Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
No more young families in Brooklyn?
1  2  3  Next

amotheranon

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 1:35 pm
Year after year it seems that another young family is moving to LI, NJ, PA, Israel, etc. or at least planning to in their near future. In the supermarkets, I rarely see women my age (low 20s). I have a store (BH) in Flatbush as well, and most of my customers are older. Am I missing something or are you noticing the same?

Sebastian

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 1:36 pm
The housing market is crazy

Cheiny

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 1:38 pm
amotheranon wrote:
Year after year it seems that another young family is moving to LI, NJ, PA, Israel, etc. or at least planning to in their near future. In the supermarkets, I rarely see women my age (low 20s). I have a store (BH) in Flatbush as well, and most of my customers are older. Am I missing something or are you noticing the same?

Yes it’s become well known that many young people have been priced out of Brooklyn and are going elsewhere. I’m actually a bit relieved. It’s gotten too crowded.

Mommy1:)

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 1:39 pm
amotheranon wrote:

Unless they are doctors or have serious financial support, what are the chances a young family can afford the rent or mortgage?

sub

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 1:44 pm
all ages are leaving I have workmates and aquaintences that moved and they are over 40. the reason is housing plain and simple. most couples who are moving are late 20's or early 30's. They need to move and the rents are crazy. why pay 2500-3000 for a 3 bedroom when that can go towards a 4 bedroom 2200 sq ft house on 1/2 acre land?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 1:45 pm
sub wrote:
all ages are leaving I have workmates and aquaintences that moved and they are over 40. the reason is housing plain and simple. most couples who are moving are late 20's or early 30's. They need to move and the rents are crazy. why pay 2500-3000 for a 3 bedroom when that can go towards a 4 bedroom 2200 sq ft house on 1/2 acre land?

2200 square feet? You mean 2900 square feet. That’s without the basement.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 2:09 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Yes it’s become well known that many young people have been priced out of Brooklyn and are going elsewhere. I’m actually a bit relieved. It’s gotten too crowded.

And I feel bad for some young couples who I know would be great neighbors for you (I assume you're older): they'll shovel your driveway for you for starters ;-D

They would love to buy. They have shuls, schools, friends, and family.

Leaving aside hashkafa behind your statement, that doesn't bode well for the sustainability of the institutions you need.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 2:13 pm
Were still here. Tongue Out
But I know what you mean.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 2:15 pm
Hey - that imamother emoji changed!! I wasn't sticking out my tongue, lol.
ETA: Wow look at all those new interactive emoji options on imamother. LOL

sub

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 2:36 pm
The demographics always change. East side mived to williamsburg in early 20 th century. Williamsburg crowd is moving into bp. Bp moved to kensington and midwood. Midwood moved to five towns. And now crowds are all moving to nj areas and monsey no matter which derech they belong to.
Yup you are right 2200 is w/o basement. Did I mention the gated pool, outdoor firepit and playground with swings and slides oh and the 2 car garage?
However there are drawbacks. Nothing is within walking distance. And there is no shabbbos atmosphere of walking to shuls and simchas while meeting others. Grandchildren can’t just pop in and communities are built around certain age groups

sub

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 2:39 pm
Mommy1:) wrote:
Unless they are doctors or have serious financial support, what are the chances a young family can afford the rent or mortgage?

They live in furnished basements or
one bedroom apt for a number of years
don't go on vacation
save every penny
and both work
No serious support and they buy smaller and further out.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 3:56 pm
To live in ny comfortably with a frum family you need to earn 500k a year. Most people can't get there no matter c how hard they try

justmarried:)

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:18 pm
Nope I left and never looking back. Just not practical place to raise my family. Much happier where I am. And many people I know left also or plan to leave soon.

sub

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:42 pm
ectomorph wrote:
To live in ny comfortably with a frum family you need to earn 500k a year. Most people can't get there no matter c how hard they try

How many people are you in your family? 1/2 million is quite high.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:44 pm
sub wrote:
How many people are you in your family? 1/2 million is quite high.
not me, a family with 6-10 kids

987gold

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:50 pm
We have 6 kids
Thought we were ok with 200k about. It's tough and we don't own a house...but kind of desperate with 1 bathroom...3 bedroom...good location bH...we have jobs and family...where should we go? We like this neighborhood.... every day discussion...

Emotional

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 5:03 pm
sub wrote:
don't go on vacation
save every penny
and both work

Um, that's the case for most people I know who have simply been priced out of Brooklyn.

sequoia

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 5:03 pm
Yes. It feels like everyone is abandoning me and moving to White Plains.

Emotional

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 5:18 pm
sub wrote:
don't go on vacation
save every penny
and both work

And not only that, but nowadays most people are doing all this anyway, to raise a family in today's economy. Having to pay 2600 a month for a 3-bedroom apartment where your landlord barely tolerates your presence is something most families can do without.

amotheranon

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 7:46 pm
did anyone here move out of Brooklyn and regret it?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics