Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Joint seminary application

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:59 am
This application is used for a few specific seminaries
They’re asking for lots of personal family medical information as well as applicants health history. Can some explain why they would need this info before the girls are accepted to seminary?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 12:02 pm
amother wrote:
This application is used for a few specific seminaries
They’re asking for lots of personal family medical information as well as applicants health history. Can some explain why they would need this info before the girls are accepted to seminary?

I would guess they want to know if a girl has a medical condition that would make seminary/dorm life not work for her, or be more than the seminary could accommodate.

I remember when my daughter was in seminary (local) there was a student who was prone to panic attacks. Several seminary outings were disrupted because of this, after which the seminary explained to the student and her family that they could not accommodate her needs on outings anymore.

If this would take place overseas, it would probably be even more complicated.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 12:44 pm
Thanks.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:08 pm
I'd leave out family health. None of their business.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:38 pm
oneofakind wrote:
I'd leave out family health. None of their business.

I agree, and that’s what I told DD to do.

Cookiegirl

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:46 pm
Rather than leaving it blank or oversharing, I would respond (if true) that there are no known medical issues that would impact on her ability to attend and participate in classes and activities overseas.

If there is an issue, I would suggest something along the lines of "We have taken our daughter's personal medical situation into consideration when deciding to apply to seminary overseas, and we would be happy to discuss the relevant information with you directly upon receipt of a conditional acceptance, so all parties can be confident that the school is equipped to handle her needs."

Presumably, if there is an issue, her high school principal would already be aware, and could speak on behalf of the student as to how the school was impacted, if at all. The principals get involved in most applications one way or another anyway.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 3:28 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
Rather than leaving it blank or oversharing, I would respond (if true) that there are no known medical issues that would impact on her ability to attend and participate in classes and activities overseas.

If there is an issue, I would suggest something along the lines of "We have taken our daughter's personal medical situation into consideration when deciding to apply to seminary overseas, and we would be happy to discuss the relevant information with you directly upon receipt of a conditional acceptance, so all parties can be confident that the school is equipped to handle her needs."

Presumably, if there is an issue, her high school principal would already be aware, and could speak on behalf of the student as to how the school was impacted, if at all. The principals get involved in most applications one way or another anyway.

Hatzlacha!

Sounds lovely. Be prepared, though, with very competitive seminaries, for them to look at that and decide to wait list her in favor of less-complicated girls. Sometimes it helps to actually name what it is, if it's the type of thing that is know to be routinely maintainable; sometimes not.

We aswered like the one above. They asked for more to complete the application. We answered and included a doctor's letter saying she was good to go, and they still said no. And yes, they told us that was why. Apparently they had a few experiences where stable became unstable in the face of a new routine, foreign country and foreign medical system, and they didn't want to take the risk.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics