Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Computer programmers - what laptop would you recommend?

smileforamile

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 4:11 pm
DH and I have one laptop at home, which we share. However, it's getting old and slowing down, and we really need a new one. We're probably only going to get one laptop.

For me, my primary concerns are lightweight/portable, quick Internet speeds, and good battery life. I don't need a ton of programs or a lot of memory. Most of my documents are stored on Google Drive, pictures and videos on Google Photos.

My husband, as I've written in other threads, wants to become a computer programmer. I'm assuming that for that kind of work and learning, he would need a more powerful laptop. He also likes to download and play computer games. Between programming and gaming, he would need a larger screen and more RAM.

Obviously, some of our needs are contradictory. If we would buy only one laptop, what would you recommend?

If we were going to buy two laptops, which one would you recommend for each of us, and why? (I'm much more cost-conscious for my laptop than his, since he would need a good one.)

ineedalamborghi

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 7:00 pm
For your husband, I would recommend a gaming laptop - something like this https://www.costco.com/Lenovo-.....html.

And for yourself - how about a chromebook?

mommybrr

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 8:50 pm
Lenovo thinkpad is top of the line but pricey.

spikta

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 9:15 pm
You don't need a particularly powerful computer for programming. Most programs you write are very light weight compared to heavy applications you'll normally run like computer games or microsoft word. If anything, he might consider getting a laptop with a Linux based operating system, rather than a Windows or Mac machine, but it's not critical. If gaming is important to him, optimize for that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains