Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What are best potatoes to use for latkes made from scratch?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 7:53 am
I would like to make potato latkes from scratch this year for a change. Tired of the frozen ones and the latke mixes. What are the best potatoes to use? There are so many types of potatoes out there, I want to get the best, or do they all come out pretty much the same?
Also, does anyone scrub the potatoes and then grate them with the peels on?
Your comments please!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 7:54 am
Idaho or Russet

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 2:09 pm
Any more comments or suggestions? Also a simple recipe would be appreciated...with few ingredients...TIA

flowerpower

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 2:21 pm
Make sure there is enough oil in the pot and that its hot

Grate potatoes and mix well with other stuff

4-5 med potatoes
3 eggs
Salt
Black pepper

Simple enough? I use idaho potatoes

pause

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 2:30 pm
Best secret I learned to making great latkes:
After grating the potatoes, squeeze out the juice from them. Makes the latkes come out crispy and yum!

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 5:51 pm
It's work but worth it. I use potatos which don't have so much water in them. Don't know what type that is but I'm sure Google can help you. After I peel and grate them I put it all in a towel and get rid of all the water. Then I mix them with the eggs. Came out amazing everytime

simcha2

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 6:22 pm
Yukon golds (if you're in the US).

levlongnprosper

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 7:10 pm
I find that anything starchy works best and the waxier potatoes end up making oily latkes.

I leave the skin on, but they won't look as light and golden once cooked.

SQUEEZE THE GRATED POTATOES before adding in your other ingredients.

Your other ingredients are: eggs, onions or onion powder, baking powder, and a little bit of flour or potato starch (for gluten free).

You can also add in other vegetables and spices. My favorite was a "samosa" latke that used indian curry flavors along with frozen peas and carrots in the batter.

For a "lighter" latke, replace about half of the potato with very finely grated parsnip or kohlrabi.

When frying, don't press down on the latkes or you'll lose the thick fluffiness and may end up with over oily ones.

If our latkes are a little underdone on the inside but will burn if you keep them in the pan, set them on a baking sheet and bake in the oven until the insides are done too.

Nonstick pans are lifesavers!

vet techy

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 7:17 pm
levlongnprosper wrote:
I find that anything starchy works best and the waxier potatoes end up making oily latkes.

I leave the skin on, but they won't look as light and golden once cooked.

SQUEEZE THE GRATED POTATOES before adding in your other ingredients.

Your other ingredients are: eggs, onions or onion powder, baking powder, and a little bit of flour or potato starch (for gluten free).

You can also add in other vegetables and spices. My favorite was a "samosa" latke that used indian curry flavors along with frozen peas and carrots in the batter.

For a "lighter" latke, replace about half of the potato with very finely grated parsnip or kohlrabi.

When frying, don't press down on the latkes or you'll lose the thick fluffiness and may end up with over oily ones.

If our latkes are a little underdone on the inside but will burn if you keep them in the pan, set them on a baking sheet and bake in the oven until the insides are done too.

Nonstick pans are lifesavers!

Oh the samosa sounds delicious. Do you happen to have a recipe?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen