Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Question for mothers of Lakewood high school girls
  Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13 17  18  19  Next

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 10:31 pm
Bumping this up.

I heard rumors about Bnos Brocha opening a high school, and even Bnos Devorah but I dont know which year.

Anyone has more information?

Also, is any school known for its warmth?
ETA: I mean any of the existing old schools.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 11:25 pm
Bnos Devorah is not opening one for this coming year

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 8:54 am
I heard Bnos Brocha will be opening a high school for next year Iyh

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:29 am
amother wrote:
Bumping this up.

I heard rumors about Bnos Brocha opening a high school, and even Bnos Devorah but I dont know which year.

Anyone has more information?

Also, is any school known for its warmth?
ETA: I mean any of the existing old schools.

I don't think it's a rumor anymore, but a fact. I heard that 8th grade parents in Bnos Bracha received a letter about them opening a high school.

I heard that similar to the way Shiras Devorah is affiliated with Bais Tova, it will be affiliated with Bnos Bracha but open to applicants of other schools as well.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 10:21 am
Is there a school with very warm people in charge? Maybe chasidim but not a chasidishe school, or an "older generation" menahalim?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 10:23 am
BK is very warm, but not at all Chassidish.

ETA: Just curious why you would think that Chassidim in charge would make a school a warmer place. There are cold Chassidim (my pre-school chassidish teacher comes to mind - coldest fish I can think of, to my then-five-year-old brain) and warm non-Chassidim. Just saying.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 2:18 pm
Chayalle, in my limited personal experience I came across quite a few warm and personable people such as my kids morahs and teachers who happen to be chassidish (that isn't to say that they didn't have nice litvish teachers). I hail from a different jewish "group" altogether but this coincidence or tendency def grabbed my attention. Maybe my personality and cultural bg just clicked with them, dunno.
I'm sorry about your childhood experience, and efinitely not looking for such cold people. I asked specifically if there's a *warm* school with chasidim in charge Smile

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
Chayalle, in my limited personal experience I came across quite a few warm and personable people such as my kids morahs and teachers who happen to be chassidish (that isn't to say that they didn't have nice litvish teachers). I hail from a different jewish "group" altogether but this coincidence or tendency def grabbed my attention. Maybe my personality and cultural bg just clicked with them, dunno.
I'm sorry about your childhood experience, and efinitely not looking for such cold people. I asked specifically if there's a *warm* school with chasidim in charge Smile

I don't think there are any Litvishe schools with Chassidim in charge Smile.

There are some Chassidish schools in town. I have a close friend whose daughters go to Ateres Yisroel, and I believe it's a small, warm school - but definitely Chassidish. I think Bais Leah is the only other Chassidish high school in Lakewood, and I don't know much about it other than that it's quite academic (from a friend who teaches there.)

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Dec 26 2018, 12:41 am
amother wrote:
I heard Bnos Brocha will be opening a high school for next year Iyh

Is there any information about the new school yet?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:00 pm
What’s “chedvas bais Yaakov”?
It’s listed on the notice we got from vaad (?).

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 8:10 pm
It’s Bnos Brocha’s new high school. That’s all I know.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:16 pm
amother wrote:
What’s “chedvas bais Yaakov”?
It’s listed on the notice we got from vaad (?).

Which notice? We didn't get anything.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:22 pm
I did not get a letter either

Chayalle

Post Fri, Feb 08 2019, 12:43 pm
I saw a notice advertised, don't remember if it was BP Graphics or The Voice.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Feb 08 2019, 1:19 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Which notice? We didn't get anything.

A letter came in the mail with
—date and time of exam,
—a list of schools one has to apply to, min 4 from the list ( or else if you don’t get accepted vaad won’t help you);
—rule that if your elementary school is associated with a hs, you must apply there (or else vaad won’t help you),
—and a weird point that schools will work to place you, and you may be accepted to a school where you didn’t apply to.

Some of it sounds like communist Russia to me; there too you had to apply to your local school and had no choice in the matter... what’s that nonsense about having to apply to affiliated hs? What if someone has very good reasons not to want to be there?..

groisamomma

Post Fri, Feb 08 2019, 1:46 pm
amother wrote:
—date and time of exam,
—a list of schools one has to apply to, min 4 from the list ( or else if you don’t get accepted vaad won’t help you);
—rule that if your elementary school is associated with a hs, you must apply there (or else vaad won’t help you),
—and a weird point that schools will work to place you, and you may be accepted to a school where you didn’t apply to.

Some of it sounds like communist Russia to me; there too you had to apply to your local school and had no choice in the matter... what’s that nonsense about having to apply to affiliated hs? What if someone has very good reasons not to want to be there?..

Would you be comfortable sending me that via email or PM? I didn't get that letter.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Feb 08 2019, 3:33 pm
amother wrote:
—date and time of exam,

Couldn't agree more!! I got the letter today too! So basically the vaad is going to decide my daughter's future??? A [crazy] system if u ask me? Y can't each parent apply where they think it's a good fit for their daughter? Y 4 schools?? The system is seriously not normal! Maybe if Bais faiga with 10 classes of their own would open a bank it would help this messed up situation!

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Feb 09 2019, 6:55 pm
It’s not the vaad deciding it’s the school deciding and blooming it on the vaad. So basically if your child’s school likes you they will help you get into a good school and if they don’t like you for any reason they won’t help your child. It’s very messed up and I hope everyone has some sort of pull bec this is crazy. I got the letter yesterday but I didn’t even read it yet.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 6:59 pm
I just read it. It made my stomach drop. For people like me with no pull, no extra money to toss to the wind, and my dd being the oldest, the only thing I can do is daven. I'm sure He has a plan for her!

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 7:02 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I just read it. It made my stomach drop. For people like me with no pull, no extra money to toss to the wind, and my dd being the oldest, the only thing I can do is daven. I'm sure He has a plan for her!

I'm with u groisamomma! We have no pull, money or connections either! And DD is my oldest too!! My only hishtadlus is davening:) hatzlocha to you!!
Page 12 of 19   Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13 17  18  19  Next Recent Topics