Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
We're giving in... information wanted!

DVOM

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 9:47 am
From the time my boys were born, we have had a very limited screen policy in our home. My husband has ADHD and has read a lot of the research on what screen based activities do to the developing brain. We always felt that art, building, running around outside, pretend play were better uses of our kids time. Of course, there have always been exceptions. We will allow a movie occasionally, but have really keep a careful cap on how often this happens. I'd estimate around 5 times a year. We have no gaming systems, no nothing. On a rare occasion we will allow a kid to help us look up what they want to order for a birthday present on Amazon. But that's it.

This is about to change! My oldest, age 10, has been petitioning for some sort of gaming system for the past year. He's a great kid, trustworthy and responsible. Most, if not all, of his friends have multiple game systems in their home. They are also allowed to watch a lot more TV, sports, and movies than the very minimal we allow. My husband and I have talked and talked about it, and we don't feel like we can put him off any longer. We've talked to our son about the limits we would put on the system (no school nights, limiting the amount of time used, stuff like that.) He generally respects the limits we put in place in other areas of our family life, and trust he will be able to do the same here.

So now we're trying to find the best gaming system to meet our needs. It seems like there are just soooo many of them! Are any of you guys gamers? We need help choosing a system, and the descriptions of the different products seem to be written in Chinese. We'd like to spend around 100-200 dollars and have a device that does not have internet access or can have the internet access blocked. Are there any benefits to having a portable, hand held system, or would a system that hooks up to a TV monitor be better? I'd like to buy a 'cool' system. If we're buying one already, it might as well be a good one that has street cred for our kid. Any ideas?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 9:57 am
We have a ps4 and my son loves it but firstly there are probably newer ones on the market and secondly it was more than $200.

While I agree that you should let your son play if that’s what all his friends are doing, just a friendly warning that most of his friends likely don’t have that many rules as I’ve seen with my son’s friends. I let him play for a limited time every day including school nights, but his friends seem to have unlimited time to play. So I’m always down his back about keeping to the limit.

professor

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 9:57 am
My kids have Nintendo switch and the love splatoon 2. It has a feature for parents to limit hours etc. and to check what they do with it.

simcha2

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:01 am
There is a huge sale on the ps4 spiderman edition right now. ($199 including the spiderman game), it's from Sony and so at lots of retailers (Walmart, target, best buy, gamestop etc). It would normally be nearly double that.

Ds is petitioning for it very hard (he doesn't know I picked it up on Tuesday and it's hiding in my closet until his birthday...shhhh).

elisheva25

Kids have both PS4 and Nintendo Switch.
PS4 is better, you hook it up to a monitor.... so they play on a larger screen. You do have to supervise what they do.

professor

amother wrote:
We have a ps4 and my son loves it but firstly there are probably newer ones on the market and secondly it was more than $200.

While I agree that you should let your son play if that’s what all his friends are doing, just a friendly warning that most of his friends likely don’t have that many rules as I’ve seen with my son’s friends. I let him play for a limited time every day including school nights, but his friends seem to have unlimited time to play. So I’m always down his back about keeping to the limit.

I'm also always limiting much more than friends unfortunately. It became so bad that he now goes to friends house right after school to use HIS switch! He knows I won't let him play on his own >Sad I am afraid I'm losing control and my kids would become couch potatoes chas veshalom

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:02 am
professor wrote:
I'm also always limiting much more than friends unfortunately. It became so bad that he now goes to friends house right after school to use HIS switch! He knows I won't let him play on his own >Sad I am afraid I'm losing control and my kids would become couch potatoes chas veshalom

It’s tough in the winter when they can’t play outside.

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:56 am
We just gave in too and got the ps4. Ordered for online pickup a Best Buy. Using parental filters you can block access to the internet browser but the system does need to be connected to the internet.

You will need a newish tv or monitor. You can hook up to a laptop and access through the remote option but then the parental controls won’t work.

Ours is set to limit the time each night and automatically shut off at a certain time.

Games can be taken out of our library so we’ve already discusses only purchasing one or two.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:58 am
DVOM wrote:
From the time my boys were born, we have had a very limited screen policy in our home. My husband has ADHD and has read a lot of the research on what screen based activities do to the developing brain. We always felt that art, building, running around outside, pretend play were better uses of our kids time. Of course, there have always been exceptions. We will allow a movie occasionally, but have really keep a careful cap on how often this happens. I'd estimate around 5 times a year. We have no gaming systems, no nothing. On a rare occasion we will allow a kid to help us look up what they want to order for a birthday present on Amazon. But that's it.

This is about to change! My oldest, age 10, has been petitioning for some sort of gaming system for the past year. He's a great kid, trustworthy and responsible. Most, if not all, of his friends have multiple game systems in their home. They are also allowed to watch a lot more TV, sports, and movies than the very minimal we allow. My husband and I have talked and talked about it, and we don't feel like we can put him off any longer. We've talked to our son about the limits we would put on the system (no school nights, limiting the amount of time used, stuff like that.) He generally respects the limits we put in place in other areas of our family life, and trust he will be able to do the same here.

So now we're trying to find the best gaming system to meet our needs. It seems like there are just soooo many of them! Are any of you guys gamers? We need help choosing a system, and the descriptions of the different products seem to be written in Chinese. We'd like to spend around 100-200 dollars and have a device that does not have internet access or can have the internet access blocked. Are there any benefits to having a portable, hand held system, or would a system that hooks up to a TV monitor be better? I'd like to buy a 'cool' system. If we're buying one already, it might as well be a good one that has street cred for our kid. Any ideas?

I got my son ps4 but DO NOT hook it up with internet access!!!! Games only.

DVOM

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 1:31 pm
Thank you everyone, these replies are really helpful.

DVOM

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:

Yes, I'm sure that is going to be the case for me too. I'm not sure there is any way to get around it. It is going to be hard to strike a comfortable balance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics