Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Did I really just do that???

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 9:38 pm
My second grader gets picked up at 7 every morning to go to school. He has ADHD and is in a special school a bit of a distance away. Every morning I get up at 6 so we can get out on time. We've never yet missed his bus in the last nearly year and a half.

This morning I must have slept through my alarm because I woke up at 6:54. For about 5 seconds, I contemplated rushing to get myself and him dressed and out within 6 minutes, but then I decided there was not a chance we could do it. With a heavy heart, I picked up the phone and was about to call the bus company to tell them he would be staying home today. I felt sorry for him because he would be missing a friend's birthday party in school.

But THEN I remembered...last night when I told him it was time to take a shower, he told me he was too tired and he would take in the morning...and he crawled into bed and fell asleep in his clothes. So at 6:55 a.m., without taking much time to think, I threw on my own clothes, ran into his room and put shoes on over his dirty socks, sent him to wash negel vasser and go to the bathroom, and handed him a cup of milk to drink for breakfast while he waits for the bus. And a mere 5 minutes after he had woken up, he was on the bus. Dirty clothes and all.

Then I came into the house, still in the process of waking up myself, and asked myself, did I really just do that???

ROFL

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 9:48 pm
Great job ! Don’t feel guilty. You did what you had to do !

flowerpower

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 10:06 pm
You’re geshikt! Thankfully he made the bus and had a good day.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 10:44 pm
WOW! What an amazing story. Davka the day you woke up late he had fallen asleep in his clothes. I love it.

Aylat

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:04 am
Well done!

trixx

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:40 am
The teachers won't think anything of it and no one will judge you. He's better off not missing a day of routine and a birthday party!

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:44 am
Ha! That's brilliant! Do you also by chance have adhd? I find that kind of quick thinking is the upside of it. Lol!!!

I do feel a little sorry for a little 7 year old having only a glass of milk for breakfast. Does he get food in school?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 7:52 am
Thanks to all of you. I've been feeling guilty every time I think of him in school in his dirty clothing, and the fact that none of you criticized me for that makes me feel a little better. He's home now and he had a good day.

Quote:
Ha! That's brilliant! Do you also by chance have adhd? I find that kind of quick thinking is the upside of it. Lol!!!

I do feel a little sorry for a little 7 year old having only a glass of milk for breakfast. Does he get food in school?

No, I don't have ADHD and I don't think I'm a quick thinker in general. I just really wanted him to be able to go, I guess.

They eat breakfast as soon as they get to school, so the milk was just so he shouldn't travel on an empty stomach.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 7:58 am
He will survive a day in those clothes. It's okay. Take a deep breath and enjoy your day!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 8:14 am
No judgement here, I would totally do that. Mama's gotta do what Mama's gotta do! Very Happy

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 11:21 am
amother wrote:
Thanks to all of you. I've been feeling guilty every time I think of him in school in his dirty clothing, and the fact that none of you criticized me for that makes me feel a little better. He's home now and he had a good day.

Quote:

No, I don't have ADHD and I don't think I'm a quick thinker in general. I just really wanted him to be able to go, I guess.

They eat breakfast as soon as they get to school, so the milk was just so he shouldn't travel on an empty stomach.

A glass of milk is perfect then. Even without wouldn't have been too terrible.

You sound like a great smart mommy! There is no need for guilt. Glad he had a nice day!

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 12:50 pm
op, we are human just like you. I'm in admiration of how you handled the situation!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children