Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Motzei Shabbos Chanukah party in house w broken Milch. oven

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:00 pm
Its a Motzei Shabbos Chanukah party for about 20 people (adults and kids) in my house w a broken Milchig oven.

What do I serve, and how do I keep it warm with no Milchig oven?

I dont want to repair the oven because its a big job and ill be putting in a new kitchen in the near future.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:03 pm
Bagels and spreads. Tuna egg salad cream cheese and cheese. Buy donuts. Salad

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:15 pm
Do you have a milchig stove top you can use? You can make pasta, penne a la vodka, marinara sauce....If your stovetop is broken maybe you can borrow a portable one.

salads.

Talk to a rav about using meat oven to make things like roast potatoes etc.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:20 pm
You can do pasta with 3 different sauces; white alfredo, pink cream sauce and green pesto.
Greek or Caesar cheese salad.
Cheese latkes, cheese blintzes, donuts.
Fish skewers, vegetable bundles.
Potato latkes that can be crisped and reheated uncovered in the other oven and served with above parve items on plate.
Baked ziti and lasagna can be baked with double wrappings in the other oven.
No bake cheese cake or cheese pie or dairy ice cream with toppings.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:36 pm
My main problem is keeping things warm.

I might be buying a lot like 9 x 12s of Eggplant Parmesan, Lasagna, etc and then I need pizza and french fries and garlic knots, etc for the kids, and keeping it all on a table, buffet style, throughout the party. (Who in BP is best for buying the 9 x 12s from?)

How do I keep all this food, warm, buffet style?

People use those tin warmers on stands, with the little flames underneath, but Ive never used them. Are they safe?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:39 pm
amother wrote:

I might be buying a lot like 9 x 12s of Eggplant Parmesan, Lasagna, etc and then I need pizza and french fries and garlic knots, etc for the kids, and keeping it all on a table, buffet style, throughout the party. (Who in BP is best for buying the 9 x 12s from?)

People use those tin warmers on stands, with the little flames underneath, but Ive never used them. Are they safe?

Sure you can use the sterno pans, wires and flames underneath. Make sure kids and napkins stay away. Mendelsohns makes amaizng lasagna and eggplant parm.

agreer

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:39 pm
Can u buy a cheap piece of metal or blech? Use a blech with low flames to keep food warm

mommyhood

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:49 pm
Do you have a fleishig oven, have you asked your Rav about burning it out to use for milchig?
If not, sternos do a good job of heating food if you put it in early enough. I haven't had an issue with safety just don't put them on the edge of the table where little fingers can reach.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:

Maybe not everyone holds this way... but I learned I can double wrap very well and put right into my fleishig oven. (Or even a treyf oven which is exactly what we do often when traveling).

flowerpower

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 3:01 pm
Penne ala vodka and fettucini alfredo don’t need an oven

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 3:04 pm
Do you have a convection oven? Could you switch your oven - not use for 24 hours and clean it? Some ppl do that.

levlongnprosper

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 5:40 pm
Out of curiosity, could you not do parve? Or even light fleishigs? With shabbos ending so early anyways, people might still be fleishigs too.

If you do parve or flieshigs, how about breakfast for dinner?

- Frittata/baked eggs or shakshouka (with chopped turkey bacon or salami)
- Parve challah french toast casserole
- Fruit salad

or

- bagels
- assorted veggies for bagels, like tomato, onion, lettuce
- lox, whitefish salad, whatever floats your boat
- cream cheese
- PB & J for the kids (if no allergies)
- delinut chocolate spread and/or marshmallow fluff also for the kids
- israeli salad
- fruit slices

Another option for parve would be american-israeli food, like falafel and salads. You can premake or buy premade falafel that are parve to heat up in your oven and buy salads and pitas and things.

For stovetop dairy, I liked the idea of pasta with a trio of sauces that someone else suggested. Fondu might be fun and kid friendly too!

watergirl

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 5:44 pm
Why cant you do fleishig?

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 6:03 pm
I think you can use a plata with a layer or two of foil on top to keep lasagna warm but check with your lor.

Also sternos are great and not so expensive. And safe. Fill big tray with hot water, light flames, and place trays of food in big tray.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 6:13 pm
Many people have only one oven and they use it for both milichigs and fleishigs. I've heard different shittos regarding how to do it, some say you have to burn it out, some say wait 24 hours, some say it has to be double wrapped, but I've never heard that it's absolutely not allowed to use the same oven for both.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 2:35 am
In a pinch you can always go out and buy a really cheap toaster oven. You can't bake very many things at once in there, but it works.

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 2:55 am
It's quite a luxury to have an entire oven dedicated to milchigs.

Most people do not, and manage just fine using the work-arounds suggested above.

It'll be fine. Smile

dankbar

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 10:13 am
I do baked ziti on my stove top. U can do spinach with melted cheese. U can do dairy soups like broccoli with cheese, french onion with cheese. Ravioli in sauce. Pancakes. Order sushi. Fish platters. Dairy drinks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen