Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Itchy Spots all over child’s bottom

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 8:58 pm
My daughter has about 20 itchy spots all over her buttocks and private parts. They are not insect bites! There is no fever or other symptoms and we have no idea what is causing this. She’s up all night in pain.
Does anyone have any experience with this? The doctor didn’t have answers and while I can apply a cortisone cream, I’m very curious as to what may be the root of the problem. She’s had them for a few days and each day there are more and they are bigger/redder.

gamanit

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 9:03 pm
What do they look like? It can be so many different things from fungal infection, to bacterial inflammation to allergic reaction. Did your doctor see them in person?

NovelConcept

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 9:11 pm
Please, please, if you really care about your daughter's health, do NOT apply cortisone. There are three areas of the body that cannot handle steroids and (it says so in the package insert of most steroids, in case you don't believe me): the face, the groin and the armpits.

She can develop an extremely painful rash that not only destroys the skin but also the nerves, as well as causing a host of other problems.

Steroids are can be a helpful drug, when used correctly.

It is NOT safe to use steroids on a child's rear end.

NovelConcept

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 9:18 pm
Speaking of which... DID you apply cortisone there any time in the past?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 9:24 pm
NovelConcept wrote:
Speaking of which... DID you apply cortisone there any time in the past?

No I haven’t yet applied cortisone (thankfully!). I only spoke to dr on the phone because I wasn’t able to bring her in today.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 9:26 pm
What does it look like? My dd had round red outer circle white inner was very itchy...ended up being allergic reaction to a medication she just finished.

NovelConcept

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 9:29 pm
Baruch Hashem. I know of a woman who was told by her doctor to use hydrocortisone for a diaper rash... two months down the line when it kept coming back and the 1% no longer worked, doctor bumped her up to 2.5%...

It took the poor baby a year to heal from the damage she sustained from bad medical training.

I don't know what is causing the rash you are seeing, but I desperately do not want your sweet child to develop another condition on top of it!

Also, very important: Be wary of any "natural" creams; many of them contain unlabeled steroids and cause the same damage... (usually worse, because the companies that sneak in unlabeled steroids usually put in super-potent ones to make sure that they will be effective for EVERYONE. Doctors, at least, usually wrongfully RX the lower potencies first, before working their way up to higher ones.)

You can use a zinc-based cream, like Balmex to give a little comfort until you get a diagnosis. Benadryl to relieve the itch may help as well.

Wishing your child a refuah shelimah!

Last edited by NovelConcept on Mon, Nov 19 2018, 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 9:30 pm
amother wrote:
What does it look like? My dd had round red outer circle white inner was very itchy...ended up being allergic reaction to a medication she just finished.

It looks like what you’re describing but she hasn’t had any meds or new foods etc.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 11:36 pm
amother wrote:
It looks like what you’re describing but she hasn’t had any meds or new foods etc.

An allergy could develop, even though in the past there wasn't one.

Or maybe molluscum?

Eta. You can try benadryl and see if it improves

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 11:42 pm
perianal strep or yeast

momof2+?

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 7:37 pm
Molluscum starts as tiny dots and grows over time (weeks). It then turns red and irritated. Looks like this:
https://upload.medbullets.com/.....m.jpg

It is not necessarily itchy, but can be.
Edited to add: each dot has a little indentation in the middle, kinda like a donut.

gamanit

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 7:50 pm
Did you get a chance to go to the doctor? It can also be ringworm which is fungal. Ringworm can be gotten rid of using either creams or athlete's foot spray.

oneofakind

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 9:48 pm
I'm surprised the doctor prescribed over the phone. sounds like it needs to be looked at.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics