Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Religious, not super common Israeli girl names
Previous  1  2

salt

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 2:54 am
etky wrote:
I would say not the most trendy name but not particularly dated either. I currently know a 23 year old and a 5 year old with the name. Not a grandma name at all in my book.

I agree. More modern is Odeya - slightly more unusual variation on Hodaya.

A few more options:
Avia
Shvut
Shuva
Eliya - also boy's name, but also used for a girl's name.
Tiferet.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 7:16 am
Yaffa (yaffi)
Yifat
Ora
Rut
Yael
Sarit
Rena
Elisheva
Efrat

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 8:51 am
I might be repeating some, but here's what comes to mind:

Eshdat
Achva
Or
Maayan
Hallel
Eliyah - I mostly know this as a boy's name but know a girl with it too.
Aviya
Tohar
Reut
Mevasseret

No idea if these are weird, old-ladyish, etc. I'm not really in Israeli culture to know what's normal. But these are the names of a few Israeli girls I know.

etky

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 9:11 am
amother wrote:
I might be repeating some, but here's what comes to mind:

Eshdat
Achva
Or
Maayan
Hallel
Eliyah - I mostly know this as a boy's name but know a girl with it too.
Aviya
Tohar
Reut
Mevasseret

No idea if these are weird, old-ladyish, etc. I'm not really in Israeli culture to know what's normal. But these are the names of a few Israeli girls I know.

None of these are old-ladyish IMO. They are all modern names (in usage at least). Some - like Ma'ayan, Reut and Aviyah are much more common than others.
I've heard of all except Eshdat.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 2:34 pm
Reishit
Shuvi Nafshi (usually just called Shuvi in the day to day) - I know three girls with this name and I love it.
Yaara
Nitzan
Hallelya
Hadar
Arava
Bat Ami

byisrael

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 2:39 pm
Shachar is more common verion of Shacharit
Eden
Tair
Linoy/Noy
Tzlil

I had a girl in my class named Ktoret - she hated it, don't be to creative

etky

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 3:13 pm
Am I the only one that dislikes the 'phrase names' like Shivat Tzion and Shuvi Nafshi?
They sound very contrived to me and not at all 'namelike' and are also quite a mouthful.
Truthfully I even have a hard time with more traditional ones like Ayelet Hashachar and Bat Tzion, but I guess my ear has gotten used to them.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 3:23 pm
A lot of the names suggested are not religious names, rather modern Israeli names used by the non religious too.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 3:33 pm
hodaya
halel
tehila
tefila
avgayl (NOT avigail)
anael

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 4:23 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Dd is Chedva.
There are 10 words for simcha brought down in the Avos d'rabi Nossan. Most would make beautiful names.

If I remember right,
Gila
Rina
Ditza
Chedva
Simcha
Aliza
Alissa
Alima

I forget the others.

Alima literally translates to violent, specifically a violent girl, though that's when spelled with an א. It may be an actual name when spelled with an ע (albeit a very rare one I've never heard of), but I would never name an Israeli girl Alima.

salt

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 1:23 am
amother wrote:
Alima literally translates to violent, specifically a violent girl, though that's when spelled with an א. It may be an actual name when spelled with an ע (albeit a very rare one I've never heard of), but I would never name an Israeli girl Alima.

Never heard of the name Alima - with an alef or an ayin. I agree it doesn't sound good.

The name Aluma is nice - with an alef - it means a sheaf (like in Yosef's dreams) or a beam of light.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 1:28 am
amother wrote:
I like Odelya but happened to read once on Facebook where this Israeli guy was listing "grandma names" and Odelya was on his list. Can Israelis give me input on whether this name is outdated?

Very outdated. Also maybe it's a Breslov name?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 1:39 am
amother wrote:
Very outdated. Also maybe it's a Breslov name?

We're dati-leumi and my grade school daughter has two friends in school named Odelya.

etky

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 2:28 am
Mustard is right - OP wants names with some sort of religious significance.
Many of the names that people are giving may be current and pretty but really miss the mark in that respect.

etky

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 2:31 am
salt wrote:
Never heard of the name Alima - with an alef or an ayin. I agree it doesn't sound good.

The name Aluma is nice - with an alef - it means a sheaf (like in Yosef's dreams) or a beam of light.

Never heard of it either.
OTOH DD17 has a classmate called Elina (stress on last syllable) which is a different, less common take on Eliana.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 2:59 am
etky wrote:
Never heard of it either.
OTOH DD17 has a classmate called Elina (stress on last syllable) which is a different, less common take on Eliana.

Elina/Eliana spelled אליאנה: G-d please (like asking, as a request, "please, G-d")
Eliana spelled אליענה: My G-d answered

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 3:34 am
Libi - not short for Liba, but a name in itself meaning 'my heart'.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 3:49 am
etky wrote:
Am I the only one that dislikes the 'phrase names' like Shivat Tzion and Shuvi Nafshi?
They sound very contrived to me and not at all 'namelike' and are also quite a mouthful.
Truthfully I even have a hard time with more traditional ones like Ayelet Hashachar and Bat Tzion, but I guess my ear has gotten used to them.

I agree. Also, there's nothing they can do with those first two names if they decide they'd rather have one name, but Ayelet Hashachar can just call herself Ayelet and Bat Tzion can pronounce it as one name becuase it's short and Bentzion is often a single name as well.

I suppose Shivat Tzion could become Tziyona, but it's easier if you go by a name that's actually on your documents rather than one that resembles.

There's a short film called Eicha, it's about a girl from Gush Etzion who was saddled with that name because she was born on Yom Kippur. The film begins with a seudah hamefseket including eggs in ashes and a birthday cake, which I suppose is intented to be parody as I hope no one would actually do that. During the meal the mother speaks to Eicha's siblings, who also have names that I wouldn't give a child.

ETA: found the opening scene with all the names, Nachala, Chevron, Yerushaim, and Shilo

It cuts off just as she gets to Misrad Hapnim to change her name.

OTOH I've always liked the name Maher Shalal Chash Baz.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names