Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cast iron from Israel

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:13 pm
I bought a cast iron pan in Israel about a year ago. I assumed it was kosher because I bought it from a Jewish, Israeli store but now I'm having second thoughts and feeling worried. (I've used it many times...) I'm not in Israel anymore so I can't go back to the store to double check.
Anybody have any insights? Thoughts?

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:16 pm
you can ask a shayla
you can kasher and retoivel just in case

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:16 pm
It most likely needs to be toiveled. There are very few items here that were only made and owned by Jews. Those that are are often of lower quality.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:17 pm
I toiveled it! I was worried about the seasoning. Sorry for not being clear!

Teomima

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:23 pm
amother wrote:
I toiveled it! I was worried about the seasoning. Sorry for not being clear!

Are you sure it was preseasoned? I don't think any of the cast iron I've bought here was preseasoned.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:33 pm
Teomima wrote:
Are you sure it was preseasoned? I don't think any of the cast iron I've bought here was preseasoned.

I am not sure. I didn't think it was at the time but I recently watched a food blogger say that kosher cast irons have never been available and I guess that's what planted the seed of doubt in my head. I don't think it said that it wasn't seasoned but I assumed it wasn't. Does that make sense?

Teomima

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:52 pm
amother wrote:
I am not sure. I didn't think it was at the time but I recently watched a food blogger say that kosher cast irons have never been available and I guess that's what planted the seed of doubt in my head. I don't think it said that it wasn't seasoned but I assumed it wasn't. Does that make sense?

I think a big selling point for US made cast iron is the seasoning, but I don't believe the same goes for all cast iron, everywhere. Personally I've always stripped and seasoned my pans myself. My latest baby I use for dairy and I really ground down the surface well, before seasoning it, and it's amazing how well it works.

In any case, I think if you're especially concerned, if you have a self cleaning setting in your oven, that should be enough to "cook off" the seasoning (I googled the subject and COR has an informative page about kashering cast iron).

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 2:33 pm
Teomima wrote:
I think a big selling point for US made cast iron is the seasoning, but I don't believe the same goes for all cast iron, everywhere. Personally I've always stripped and seasoned my pans myself. My latest baby I use for dairy and I really ground down the surface well, before seasoning it, and it's amazing how well it works.

In any case, I think if you're especially concerned, if you have a self cleaning setting in your oven, that should be enough to "cook off" the seasoning (I googled the subject and COR has an informative page about kashering cast iron).

Thank you so much! I'll do that.

tweek

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 6:05 pm
I recently read (can't remember where) that at kosher fest they showed an ok certified cast iron pan. I thought that was brilliant!

Anyone have any information about this? Where can I get one?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen