Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Questions to low carb/high protein dieters
1  2  Next

Cheiny

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:38 pm
I started this diet several months ago and am doing pretty well b”H. First question is, can you eat as much protein as you want if you’re still not satisfied after a substantial meal? Example: for breakfast, I had tuna, lox and a big salad but felt like I wanted more after. So I made 2 eggs. Is that too much food/calories? I normally do not eat any white carbs, and very very little whole wheat carbs either. I focus on proteins, fruits, vegetables.
Second question: is it normal to not see any weight loss for a few weeks and the suddenly see a 4-lb drop? This gets frustrating for me, when I don’t see any weight loss for weeks at a time, and sometimes even see a 1-2 lb. gain (!)... I’m also doing close to an hour exercise usually every day except Shabbat. Struggling with thyroid issue too...
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:56 pm
With thyroid issues it's very difficult or sometimes impossible to lose weight till thyroid issues are resolved.

I follow often an atkins style diet, where they tell you to have at least 30 grams of protein per meal, yet less than 10 g of carbs per meal. Fruits & veg also have carbs. You have to check each one how many carbs it has.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 10:18 pm
Eat more fat, if you are not sated. Fat is NOT bad.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 10:20 pm
Also, carbs get you an insulin response, no matter what they are from. The lower you go with carbs, the less hungry you'll be. I don't eat any form of sugar or sweetener, grains or starch or even fruit. I am rarely hungry. My blood sugar is stable. Never hangry. I eat until I am sated and I can TELL when I have had enough. Its an incredible miracle.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 10:21 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Eat more fat, if you are not sated. Fat is NOT bad.

Only if you’re not adding junk food fats.
Op, maybe a high protein diet isn’t right for you.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 10:35 pm
amother wrote:

Lol. I had various high fat cheeses for lunch, home made mayo (which was made with my own hand made mustard, evoo and egg yolks) and heavy cream in my coffees today. For dinner I had a half a marrow bone, 2 italian sausages and a bite of rib steak including some visible fat. My diet includes ZERO junk food and almost zero carbs.

Carbs are the devil, not fat. If she removes the carbs, she won't be hungry. It might take a fw days to adapt but high proteing AND high carb is going to give an insulin response. Insulin is a guaranteed way to get fat.Thats why so many diabetics become fat when they start insulin.

No insulin response, less hunger. Period. Fat does not beget an insulin response, it is satiating. Not garbage processed fat. Real food fat.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 10:40 pm
I should also add that I am maintaining on average an 80 pound weight loss. I am five two. I have been doing this WITHOUT eating off plan for 20 months. CONTINUOUSLY. I am not diabetic any longer. No more retinopathy. Blood pressure? normal. Blood sugar? Normal. I no longer need my pee pills to control accidents. I no longer need Anti depressants. I no longer have arthritic pain constantly. My back doesnt hurt. My eating is no longer disordered. My dietician is thrilled and fully endorses my way of eating. As do my other doctors, including my neurologist. I am not making this up.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 10:42 pm
amother wrote:

If you read anything I wrote, this is actually a hilarious response.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 10:50 pm
Also:
-Husband: Lost 60 pounds and maintaining for a year
-Autism Spectrum Son who used to stim constantly about food: On less drugs, lost about 60 pounds, and maintaining for a year. Used to be a size 50 pant, now a 44. less anxious, ADHD type symptoms improved drastically, Tics reduced by 95%
-Mother: Lost 65 pounds and maintaining (and she cheats a mouthful here and there) a year already
-Daughter: Lost 15 pounds, looks like a fashion model but really, it was to help her ADD symptoms because of her very difficult university programme. way less anxiety.
- Father has been struggling with losing more weight for YEARS although he was already maintaining. He is keeping to fifty grams of carb a day and he is under 170 from 185 for the first time in years.

This is JUST my immediate family.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:16 pm
andrea levy wrote:
If you read anything I wrote, this is actually a hilarious response.

Why are you getting so worked up and a tad nasty?
I agree high fat is healthy. But only if you’re eat the right fats.
Not if you’re eating tons of healthy fat, and in addition you eat cake (unhealthy fat), processed chocolate (unhealthy fat), ice cream (unhealthy fat), etc.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jan 01 2019, 11:19 pm
amother wrote:
Not if you’re eating tons of healthy fat, and in addition you eat cake (unhealthy fat), processed chocolate (unhealthy fat), ice cream (unhealthy fat), etc.

All of those are high carb - that's the issue.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 12:37 am
amother wrote:

How am I being nasty? I thought it was funny! I eat almost zero processed food! I don’t eat at of that, as I said. That’s why your response was funny! But in fact it’s not the fat that’s bad in junk food, it’s the sugar and grains. Not that I eat cake or other junk.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 12:53 am
It wasn't a response to you- it was an addendum to your post.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 8:28 am
I don’t understand. In the mean time, try to be Dan zekef Zechut. Clearly you guys have things in common about what we think.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 8:40 am
Andrea, you continue to be an inspiration, and I am so happy for all your results!

I'm only about 10 "vanity" pounds overweight, but when I eat carbs I feel like I've been run over by a truck. Pasta is the devil, even though I love the taste. I'm slowly teaching my taste buds to like substitutions. If I'm going to have pasta, now I at least make it soba noodles - they have a richer flavor and are more filling, with tons of nutrients.

For fats, I eat avocados every chance I can when they are in season. If I can't find them, I'll eat high fat goat or sheep cheeses, or at the very least a large tablespoon of cream cheese.

A small portion of high fat can keep me satisfied for much longer that "carb fats" or processed fats. I could eat a pint of ice cream and still be hungry, but a slice of rich brie will keep my happy for hours.

I also love making gravy with the fats from cooking meat. Soooo goood!

BTW, if the keto diet gives you bad breath, eat mint leaves and celery leaves. Chlorophyll supplements work really well, too.

Orchid

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:27 am
Andrea, I love your posts!

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:23 am
Cheiny wrote:
I started this diet several months ago and am doing pretty well b”H. First question is, can you eat as much protein as you want if you’re still not satisfied after a substantial meal? Example: for breakfast, I had tuna, lox and a big salad but felt like I wanted more after. So I made 2 eggs. Is that too much food/calories? I normally do not eat any white carbs, and very very little whole wheat carbs either. I focus on proteins, fruits, vegetables.
Second question: is it normal to not see any weight loss for a few weeks and the suddenly see a 4-lb drop? This gets frustrating for me, when I don’t see any weight loss for weeks at a time, and sometimes even see a 1-2 lb. gain (!)... I’m also doing close to an hour exercise usually every day except Shabbat. Struggling with thyroid issue too...
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

Read this:
http://www.forefronthealth.com.....gers/

dankbar

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:32 am
Andrea I'm so impressed how you got your whole family to lose the weight! It's one thing to lose yourself but yet another to inspire & motivate others, as wel!l

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 11:49 am
Make sure to drink a ton of water. That's really a huge piece of high protein/low carb diets.

renslet

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 1:13 pm
So I'm really trying very low carb but I'm getting so constipated, what solutions are there. I drink a ton of water.
Also I find snacks the hardest, what ideas do you have
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise