Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
How long did it take to get home in the snow yesterday?
Previous  1  2  3

mandr

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 12:20 pm
A lot of the problem is people driving with vehicles that are unequipped for the snow. Like your Honda Civic is not going to make it up highview so who were you fooling by driving last night? Even if I have great tires I still find this problem to make it impassable because of these stuck cars all over.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 12:27 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I wish I had that opportunity every time it snows. Yesterday a truck slowly slid down an incline right in front of me. I couldn't veer away fast enough. Luckily there were no cars in the opposing lane but what if that had been a school bus? It's really scary.

I don't always have that opportunity but I have just walked in many times and picked up my kids because I was nervous about the snow. Yesterday I kept an eye on the weather and my son was dismissed at 2:00. Had it been any later I would have gone and got him. Bh he was home at 2:45 just as it was starting.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 12:32 pm
mandr wrote:
A lot of the problem is people driving with vehicles that are unequipped for the snow. Like your Honda Civic is not going to make it up highview so who were you fooling by driving last night? Even if I have great tires I still find this problem to make it impassable because of these stuck cars all over.

Maybe.

But I saw cars get stuck on the ice on a major highway. I may not expect a Civic to navigate side streets in a foot of snow, but (a) we didn't get a foot of snow; and (b) major highways are not side streets.

And that was a big part of the problem. Unplowed lanes on major highways. Cars stuck and abandoned on those highways. The Deegan was impassible last night, and not much better this morning.

oakandfig19

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 12:35 pm
I'm just genuinely curious, not trying to be rude- I'm wondering why more people didn't leave early when this was forecasted? I'm not originally from NY so maybe I just have a different mentality. I'm just surprised by how many people got stuck when the weather forecast said it was starting after 6 ish.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 12:41 pm
oakandfig19 wrote:
I'm just genuinely curious, not trying to be rude- I'm wondering why more people didn't leave early when this was forecasted? I'm not originally from NY so maybe I just have a different mentality. I'm just surprised by how many people got stuck when the weather forecast said it was starting after 6 ish.

The people that left early got stuck longer than the people that didn't. My DH waited in his office until 8:00 and ended up getting to Monsey at the same time the people that left at 4:00. All they did was sit in the traffic.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 12:42 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
The people that left early got stuck longer than the people that didn't. My DH waited in his office until 8:00 and ended up getting to Monsey at the same time the people that left at 4:00. All they did was sit in the traffic.

Yup, that.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 12:43 pm
oakandfig19 wrote:

The 2:45 Monsey Trails bus from Manhattan got to Walgreens at the border of Monsey around 8:20. Leaving early did not help (for those that knew the weather forecast - I didn't know!)

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 12:49 pm
People left eatly but it got bad very fast and they got stuck

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 12:59 pm
oakandfig19 wrote:

A lot of people did leave early. People who left and hour or two earlier than I did got back maybe 20 minutes before I did. But also, the forecast was bad. Yesterday morning they were still saying just a couple of inches, and it would all get washed away in the rain. It wasn't until shortly before the snow actually started falling that the forecast suddenly changed. Usually this amount of snow here makes things annoying, but not a disaster. I still blame the officials in charge because even with the minor forecast, the roads should have been presalted.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 1:03 pm
DH cant just decide to leave early, he's not his own boss.

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:
A lot of people did leave early. People who left and hour or two earlier than I did got back maybe 20 minutes before I did. But also, the forecast was bad. Yesterday morning they were still saying just a couple of inches, and it would all get washed away in the rain. It wasn't until shortly before the snow actually started falling that the forecast suddenly changed. Usually this amount of snow here makes things annoying, but not a disaster. I still blame the officials in charge because even with the minor forecast, the roads should have been presalted.

This was the real issue, the forecast was nothing like the reality. I'm sure a lot of people would have stayed home or left earlier if they would have known what it was going to be like.

heidi

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 2:40 pm
I think my BIL wins. He left JFK after being delayed bcz of the snow, Thursday evening and had to land in Greece for shabbat. He's getting home to Israel late motzai shabbat. Longest commute home ever!

etky

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 4:17 pm
heidi wrote:
I think my BIL wins. He left JFK after being delayed bcz of the snow, Thursday evening and had to land in Greece for shabbat. He's getting home to Israel late motzai shabbat. Longest commute home ever!

Wow - he was on that flight?
It was on the news before Shabbat. How did it go for them in Athens? Did the local community help out? I read tonight that there was a riot on the plane when passengers found out that they would have to spend Shabbat in Athens.
There was another flight from NY, also delayed, that was supposed to land in Rome to avoid being mechalel shabbat. ElAl had already arranged hundreds of hotel rooms and kosher food but at the last minute they had to continue on to Tel Aviv because there was a very ill cancer patient on board whose doctors determined that her life would be endangered by the stopover for Shabbat.
The Chief Rabbi paskened that the flight could arrive after Shabbat came in and asked the rabbi at Ben Gurion to take care of arrangements for the passengers who would need to stay over for Shabbat at the airport.

Raisin

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 5:15 pm
Etky - I think passengers were angry that they would land in Israel after shabbos came in. So the plane landed in Athens, let off any shomer shabbos passengers, and other passengers carried onto Israel. (on another plane for some reason)

etky

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 5:38 pm
Raisin wrote:
Etky - I think passengers were angry that they would land in Israel after shabbos came in. So the plane landed in Athens, let off any shomer shabbos passengers, and other passengers carried onto Israel. (on another plane for some reason)

So according to the version that I read, the passengers were lied to by the pilot who reassured them that they would be landing at Ben Gurion a half hour or so before Shabbat. Only after several hours in the air were they informed about Athens. This upset both religious and non-religious passengers, some of whom then assaulted the flight crew and even threatened to storm the cockpit Rolling Eyes
Apparently, they had not been allowed to disembark in NY when, after over 3 hours on the ground (allegedly waiting for the cabin crew to make it to the airport) it became clear that the timing was becoming problematic in terms of Shabbat.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 12:50 am
heidi wrote:

No. We're taking about being stuck on the road. Not if your had a warm place to create while waiting out the storm or Shabbat etc. We're taking about literally being stuck on the roads.. no restroom, etc.
(Not that you're bil's story is not crazy. I don't wish it on anyone. But that's not what this is about.. being stuck on the road in the crazy weather barely moving/not moving at all, for hours)

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 1:38 am
For my hub it took 2 hrs to get from bp to willi. It can sometimes take 15 min. He left work 3 pm.

shanie5

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 10:52 pm
a 2.5 mile drive took me 1.25 hours-usually less than 10 minutes. DH has a 16 mile drive. Took him over 6 hours. SIL went from monsey to brooklyn-also over 6 hours.

I blame the weather, not the plows. I saw streets that had been plowed, but the snow came down so fast that the roads were disastrous for cars. and trucks.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 12:20 am
I heard from a friend that her coworkers had a 10 hour commute home that should have taken 45 minutes. and another that took 7-8 hours for 45 minutes.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics