Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
No more young families in Brooklyn?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

jmom1

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 11:09 pm
I'm in my 20s and still live in Brooklyn Smile are we the last two young souls here?

But possibly not for long... we are thinking about moving out, mainly because of crazy high house prices and we would like to buy sooner than later..

Can someone here state a good reasons to STAY in brooklyn? (that would warrant putting up with the traffic, no parking, not many young ppl in area with young kids, paying tons for a house that needs work, etc...)

Emotional

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 11:16 pm
jmom1 wrote:
Can someone here state a good reasons to STAY in brooklyn? (that would warrant putting up with the traffic, no parking, not many young ppl in area with young kids, paying tons for a house that needs work, etc...)

Well, for people that just plain can't afford it anymore, all the good reasons don't matter...
If you can technically afford it, you may want to stay because maybe you grew up there, you're near family, it's familiar to you, you like the schools, the diversity...

Rappel

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 11:18 pm
amotheranon wrote:
did anyone here move out of Brooklyn and regret it?

Not I. Wink

dovebird

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 11:41 pm
jmom1 wrote:
I'm in my 20s and still live in Brooklyn Smile are we the last two young souls here?

But possibly not for long... we are thinking about moving out, mainly because of crazy high house prices and we would like to buy sooner than later..

Make that three! Hi Maybe if we get a minyan of amothers we can start our own shule LOL

gittylove

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 11:52 pm
jmom1 wrote:

Good reasons would be living near parents and Family. Kids are in school. Just too much to move and start fresh. Though it looks like I may have to join the moving out group....just pushing it off I dont want to see

ectomorph

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 11:52 pm
I would love to live in Brooklyn. Choice of schools closr to family eating out options cheap groceries minyanim
The list goes on

Of vm course the col is sky high

mybusyima

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 11:57 pm
We are a young family living in Brooklyn! I actually love the fact that there aren't so many young families around me, because it really lessens the peer pressure that other places have. Most of the young families are working middle class families that are down to earth and don't have money for any extras once they pay mortgage/rent and tuition!

hotzenplotz

Post Tue, Dec 04 2018, 11:40 am
Brooklyn has become a wonderful place to live ever since so many people have moved.

lioncub

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 2:50 pm
Brooklyner here
I love taking the stroller out and walk to the groceries, or just do a quick stop if I'm missing one or 2 things, you don't get that convenience out of town. Putting a baby and a stroller in the car is a whole other game. You also can't send your older kids do small errands for you, which is great for building indepence.
I'd love a huge backyard, and discussed moving out with my husband, but it really comes down to him being a strong participant in his shul, and enjoying learning and davening there. We might never find a place where we "fit in" like we found here.

skee

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 2:58 pm
Mommy1:) wrote:
Unless they are doctors or have serious financial support, what are the chances a young family can afford the rent or mortgage?

Lol, doctors are generally not the ones making the kind of money to afford a house in Brooklyn. But, yes, you're correct that most young families can't afford to live in Brooklyn. Many I know have moved to Lakewood, 5T/FR, or further OOT. Except a few who bought in Marine Park.

newyorkmom

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 3:04 pm
Young family(upper 30’s) living in Marine park but struggle ever so often wondering if we are missing out on a better quality of life living out of Brooklyn. But I have a great job here, family, friends and kids settled in school so hard to make that move. But very tempted to do it !

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 3:15 pm
I'm in my 20's paying $800 a month for rent in Lakewood for spacious 2 bedroom apartment. If I would have stayed in Flatbush I would be paying almost $2000 for a one bedroom...
Of course I left.

Batsheva1

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 3:18 pm
amotheranon wrote:
Best thing I ever did besides marry my husband. Never regretted it. Not once and I've been out for 25 years.

gold21

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 3:19 pm
In terms of affordability, is 5 Towns more affordable than Brooklyn?

There has to be another reason people are moving out besides housing prices.

Parking situation, lack of Eruv ,etc.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 3:31 pm
Real Estate in Brooklyn is simply unaffordable.

Since there are many other options with full frum amenities, its a very basic equation.

(we debated for years about moving out. My husband didnt want to commute so that was that. We're still here. Paying our tuchus off in housing costs)

silverlining3

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 4:18 pm
amotheranon wrote:

I absolutely don't regret moving, but I'll always stay a city girl at heart. I love seeing people (not necessarily talking to them) and the hustle bustle.

I also think, as long as the majority of my sisters live in Brooklyn, I'll miss them as a bunch. I'm a stay at home mom, so yea, I miss the lunching by my mom, going and eating out with sisters, Popping up and staying to schmooze. Something about family.

The convenience of having everything around you, walking distance, is also great, but not having that I'm used to by now, bh.

Though I do know someone who moved to Monroe, lived there for 2 years, was miserable, and moved back.

Last edited by silverlining3 on Thu, Aug 13 2020, 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Eselle13

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 4:27 pm
Hi! Mid twenties here and just bought a house in Flatbush. There's actually a few young families on my block.

I grew up here, went to Lakewood for a few years, saved up money for a down payment and came back. There's nothing like being in walking distance to family. My 2 sisters both live here too (one even married a lakewood boy and convinced him to live in Flatbush)

mig100

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 4:39 pm
gold21 wrote:
In terms of affordability, is 5 Towns more affordable than Brooklyn?

There has to be another reason people are moving out besides housing prices.

Parking situation, lack of Eruv ,etc.

Once many left for cheaper housing, even those who can actually afford it are less interested in living in brooklyn

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 5:25 pm
Yep... Born and bred Brooklynite.. Loved it..

Met my husband , he said no way, no how..That was the biggest dealbreaker for him..

My mother passed away in 2010. I could of assumed her rent subsidized 9th floor apt for 1200 a month..

I rented nice homes with huge back yards in Lakewood for 800..
My current apt is very affordable..

Would love to go to a 55 plus place in Jackson or Manchester...
No more Brooklyn for me in this gilgul

ExtraCredit

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 7:27 pm
silverlining3 wrote:
I absolutely don't regret moving, but I'll always stay a city girl at heart. I love seeing people (not necessarily talking to them) and the hustle bustle.

I also think, as long as the majority of my sisters live in Brooklyn, I'll miss them as a bunch. I'm a stay at home mom, so yea, I miss the lunching by my mom, going and eating out with sisters, Popping up and staying to schmooze. Something about family.

The convenience of having everything around you, walking distance, is also great, but not having that I'm used to by now, bh.

Though I do know someone who moved to Monroe, lived there for 2 years, was miserable, and moved back.

I know a couple of city people who moved out and went running back to the city after a year or two.
Either they missed their family too much, or the local shopping conveniences. Then there are those that liked the old schools better. Moving to a new place always comes along with risks.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics