Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Please help me find my niche....

hanna2010

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 7:26 pm
Hi! I’m asking for ideas and suggestions...
I’m middle aged and looking for a “career” change. I’ve been extremely successful in my previously creative occupation which included dealing extensively with children and adults. I don’t want to share more details regarding my previous occupation, right now.
I’m interested in very part time work, due to a personal health related issues that require time and energy for me to manage well.
I’m extremely knowledgeable about mental health, as I’ve had some children with issues as well as extended family, and my previous field exposed me to and helped me better understand children well. I’m often called on by family and friends for suggestions as to how to navigate the field and get their loved one help etc. I’m an extremely understanding and sympathetic person and many ppl gravitate to me because of this. I’m able to express feelings well and put people at ease. In addition, I’m extremely organized and responsible and I’ve assisted people with communication with dr and schools etc.

I’m just completing my BA and willing to do a small amount of additional schooling if neccessary. I have taken many core psych courses already.

I’ve been told by a therapist to start a peer support group but I’m having trouble figuring out how to do that..

Any suggestions on what kind of niche I can possibly fill in the frum world, without a formal degree?
I would like to make some money, of course, yet even more than that I would like to help people that are struggling.
I’ve becone more emboldened to help destigmatize mental health and share and support others. We’re all struggling in similar ways and having to do it alone makes the burden so much heavier.

ineedalamborghi

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 8:51 pm
How about working for one of the frum organizations that help with mental health - Relief, Chazkeinu, Refuat Hanefesh...

sub

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 9:24 pm
A coordinator for services seems to fit the bill
If you live in NY all you need is a BA
You can try a place like challenge or I noticed that organizations like cojo have openings
Hatzlocha rabba

BasMelech120

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 10:08 pm
If you are wanting to go in the direction of therapy, I'd suggest you get your full educational requirements covered. This will protect you in your work, as well as give you the proper knowledge of what it is like to conduct therapy.

If you need more specific help, it might be beneficial for you to set up a couple of sessions with a business coach, who can help you lay out all the options and help you figure out a route to get there. A business coach (depending on their licensure and specialty) can also work with you to explore the underlying emotions/wants/needs/fears/hopes/dreams associated with this career change, and this is something that can likely clarify some things for you.

If you'd like, I can recommend a great female business coach (in the NY area).
ETA: PM me for her contact info.

hanna2010

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 11:18 pm
Thank you for responses. Unfortunately I’m not on the east coast, and perhaps that’s why I feel my options are limited.

I do like the idea of coordinator of services. I would like to explore what that looks like, if I need to do extra training and of course, what my options are in terms of opportunity in my location.

Bas- melech... I’m unsure how a career coach would help me explore underlying reasons of my need to change career. I’ve done some good work on that with my therapist. I’m not opposed... simply trying to understand that. And in terms of conducting therapy... I’ve looked into my options for schooling for that and my biggest reason not to pursue is due to the cost involved, and chances that I ultimately won’t be working full time to make enough to justify the expense. Also my age... if I need to take classes at a more reasonable pace I’ll be About 50.

BasMelech120

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 11:25 pm
hanna2010 wrote:
Thank you for responses. Unfortunately I’m not on the east coast, and perhaps that’s why I feel my options are limited.

I do like the idea of coordinator of services. I would like to explore what that looks like, if I need to do extra training and of course, what my options are in terms of opportunity in my location.

Bas- melech... I’m unsure how a career coach would help me explore underlying reasons of my need to change career. I’ve done some good work on that with my therapist. I’m not opposed... simply trying to understand that. And in terms of conducting therapy... I’ve looked into my options for schooling for that and my biggest reason not to pursue is due to the cost involved, and chances that I ultimately won’t be working full time to make enough to justify the expense. Also my age... if I need to take classes at a more reasonable pace I’ll be About 50.

Ah, location can be a toughy when it comes to options available...

And certainly, therapy is a great place to bring up all the underlying 'stuff' around career change... Career/Business coaching would be more directly about helping you outline options, lay out the pros and cons, think about what your life might look like if you chose this career versus the other one, etc. Much of this can be covered in therapy, but traditional therapists are not as 'coachy' as a business coach. But of course, if you're feeling like you're getting all of this in therapy, or can do much of it on your own, then you likely don't need a business coach. I just thought I'd bring up the option Smile

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 1:43 am
How about you become a life coach. Maybe you can also do coaching over the phone. What about a school counselor for students with issues.

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 2:05 am
What about res hab? What about evaluator? How about screenings for headstart? Screen for issues in students in preschool or make home visitations? Like social worker? What about working in special ed school? Working with elderly population? Setting up senior care centers with crafts baking? Working in a hobby place?

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 2:06 am
Opening a daycare, or being a preschool principal? Heading after school program?

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 2:12 am
Giving courses in your creative field? Curriculum director for preschool? Any creative program that you can create for women's retreat? Any extra curricular activities or program for reg kids? Special needs kids? Or immuno suppressed kids that cant go to school? What about program director for camp or daycamp? Or with your talent going around to schools with music entertainment? Making puppet shows?.....hospital clown?

hanna2010

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 10:48 am
Dankbar... those are all wonderful ideas. I’ve thought through almost all of those already however because of my location and community needs, the only one that has a chance is the children’s extra curricular programming. I’ve been putting some thought into it.

I think I’m going to explore a posters previous suggestion of “coordinator for services”. I’m going to check out what kind of education is neccessary to do that well.

Thank you to all who took out the time to respond.

sub

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 1:20 pm
hanna2010 wrote:
Dankbar... those are all wonderful ideas. I’ve thought through almost all of those already however because of my location and community needs, the only one that has a chance is the children’s extra curricular programming. I’ve been putting some thought into it.

I think I’m going to explore a posters previous suggestion of “coordinator for services”. I’m going to check out what kind of education is neccessary to do that well.

Thank you to all who took out the time to respond.

You need a minimum of BA in psych and or health sevices on the east coast. Do you have Touro college in your area? They should be able to guide you
Hatzlocha rabba to you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics