Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is this hit and run? do I have to file police report?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 7:07 am
amother wrote:
Just thought of another really common one-how many times has someone posted here that she doesnt know what to do legally and financially because she wants to divorce her abusive husband, or she thinks he's going to divorce her-and EVERYONE who knows anything at all gives her all the legal/financial advice she needs. Seriously whats the big deal...

I see general advice like get copies of papers. Make sure you can support yourself. I don't see specific legal advice like someone already took the first wrong step and now needs a legal solution. When that happens, free resources and/ or effective resources are mentioned. I don't see lines crossed. But then again, I don't read every thread.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 7:20 am
amother wrote:
You don't have a right to ask someone to put their license in jeopardy. You also misunderstand the licensing of professions. Actually a physical therapist cannot legally give legal advice.

Actually, the truth is anyone has a right but lawyers should know to say no bec after all, she is a lawyer. Regardless, I didnt ask any lawyer to advise me. U are saying that me posting this is equivalent to me asking a lawyer to put her license in jeopardy. Well, I disagree.

I disagree bec a lot of no lawyers know laws based on life experiences. But, since u believe lawyers are superior, u will disagree. That's okay.

I also have a question why does it bother u that I posted here? Why is it your business what I or others do here?? Dont tell me u are trying. To "protect" lawyers. Shouldn't lawyers know their rights??? What stuck out to me here is u said I said I wasn't going to pay. So, it seems that u are mad if I get advice here for free. Well, again wat I post here is my choice and not ur business.

ILOVELIFE

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 7:23 am
I am in NYS.

Seen this practice v often and within my family nobody has ever been told it’s a hit n run. No clue how bad the damage was in this case but I don’t think it can or should be classified that way if the driver left contact.

As an aside, there are many many lawyers who will do a pro bono consult to just assess if this is a case

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 7:31 am
amother wrote:
Because your post was so kind and helpful? Ok. Got any of your own mirrors?

Yes, it was helpful to me, the op. I'm the one who posted and ppl here are not only not giving advice but being critical. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but wat I post here is none of their business. And, if they disagree, I still have a right to post here.

Also, this is a Jewish frum site, and others are posting mean posts. So, they are violating the "license" of being a frum jew which is treat everyone how u would want to be treated and don't criticize unless u are coming from a loving place etc...

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 7:53 am
amother wrote:
Actually, the truth is anyone has a right but lawyers should know to say no bec after all, she is a lawyer. Regardless, I didnt ask any lawyer to advise me. U are saying that me posting this is equivalent to me asking a lawyer to put her license in jeopardy. Well, I disagree.

I disagree bec a lot of no lawyers know laws based on life experiences. But, since u believe lawyers are superior, u will disagree. That's okay.

I also have a question why does it bother u that I posted here? Why is it your business what I or others do here?? Dont tell me u are trying. To "protect" lawyers. Shouldn't lawyers know their rights??? What stuck out to me here is u said I said I wasn't going to pay. So, it seems that u are mad if I get advice here for free. Well, again wat I post here is my choice and not ur business.

I realize you are sort of clueless about how things work. I don't mean this in a mean way at all. It took me about 30 seconds to sort out the legal issue.

I keep trying to tell you that it is often the way you ask for something that determines the results you get. If you had been nicer, perhaps someone would have done this for you pro bono (free). You should ask and not demand. Saying you won't pay an attorney is demanding. Saying you are entiled to the information because others get different information is childish.

I don't have a problem with free as you seem to think. But free is not demanded. It is asked for. You also should write like a grownup. Your text speak is distasteful.

I have done a lot of pro bono work when I was practicing. I also give a lot of tzedukah and do a lot of chessed. I would never do a favor for someone who came in and said they won't pay for an attorney especially one who then denigrates the legal and medical professions and demands answers.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 8:14 am
Magenta, get a grip. Seriously. You've said your piece (like a thousand times) so you can move on now.

OP, I remember learning in a defensive driving course that you have to leave written notice if you hit a parked car and don't know the owner of the vehicle. You have to make a reasonable effort to get in contact. (Which obviously your son did because they DID get in contact with you)

So I don't think the hit and run accusation holds much water. I'm not an attorney, but I've lived in NYC for years and that's how hitting a parked vehicle has always been handled- by leaving a note.

Hope that's helpful.

asmileaday

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 9:26 am
http://www.esachslaw.com/new-y.....laws/

Seems like if he left contact information (which is normal procedure) then he did everything right.

Magenta you are overreacting to her "he won't pay a lawyer comment". Perhaps she didn't phrase that statement nicely but your rant about free advice on a free advice giving website is uncalled for. Stop it already.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics