Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
"Drinking the Kool-Aid"

Fox

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 6:50 pm
We use this expression quite a bit on Imamother and IRL to describe the blind acceptance of a set of facts or propaganda.

But most Imamothers are too young to remember where this expression comes from -- the mass murder/suicide of over 900 people in Jonestown, Guyana, in 1978. I was a teenager at the time, and the descriptions by those who arrived on the scene were truly the stuff of nightmares.

On the 40th anniversary of this event, it's worthwhile to recall the lives that were lost. This article is, IMHO, a particularly important eyewitness account:

Surviving Jonestown

ineedalamborghi

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 7:10 pm
Thank you!

From those of us that had no idea where that came from...

sequoia

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 7:41 pm
How distressing.

Lev Tahor is likely to end the same way.

Zehava

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 7:41 pm
On the 40th anniversary of the event let’s save our own brothers and sisters who are trapped in a cult much like that one and who are in mortal danger of mass suicide.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 7:42 pm
I've heard a lot about Jonestown over the years, but this personal account... Crying Thank you for sharing.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 7:53 pm
I remember Jonestown—no, not personally, BH—but didn’t know all those details. Thanks for posting.

crust

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 8:25 pm
sequoia wrote:
How distressing.

Lev Tahor is likely to end the same way.

Will we really be able to to say
ידינו לא שפכו את דם הזה

crust

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 8:36 pm
Zehava wrote:
On the 40th anniversary of the event let’s save our own brothers and sisters who are trapped in a cult much like that one and who are in mortal danger of mass suicide.

If he was talking about suicude then he might have the Kool Aid ready...

We don't want to hasten anyone's death ch"v. Its so complicated. How can we prevent history from repeating itself?

Last edited by crust on Sun, Nov 18 2018, 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

r1

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 8:41 pm
Omg I never knew this. How beyond horrible!

Zehava

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 9:01 pm
crust wrote:
If he was talking about suicude then he might have the Kool Aid ready...

We don't want to hasten anyone's death ch"v. Its so complicated. How can we prevent history from repeating itself?

We know they have guns and other weapons

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 9:15 pm
Zehava wrote:

They do?!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 9:16 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
They do?!

They attacked the would-be-rescuers with weapons.

crust

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 9:32 pm
Zehava wrote:

I can't think of a way to save these kids while these leaders are around. Maybe if ALL the adults are arrested before entering the cult it will be safe.

Last edited by crust on Mon, Nov 19 2018, 5:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 9:33 pm
Thank you for posting this. Very powerful. I had forgotten how horrific the Jonestown massacre was.

LisaS

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 3:47 am
Fox wrote:
We use this expression quite a bit on Imamother and IRL to describe the blind acceptance of a set of facts or propaganda.

But most Imamothers are too young to remember where this expression comes from -- the mass murder/suicide of over 900 people in Jonestown, Guyana, in 1978. I was a teenager at the time, and the descriptions by those who arrived on the scene were truly the stuff of nightmares.

On the 40th anniversary of this event, it's worthwhile to recall the lives that were lost. This article is, IMHO, a particularly important eyewitness account:

Surviving Jonestown

How absolutely horrible. I had never heard of this, and I don't think I'll ever be comfortable using that expression again. Thank you for educating me.

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 5:18 am
Just curious - those who use this expression and did not know about the massacre, what did you think it meant?

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 5:49 am
I knew about the massacre, but never linked the phrase.

I thought the phrase was implying being brainwashed by being fed something delicious and therefore dropping all critical bias.

Edit: I am disappointed that so few have donated to a cause raising money to save those trapped in a cult that seems to terrifyingly share many facets today... https://www.charidy.com/rescuethechildren (I have nothing to do with this organization, but with all the outcry I would have expected more than $10,000 to have been raised!)

gingertop

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 5:52 am
I knew about the massacre and knew that the phrase originated there but I assumed that people willingly drank the kool-aid in act of mass suicide. I didn't realize it was mass-murder not mass-suicide, as Jackie wrote.
What a horrific story.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 7:32 am
I knew not the number, c'v, but I knew the meaning.
Chas veshalom that Lev tahor should do this

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 7:38 am
gingertop wrote:
I knew about the massacre and knew that the phrase originated there but I assumed that people willingly drank the kool-aid in act of mass suicide. I didn't realize it was mass-murder not mass-suicide, as Jackie wrote.
What a horrific story.

It was described as a mass suicide in news reports. And no doubt some did drink it willingly.

Horrible.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics