Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Deodorant Dilemma

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 2:59 pm
I have some family members staying with me for a week and one or more of them appears to be using an excessive amount of deodorant because my house smells strongly of it even when they’re not here. The strong smells are hard for me to handle. BH I’m not pregnant and nauseous from it, but I just find it unpleasant. None of them have any body odor issues that I’ve ever noticed before - I just think they are in the habit of spraying a lot of deodorant.

Is there any way I can sensitively ask them to use less, or do I just have to deal with it while they are here? I don’t know who the main “culprit” is.

(Yes, this problem is much better than if they didn’t use deodorant at all!)

Cheiny

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
I have some family members staying with me for a week and one or more of them appears to be using an excessive amount of deodorant because my house smells strongly of it even when they’re not here. The strong smells are hard for me to handle. BH I’m not pregnant and nauseous from it, but I just find it unpleasant. None of them have any body odor issues that I’ve ever noticed before - I just think they are in the habit of spraying a lot of deodorant.

Is there any way I can sensitively ask them to use less, or do I just have to deal with it while they are here? I don’t know who the main “culprit” is.

(Yes, this problem is much better than if they didn’t use deodorant at all!)

Buy a can of UNscented, ask them to use it during their stay as you are sensitive to certain perfume smells. Nothing insulting about that.

lucky14

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 3:10 pm
I think it's very likely you'll end up hurting their feelings. I'd just deal with it if I were you unless there was some medical reason for you to say something to them.

myself

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 3:15 pm
How long will they be staying?

oneofakind

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 3:27 pm
Keep some windows open and if they ask, say, I'm very sensitive to odors. It makes me feel... and I'd also leave some unscented deodorant in the guest room/bathroom together with soap, shampoo etc.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 3:38 pm
It's better than having a week-long house guest who doesn't wear *enough* deodorant.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 3:40 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Keep some windows open and if they ask, say, I'm very sensitive to odors. It makes me feel... and I'd also leave some unscented deodorant in the guest room/bathroom together with soap, shampoo etc.

THIS. I find the best way to handle it is to blame yourself. Say "I am sensitive to chemicals, I'm really sorry." instead of "Your cologne, deodorant, soap is making me sick!"

I was in a position once where I had been invited out to a Shabbos meal, and a woman at the table practically bathed in patchouli. I'm sure she thought that since it was a pure essential oil, that it couldn't possibly trigger allergies or migraines.

I tried moving my seat near an open window, but to no avail. The migraine had already set in, and threatened to be a doozy. I apologized to my hosts and to the woman with the perfume, blamed it on my sensitivity, and assured everyone that I would be fine. It was no one's fault, and they shouldn't feel bad.

I went home, took some meds, and ate a sandwich. Everything worked out well, with no hard feelings.

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 4:03 pm
I'm fine with deodorant, but if someone is wearing perfume it gives me a headache. I have this issue with my cleaning lady - she very occasionally comes wearing perfume. If she did it always I would definitely mention something.

The other day I had to move seats on a bus because a woman sat next to me with heavy perfume.

Definitely blame it on your sensitive nose/head. Say too much perfume gives you a headache so do they mind using less or an unscented type?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 5:43 pm
I find it very hard to find unscented spray, as an aside.

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 6:01 pm
I had 5 (!) family members staying for a week who didn’t use deodorant. Saying anything wasn’t an option so...just grin and bear it. It can’t be worse than the smell I had to endure!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 6:25 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I find it very hard to find unscented spray, as an aside.

Sure unscented is the one that can be found reliably.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sur.....17258

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 9:42 pm
Don’t say anything... just open some windows

Emotional

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 10:24 pm
Right Guard is also available unscented

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 4:10 am
Since we're talking about unscented deoderants, does anyone know a brand easy to find in Israel? Some males living in my house would use more of it if it didn't have a perfume odor. Even the stuff made for men says things like "cool breeze"

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:34 am
Tom's of Maine has unscented and very lightly scented deodorant. Not a spray, but a stick type.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics