Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Techies:Laptop w. I7 or I5 processor and Solid State or 1TB?

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:46 am
Im being offered a Dell Laptop w. I7 thats more expensive than an I5 processor, and Solid State thats more expensive than 1TB?

How important is paying more for the I7 over the I5 processor?

How important is paying more for the Solid State over 1TB?

Im on my computer 24/6.
I enjoy quick computers that can handle multiple pages open at a time.
I use Whatsapp and Optimum App (watch TV) on this Laptop, but I never play any games, which needs more expensive computers.
I dislike buffering (slow loading and pauses) when watching anything on Youtube.

I posted here to be Anon, because Ive been asking people this.

TIA

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 10:08 am
I think the i7 is more important for speed than the hard drive, but I'm not positive.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 10:18 am
Solid state is more important then i7. A computer will run much faster with a solid state. Also the startup time is much shorter and things work faster. My old computer had one and I miss it becaus my new computer is much slower. However, if a solid state drive crashes it's much harder to fix.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 10:35 am
amother wrote:
Solid state is more important then i7. A computer will run much faster with a solid state. Also the startup time is much shorter and things work faster. My old computer had one and I miss it becaus my new computer is much slower. However, if a solid state drive crashes it's much harder to fix.

Yes the Dell person told me that the warranty on a Solid Sate is more expensive for that reason. Id only order 4 yr warranty with in home service, and theyd replace whatever has to be replaced for 4 years, making it a $1600 laptop, (Solid State with I7). Is it worth it?

I buy a laptop every 4 years and make sure to get a good warranty for the whole time.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 10:54 am
If your not using your computer for graphics or video editing you probally dont need a i7 and a solid state drive. Just one thing to be aware of. My previous 2 laptops had a solid state and when the memory on the harddrive filled up, that is when it crashed. Just always leave 5 or more GB of empty space on the harddrive (just in case)

doctorima

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 12:09 pm
You'll benefit much more from the SSD than from the i7 upgrade over the i5 processor. As with any computer, it's always advisable to back up your data on an external HD and/or in the cloud (e.g. iDrive).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics