Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Report cards!

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 5:40 pm
My daughter is in kindergarten (5-6). She is my oldest child. Her report card shows many Bs and Cs. She’s one of the youngest in her class.

Last year, I questioned putting her ahead or holding her back. Her teachers and principals thought I’m overthinking it and told me she’s doing great.

Now I’m wondering if I made the right decision by not pushing the issue. I’m an educator myself, and generally I tell parents that when they’re in doubt, better to hold back and be on top of the class than push forward and be struggling academically forever.

Do I begin pushing the issue now or leave it as is and remediate??

Opinions please.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 6:07 pm
Why is she getting a report card in kindergarten?!?

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 6:07 pm
I'm a teacher, too. Here's what I'd tell a friend in your situation.

1) 5/6 is still a decent age to hold back. (I'm not saying out must be done, just that it's still normal in first grade, and very sad in third.)

2) Speak to the school again. Communicate your concerns.
I wouldn't just have individual phone conversations. In our school we'd hold a meeting for the parents with all staff members involved in the child's education- Principals, Hebrew and English teachers, any remedial teachers, Title 1, etc.

3) As a parent, regardless of the decision, hire a tutor or remediate on your own. Ask the teacher what are the biggest weaknesses you should focus on, and ask for intervention worksheets or regular worksheets.

Hatzlacha rabba!

(I teach a mid-elementary grade, and it boggles my mind to have second grade readers in my class. Where was the intervention, remediation, and possible holding back? It didn't get easier as the kids get older...)

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 6:13 pm
One more thing.
I just noticed that you write she's one of the youngest in her class.
My oldest is second to youngest in their class. They had a very hard time until third grade (title1 etc.). Bh things got better after that.
I wish I had held them back when they were younger.
It would have helped academically and socially too. This child still has a hard time socially.
Is your daughter?

I have a relative who is a preschool teacher, and almost every year the moros recommend holding someone back.I
They only do it if there are more than one reason: eg. Emotional immaturity, not getting alef bais, not able to follow directions, poor motor skills...

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 6:15 pm
If she is getting these marks and is the youngest then I would totally consider putting her back!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics