Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
2 ingredient chocolate frosting-IT WORKS!

Teomima

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 2:36 pm
I never do this but I was so thrilled with this recipe I tried that I just had to share.

I found a recipe online for a 2 ingredient chocolate frosting: canned sweet potatoes and bittersweet chocolate. Well, they don't really have the former here in Israel so I just wrapped a large sweet potato in foil (to retain moisture) and stuck it into the oven till soft. Meanwhile I chopped up about 170gr of bittersweet chocolate and put it into a bowl. When the sweet potato was done I cut it open and spooned the hot filling into the chocolate and stirred it till the chocolate dissolved. I then ran through it with the immersion blender till it was a thick, creamy, dark brown frosting. Oh my! You'd NEVER guess there was sweet potato (I think I kinda tasted it, but that's only because I knew it was in there. None of my kids could guess the secret ingredient. All they tasted was chocolate.)

Totally aside from this working for anyone trying to sneak veggies into their kids' diets (which wasn't what I was aiming for), this is amazing as a parve way to make delicious thick creamy chocolate frosting that's parve, doesn't set hard in fridge nor melt at room temperature, that has no added fats or sugars (well, there's plenty of sugar in the chocolate, but you know what I mean), and that's even low-guilt when you sneak a few spoonfuls start your kids finally go to bed Whistling

mom4many

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 3:00 pm
Thanks for sharing! I wonder if I could cook the sweet potato in the microwave to save time.
Other than that it sounds perfect!
Also what are the proportions of the recipe?

Teomima

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 3:17 pm
mom4many wrote:
Thanks for sharing! I wonder if I could cook the sweet potato in the microwave to save time.

So this link is the source of the original recipe. I ignored proportions and just used what I had, which was one large potato (and I certainly don't see why you couldn't microwave it). I had two 100 gr bars of chocolate and started off with using only one but kept adding chocolate till I felt satisfied with the result (though I think I'd add less next time). With only two ingredients, exact proportions don't really matter anyway. Just add more of one or less of the other till you're happy, really.
https://food52.com/recipes/622.....-cake

milko

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 6:50 pm
I tried it. It's amazing!!

Teomima

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 8:47 pm
milko wrote:
I tried it. It's amazing!!

Yay! I can't believe I had never heard of this. It's so weird which is why I just had to try it, but now this is totally going to be my new go-to chocolate frosting.

livinginflatbus

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 9:16 pm
Thanks for sharing !

Frumwithallergies

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 9:49 pm
I'm totally going to try this. Thanks!

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 11:15 pm
Do you think it could be served by itself, like a chocolate pudding/ mousse?

cheerios

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 11:24 pm
Thanks for posting! I'd love to try this!

Teomima

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 1:37 am
MiracleMama wrote:

While I've definitely eaten this by the spoonful, I don't thing it would work on its own very well (though my daughter did ask me to serve it as a pie). It's very thick and creamy and really just tastes like a soft bar of chocolate.

Now that I'm thinking more about it, it actually might work as a major component in other desserts. I could see it being good served in a pie shell and topped with fresh strawberries, or in a shortbread crust with a thin layer of raspberry jelly on top.

But experiment away! I only just made this Friday so I've really not tried much with it.

Oooh, I wonder how it'd do as hamentaschen filing....hmm....

Sunny Days

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 11:06 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
There are recipes for cakes with sweet potato as main ingredient. I remember making one a couple of years ago. no clue though where recipe is. it had a very minimal amount of ingredients & was surprisingly delicious. I did not tell my husband the secret ingredient & (feinshmeker that he is) he wasn't able to figure it out.

goodmorning

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 11:41 pm
This is a great frosting. I find it hard to get the texture right (maybe because I use chocolate chips instead of chopping up a bar?) and usually add a few spoonfuls of hot water or coffee to help blend it smoothly. It's often still not perfectly smooth, but my kids don't seem to notice.

mother4

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 12:11 am
goodmorning wrote:
This is a great frosting. I find it hard to get the texture right (maybe because I use chocolate chips instead of chopping up a bar?) and usually add a few spoonfuls of hot water or coffee to help blend it smoothly. It's often still not perfectly smooth, but my kids don't seem to notice.

Never add any water to melted chocolate. It will destroy the texture

Teomima

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 11:38 am
So I followed my daughter's request and, with a few changes, made a successful pie. I used four medium-large sweet potatoes, about 400gr chocolate (best as I could estimate considering dh and the kids kept sneaking pieces), half bittersweet and half milk chocolate. Used an immersion blender again to get it really smooth. It was very thick. I poured it into a store bought graham cracker crust and refrigerated it overnight. The next day it was like a thick, creamy, fudgy mousse. Very good. I had more than enough for the pie. I tried freezing some (nicest when it's not yet frozen solid) and of course we all ate s some by the spoonful.

levlongnprosper

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 7:45 pm
mom4many wrote:

You absolutely can! I make my parve ice cream with sweet potatoes instead of banana sometimes, and I make a chocolate one (no recipe, just by taste), and microwaved works very well.

levlongnprosper

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 7:52 pm
goodmorning wrote:

Maybe try a little coconut oil or coconut milk (from a can) instead of the water. It helps to make the chocolate smooth.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 9:30 am
levlongnprosper wrote:
Maybe try a little coconut oil or coconut milk (from a can) instead of the water. It helps to make the chocolate smooth.

Cut screen name ;-D

professor

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 9:45 am
Wow thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics