Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Is it ok to put plastic-wrapped kishka directly in cholent?

muffinsmommy

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 12:12 pm
I use the MealMart kishka; it comes vacuum-sealed in plastic, but after you remove the outer layer, it is still in a thin plastic layer. I've been told that the way most people use it is to put it directly in the cholent while still in the thin plastic layer. I tried calling the company to find out, but couldn't get through. Does anyone happen to know if it is safe (BPA-wise) to cook the kishka in the plastic layer?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 1:09 pm
Remove the outer plastic. Ok to leave the second wrapping.

bassarah

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 1:11 pm
I always leave the second wrapping, otherwise it falls apart.

muffinsmommy

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 1:39 pm
Thank you for the replies! I'm aware that most people do leave the inner wrapping on, but I'm wondering if anyone ever ascertained that the plastic does not contain BPA or other heat-dangerous materials?

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 1:46 pm
If you are really that nervous , slit it open down the side carefully and wrap it tightly in alum foil then put in cholent

Cheiny

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 1:55 pm
muffinsmommy wrote:
I use the MealMart kishka; it comes vacuum-sealed in plastic, but after you remove the outer layer, it is still in a thin plastic layer. I've been told that the way most people use it is to put it directly in the cholent while still in the thin plastic layer. I tried calling the company to find out, but couldn't get through. Does anyone happen to know if it is safe (BPA-wise) to cook the kishka in the plastic layer?

It’s not healthy to cook your food for so many hours especially, in plastic. I’d remove it and wrap in foil.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 2:39 pm
Don't wrap it it foil!! The aluminum leaks out into the food! Cholent cooks for a very long time.
If you want to re-wrap, use parchment paper and twist the ends like a candy wrapper looks.

smileforamile

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 2:40 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Don't wrap it it foil!! The aluminum leaks out into the food! Cholent cooks for a very long time.
If you want to re-wrap, use parchment paper and twist the ends like a candy wrapper looks.

This

imasoftov

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 3:08 am
ra_mom wrote:

I do not believe "aluminum leaks" is anything more than crunchy pseudo-science but I would be concerned that foil might break up after hours and hours of cooking and it's unpleasant to get a piece of foil in your mouth. But I put kishke in chulent without wrapping it. Sometimes I make my own, and throw it raw on top of the chulent where it cooks just fine and does not break up, much more so if it's already cooked.

CHAYA R

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 9:40 am
Hi,

Dont put in foil! It is dangerous to cook this long in aluminium! I make my own and wrap it in baking paper. It doesnt fall apart. Hope this helps!

Learning

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 10:01 am
I read that aluminum trays also cause dementia. I always put parchment paper on aluminum trays on the bottom. Also once I covered a tray on the hot plate with aluminum gould and put a pot on top of it. Than I saw silver traces on the food that was covers with aluminum foil. The foil breaks and leaks to the food.

Simple1

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 11:29 am
I have that question about crock pot bags, wondering if they're safe.

Ridethewaves

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 11:54 am
muffinsmommy wrote:

We unwrap it fully, in melts slightly into chulent and we love the way it tastes!

Harried mama

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 2:32 pm
We buy a different brand which also comes wrapped in plastic, and we take it out of the plastic and wrap it in baking paper instead.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics