Maybe baked ziti is more filling than kugel bit I would definitely not consider a slice a full serving/meal.
As I said before, we are probably big eaters ( I know I am embarrassed )

You are right when you order potato kugel for a simcha there are other foods as well & people aren't relying on it for their food....its like a snack. I was just trying to say if you cut into slices, the amount of slices you can get out of it. If that's the only thing served on menu, obviously one slice won't do it. If served as a side maybe.

Being that my hub likes fish & doesn't consider baked ziti as a main. ( His mom always served fish on a pareve supper) & my kids don't like fish I usually do both, fish & ziti. So ziti becomes e side for my hub.

If I would send to someone, I would send fish & pasta if they have kids.

Also if I do any fancy pasta side dish for meat dinner, I leave over some plain pasta for the picky ones. I would do same if I send to someone with kids just in case they dont like the fancy one.
Page 10 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 Recent Topics