Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Increasing milk supply NURSING

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:45 am
I’m just over two weeks postpartum and my breast milk supply seems to be decreasing more and more each day and I am currently supplementing mostly as there’s hardly anything there. Has anyone had this issue and was able to bring your milk supply back up to an optimal level? Can you share what has helped? Thank you.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:49 am
In my experience, the more I supplemented with formula, the less I produced. Instead of supplementing, I pumped between feedings. It helped me.

Also, when I dieted my milk supply went down. Drinking a lot of water and eating well (even if it meant putting on a few pounds after delivery) brought my supply back up.

Much hatzlacha!

mommy201

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:51 am
Ive heard ppl say use a handful of raw almonds a day. Also eat a high fat diet.
What I found helped me was alfalfa vitamins from shaklee, made me have tons of milk.

tsc3

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 10:00 am
The more u supplement the less you'll have, as mentioned above.
Pump, pump, pump. It is extremely hard and time consuming, especially with a very newborn who nurses almost every 3 hours but from my experience its really the only way. With my first I was basically either nursing or pumping all day.
Also, as an aside - u didn't mention if this is your first, but for me it took 6 weeks with my first till my milk came in fully, even with pumping. So I supplemented 1 formula bottle every 24 hours after nursing, for the first 6 weeks. I think also because my baby was very small and had a hard time fully latching on etc till he was a bit bigger at 6 weeks.
Hatzlacha.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 10:13 am
OP here...
Yes, I already pump after each feeding to try to increase my milk supply. I’ve been doing that from day four. The most I get while pumping after a feeding is 1/4 ounce. I supplement because my baby is hungry and always looking for food. I once pumped a full feeding to get an idea of how much milk I was producing. I got a lousy 3/4 of an ounce. I supplement with 2-3 ounces of formula per feeding, so I am obviously not producing enough.
No, this is not my first child. I had much more milk when I was younger...
Looking for help in increasing the supply.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 10:41 am
Has baby been checked for tongue and lip ties by a provider who is familiar with ties? (https://www.tt-lt-support-network.com/providers.html)Have you had a complete thyroid panel and ensured that your levels are not only in the normal range, but are optimal? Have you checked prolactin levels, iron, fasting insulin and glucose?

Sometimes the pump is not as effective as baby nursing. Can you get to an IBCLC who can weigh baby before and after feeding so you can know exactly how much baby is transferring? Don’t skip feedings but do continue to pump post-feed as much as possible.

These are some supplements that are said to help milk supply. If you can identify the cause, yo can use a supplement that’s known to help that specific issue.

Black seed oil
Moringa
Goats rue
Red raspberry leaf tea or tincture
Nettle tea or tincture
Torbangun
Alfalfa
Shatavari
Fennel

Ther might be others, these are the ones I know. Fenugreek is no longer being advised as in some cases it can actually tank your supply.

I’ve struggled with low supply. Hugs!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics